*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,128 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

How does a fairly well-known figure in the ABQ community change his name to Saul Goodman and keep practicing law in the town he was barred in?
He's fairly well-known? By whom? Only the criminals really and they only know him as Saul Goodman. They have no idea who Jimmy McGill is.
aTmAg
AG
Junkhead said:

Huell Babineaux said:

How does a fairly well-known figure in the ABQ community change his name to Saul Goodman and keep practicing law in the town he was barred in?
He's fairly well-known? By whom? Only the criminals really and they only know him as Saul Goodman. They have no idea who Jimmy McGill is.
He was on a billboard and in several commercials. When he introduces himself as Saul, people would say, "aren't you the McGill guy in those stupid ass commercials?"
Belton Ag
AG
The assistant DA from the last episode knows who he is, along with probably everyone else in the DA's office. There's no way he steals an identity and becomes a practicing defense attorney in Albuquerque.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Maybe he could get everyone who knows him as jimmy to sign an NDA.
Bunk Moreland
not to go too far down the rabbit hole, but the people who would certify him as an attorney are different than all the folks at the DA's office or HHM, etc. He could just as easily tell colleagues he goes by Saul Goodman (just a name change) and they wouldn't be wise to the fact that he used a different identity to get licensed.
aTmAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

not to go too far down the rabbit hole, but the people who would certify him as an attorney are different than all the folks at the DA's office or HHM, etc. He could just as easily tell colleagues he goes by Saul Goodman (just a name change) and they wouldn't be wise to the fact that he used a different identity to get licensed.
A lawyer can verify or deny this, but I imagine that the system requires lawyers practicing in their courts to have all the proper licenses and paperwork on file. And since he was a court appointed attorney, many of those same people would recognize him as the guy who used to go by Jimmy. He would have to basically forge everything, which he could have done a long time ago if it were true that none of these lawyers talk to each other in that town.
UnderoosAg
AG
aTmAg said:

In a normal construction sense, I don't see what Werner did alone as being anymore dangerous than when they were all down there planting the explosives. At least not dangerous enough to freak out like that, since the power was cut off at that point.

I think the reason he was flipping out is that he thought Mike was trying to send Kai down there to be "accidentally" killed in some sort of trap. Werner volunteered to go down there in his place to save his life, but he couldn't be 100% sure that whatever imagine trap was in place could be "turned off" at that point. So he thought there was a decent chance that he was about to die.

That's my theory at least.

Mike killing someone in what should have been the last blast would have delayed, if not derailed, the whole project.

Kai set the charges, and Werner was right behind him checking things. That's why Werner said it was his job. He just snapped and wigged out.
JYDog90
AG
This. Mike isn't going to blow somebody up when he's got to go down there and clean all that crap up after it's done. Mike is a lot tidier than that.
Formerly Willy Wonka
aTmAg
AG
UnderoosAg said:

aTmAg said:

In a normal construction sense, I don't see what Werner did alone as being anymore dangerous than when they were all down there planting the explosives. At least not dangerous enough to freak out like that, since the power was cut off at that point.

I think the reason he was flipping out is that he thought Mike was trying to send Kai down there to be "accidentally" killed in some sort of trap. Werner volunteered to go down there in his place to save his life, but he couldn't be 100% sure that whatever imagine trap was in place could be "turned off" at that point. So he thought there was a decent chance that he was about to die.

That's my theory at least.

Mike killing someone in what should have been the last blast would have delayed, if not derailed, the whole project.

Kai set the charges, and Werner was right behind him checking things. That's why Werner said it was his job. He just snapped and wigged out.
I'm not saying that Mike was trying to kill Kai. I'm just wondering about what was going through Werner's head at the moment (rational or not).

The fact that it should have been the last blast might have been a reason Werner would have thought that Kai was being sent in there to die. Kai was no longer needed for any more blasts.

When Werner was right behind Kai checking things, he had no fear or anything. He clearly felt he was in no danger. Then suddenly he wigs out when he goes back in there despite the fact the power had been cut? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
aTmAg
AG
willie wonka said:

