*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,206 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
aTmAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Counterpoint said:

aTmAg said:

So a thunderstorm cut off my satellite for a period in the middle. Basically it was the scene after Jimmy tried to convince HHM to consider the shop lifter all the way until the next commercial. What did I miss?
He ran out to meet the shoplifter and told her she wasn't getting the scholarship. That she never was, that the system was rigged, and that one mistake was going to follow her for her whole life. But she was still going to win and cut corners and kick ass, etc. Basically he was saying how he felt about himself.
Thanks
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ag_07 said:

One thing I'm hung up on...

Is it a safe assumption that Gail will be finishing the lab?

If so why wouldn't Gus just have used him in the beginning?
Gale is not in construction. I think Gus just wanted to show him the progress. They will obviously need to bring in a new crew to finish, Which would help explain the timeline gap between now and when Walt finally starts to cook for Gus in the new lab.
Texas 1836
AG
Seeing more of Chuck just confirms to me he was the real ahole of the two brothers, not Jimmy. Or at least just as bad.

Jimmy's speech to the board didn't really speak highly of Chuck, except as a lawyer. "He's a great lawyer, but a piece of crap everywhere else."

Glad he's gone.

And I always liked Squiggy better.
Burdizzo
AG
Lalo is like the anti-Mike. Hardcore, bright, thorough, but pure evil. Lalo didn't have to kill the clerk, but he did. Mike didn't want to kill Werner, but he had to.

I look forward to the storyline between these two characters
captainsubtext
Quote:

Quote:

Seeing more of Chuck just confirms to me he was the real ahole of the two brothers, not Jimmy. Or at least just as bad.

Jimmy's speech to the board didn't really speak highly of Chuck, except as a lawyer. "He's a great lawyer, but a piece of crap everywhere else."

Glad he's gone.

And I always liked Squiggy better
I was hoping he'd sing "Big Bottom" in the karaoke bar. And I disagree, they both are aholes, but Chuck took care of his drunk brother later that karaoke night.
91_Aggie
AG
Junkhead said:

Ag_07 said:

Gale is not in construction. I think Gus just wanted to show him the progress. They will obviously need to bring in a new crew to finish, Which would help explain the timeline gap between now and when Walt finally starts to cook for Gus in the new lab.
Gale was going to be Gus's original meth cooker for the underground lab.. but then Walt's pure blue meth was discovered and Gus wanted Walt to run the lab with Gale as assistant.
Gus wanted Gale to learn from Walt, and then Gus could eventually get rid of Walt.

Oh yeah, spoilers for Breaking Bad, but I'm not going to spoiler tag them... it's your fault for not watching a 5+ year old series by now.

Know Your Enemy
AG
91_Aggie said:

Junkhead said:

Ag_07 said:

Gale was going to be Gus's original meth cooker for the underground lab.. but then Walt's pure blue meth was discovered and Gus wanted Walt to run the lab with Gale as assistant.
Gus wanted Gale to learn from Walt, and then Gus could eventually get rid of Walt.

Oh yeah, spoilers for Breaking Bad, but I'm not going to spoiler tag them... it's your fault for not watching a 5+ year old series by now.

No ****, Sherlock. Not sure why this post was even necessary.
91_Aggie
AG
Junkhead said:

91_Aggie said:

Junkhead said:

Ag_07 said:

No ****, Sherlock. Not sure why this post was even necessary.
lighten up, francis... mainly was posting for the guy you replied to.
Ag_07
AG
And I know all that too.

To me they made it look/sound like Gail would be taking over the construction of the lab. At least to me that's how it was implied.

That's what I was curious about. I know how it all went down in BB.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ag_07 said:

And I know all that too.

To me they made it look/sound like Gail would be taking over the construction of the lab. At least to me that's how it was implied.

I don't think it looked/sounded like that at all, nor do I think it was implied.

It was more of a fan treat than anything else - look at this lab Gale. Gale gets excited about working there even in it's unfinished state. Just a reminder to us fans of what is coming - Gale and Walt working there. But Gus tells him no and puts him in his place. Gale sheepishly leaves.

I don't know how you would think Gale was going to do the construction based on that interaction.

Burdizzo
AG
Ag_07 said:

And I know all that too.

That was not what I gathered from that scene. Gail was anxious to start using the space unfinished. He only discussed temporary measures to make one batch, and Gus made it clear there would be no cooking until the space was finished.

That said it was a little curious why he would bring Gail in to see it at this time. Gus is pretty good at compartmentalizing his operation so that the only person that knows too much is himself. If Gail was only supposed to be the cook, he doesn't need to see the progress on the construction.
Texas 1836
AG
captainsubtext said:

Quote:

Quote:

Glad he's gone.

And I always liked Squiggy better
I was hoping he'd sing "Big Bottom" in the karaoke bar. And I disagree, they both are aholes, but Chuck took care of his drunk brother later that karaoke night.

I didn't say Jimmy wasn't. But I can't think of one selfless thing Chuck did. I can think of several Jimmy did.
I think Jimmy's remorse of the old lady dying was genuine.

Jimmy seems to have both sides of a coin. Chuck just seems to have one.

And yes, CHuck helped him back to the room ... after he grabbed the microphone and went all in on "Winner takes it All"
Texaggie7nine
Texas 1836 said:

Glad he's gone.

I'm still kind of lost on what the point of that scene was. It showed Chuck vouching for Jimmy, Jimmy wanting Chuck to enjoy himself, Chuck, taking over and enjoying himself once Jimmy pushed him, Chuck taking care of Jimmy.... Why did Chuck sleep at Jimmy's apartment and not go home to his house?

Was this scene to show that Jimmy did have a reason to still care for Chuck?
7nine
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Burdizzo said:

Ag_07 said:

And I know all that too.

That was not what I gathered