This. Mike isn't going to blow somebody up when he's got to go down there and clean all that crap up after it's done. Mike is a lot tidier than that.
Yeah, I agree. Mike was not going to blow somebody up. But does Werner think that? I'm not sure. Werner was threatened last week by Mike. He knows better than everybody else the nature of the guys they work for. He wasn't trying to visit his wife for a weekend, he was trying to fly to Germany and never fly back. It seems clear to me that he was scared for his life. Not merely home sick.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I love that aTmAg keeps replying to me when he knows I have him on ignore. I have no idea what he's posting.
Old Tom Morris
Right. I thikn the whole "Werner is afraid he's gonna get killed at the end so is escaping before Mike gets the chance" is getting way overblown. The guy just cracked and had to get out of there. He went from asking for permission to asking for forgiveness. I'm guessing the note is a combo of apology and instructions on how to finish the job. While he obviously knows this is a very serious job with very serious people behind it, it may actually be a little bit of the opposite - he may not appreciate just how dangerous Gus is as much as he should. It's not like he could have crafted some genius plan for both he and his wife to disappear from the face of the earth. This was a fairly rudimentary escape.
Liquid Wrench
He's working with explosives, underground, thousands of miles from home and nobody knows he's down there - besides his coworkers and the drug dealers who are keeping him in hiding. It's not hard to understand a little anxiety in that situation.
Bunk Moreland
if anything, the tease was that he'd go into his room that night and hang himself. That was the swerve.
aTmAg
AG
Junkhead said:

I love that aTmAg keeps replying to me when he knows I have him on ignore. I have no idea what he's posting.
Others are reading it. I don't care if you see it or not.
aTmAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

He's working with explosives, underground, thousands of miles from home and nobody knows he's down there - besides his coworkers and the drug dealers who are keeping him in hiding. It's not hard to understand a little anxiety in that situation.
He was not anxious last week. He was merely asking for some R&R for his men.

Yet this week he hyperventilates bigtime and then performs a great escape that would make American POWs proud. On top of that, he then tries to run through the desert on foot. That's not mere "anxiety".

I think the turning point was the fact that he was threatened by Mike last week. He know knows that his death is on the table. I think that changed everything.
Bunk Moreland
the timeline of the show advanced more than one week since the last episode.
Pignorant
AG
Kim and Jimmy will try to pull a fast one during the appeal process and that's how Jimmy gets his license back.
aTmAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

the timeline of the show advanced more than one week since the last episode.
How long? I didn't think it was by that much. Jimmy was talking about his impending hearing last episode.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

That's not mere "anxiety".
Call it what you want, Doc, but the show has built up to something happening with him after living in a guarded hole longer than he expected.

*Time jumped a lot in the previous episode. This isn't a real time day in the life show. Some episodes have seemed like they barely covered a day, others have covered more ground. But more than a year has gone by this season.
Big Al 1992
AG
No way the Germans make it out. Said before they all know Mikes name and with Werner MIA they are toast. To point out they were all chanting Mike Mike Mike!
aTmAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

That's not mere "anxiety".
Call it what you want, Doc, but the show has built up to something happening with him after living in a guarded hole longer than he expected.

*Time jumped a lot in the previous episode. This isn't a real time day in the life show. Some episodes have seemed like they barely covered a day, others have covered more ground. But more than a year has gone by this season.
Didn't Saul say he was a month or less away from being a lawyer again last episode? That's not a lot of time. Not enough for Werner to go from calm to wigged out.
Bunk Moreland
Quote:

Didn't Saul say he was a month or less away from being a lawyer again last episode? That's not a lot of time. Not enough for Werner to go from calm to wigged out.

Why do you state this as if you know that is a fact? Maybe it was enough time for Werner. Maybe he was hiding his emotions when he was trying to be calm. Good lord the **** you string out for no reason.
TXAG 05
AG
In the last episode he was talking about how he'd never been away from his wife this long. So it's not like this came out of nowhere. I think he has just had enough and just wants to go home.
dave94
AG
I think it was obvious that Werner was having a panic attack. If he even suspected that he was in danger via Mike, then why did he talk himself into finishing his job? He's just cracking after being away from his wife for so long, which is exactly how he came across to Mike later.
Bunk Moreland
Cstrickland05 said:

In the last episode he was talking about how he'd never been away from his wife this long. So it's not like this came out of nowhere. I think he has just had enough and just wants to go home.

Yeah but he didn't spend the required 6 months that it takes to go from calm to freaking out when put in an intense situation under incredible circumstances with no communication to the outside world. It's scientifically proven that he has to endure that for a longer period of time than the show presented before he can realistically freak out.
Burdizzo
AG
Just because we didn't see it on the screen didn't mean it didn't happen. Remember the project is far behind schedule, and these guys have been sequestered the whole time, much longer than they expected.

Gilligan is very deliberate about what he shows and what he doesn't, but you may not know if this happened and we get to see it in a later episode or some other backstory.

It is one of the reasons I am drawn to this story telling. I can't be too quick to assume anything because there may be something obvious that is also incorrect that I learn about later.
Duncan Idaho
Bunk Moreland said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Yeah but he didn't spend the required 6 months that it takes to go from calm to freaking out when put in an intense situation under incredible circumstances with no communication to the outside world. It's scientifically proven that he has to endure that for a longer period of time than the show presented before he can realistically freak out.

Did those scientific test include having to handle a misfired stick of dynamite?

I am pretty sure that would cut down on the fuse to crazy.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Didn't Saul say he was a month or less away from being a lawyer again last episode?
Yes, and didn't Jimmy have his bar hearing this episode? Which means that a month has just gone by in Jimmy's timeline. We don't know exactly how much time has gone by in Werner's timeline.

However, when Werner first met w/ Mike, they were talking about 6-8 moth job I think. He said this has taken much longer than he expected. Maybe close to a year? We know from Jimmy's bar situation that about a year has gone by this season.

And Werner was not perfectly fine last episode. He was getting drunk, talking to strangers about the super secret job, and opening up to Mike about what he cares most about in life and about his father's lasting legacy. Don't know if you've ever spent much time around adult men, been when an adult male work colleague starts talking to you like that, it usually means something is going on in his head.

But regardless, panic attacks can come out of nowhere. There's no set timeline.
aTmAg
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Quote:

Why do you state this as if you know that is a fact? Maybe it was enough time for Werner. Maybe he was hiding his emotions when he was trying to be calm. Good lord the **** you string out for no reason.
I'm saying that I think Werner is wigged out because Mike threatened his life last episode. Much of this thread has been dedicated to wondering if the Germans would be alive by the end of the season. It seems to me, that Werner has figured this out after Mike's threat and has been trying to find an excuse to get out of there. That makes a whole lot more sense than for Werner to suddenly wig out because he has been cooped up for 9 months rather than merely 8 (or whatever it was).

And it takes 2 parties to "string" something out. People have their opinions, I think some are wrong. I have my opinions, you think some of mine are wrong. This is a discussion board. That's the whole point. If you don't like your thoughts challenged, then write a diary.
aTmAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

Didn't Saul say he was a month or less away from being a lawyer again last episode?
Yes, and didn't Jimmy have his bar hearing this month? Which means that a month has just gone by in Jimmy's timeline. We don't know exactly how much time has gone by in Werner's timeline.

However, when Werner first met w/ Mike, they were talking about 6-8 moth job I think. He said this has taken much longer than he expected. Maybe close to a year? We know from Jimmy's bar situation that about a year has gone by this season.

And Werner was not perfectly fine last episode. He was getting drunk, talking to strangers about the super secret job, and opening up to Mike about what he cares most about in life and about his father's lasting legacy. Don't know if you've ever spent much time around adult men, been when an adult male work colleague starts talking to you like that, it usually means something is going on in his head.

But regardless, panic attacks can come out of nowhere. There's no set timeline.
This show doesn't seem to do the Westworld timeline thing. I can't imagine a few weeks went by in Jimmys world and 6 months went by in Werner's. That would be a drastic departure on how they typically do things.

I agree that panic attacks can come out of nowhere... but you don't think that Mike's "come to Jesus" meeting with Werner might have a lot to do with it?
Liquid Wrench
They've been operating under the threat of Mike since the get go. I think the risk of working with the fuses - which wasn't his regular job - just drove it all home at once and he realized, for real, that he could die in a hole where nobody knows where he is. Thus, the panic attack.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

This show doesn't seem to do the Westworld timeline thing. I can't imagine a few weeks went by in Jimmys world and 6 months went by in Werner's.
It isn't "Lost" either. The time passage was established in the dialogue, it's just a little more vague on the Germans end.
aTmAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

They've been operating under the threat of Mike since the get go. I think the risk of working with the fuses - which wasn't his regular job - just drove it all home at once and he realized, for real, that he could die in a hole where nobody knows where he is. Thus, the panic attack.
I get the impression that they work with explosives a lot. Part of what he did was to inspect Kai's work before they went up the stairs. He said, "it's my job" when he volunteered to go down there and inspect the wiring. They all knew what lights to expect on detonator box thing.
aTmAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

This show doesn't seem to do the Westworld timeline thing. I can't imagine a few weeks went by in Jimmys world and 6 months went by in Werner's.
It isn't "Lost" either. The time passage was established in the dialogue, it's just a little more vague on the Germans end.
I haven't watched Lost, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

My point is, that if a month went by in Jimmy's timeline, then a month went by in the German timeline too. Nowhere in BB or BCS up to this point has the timelines diverged like Westworld. It would be weird for them to start that now (and not make it obvious).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.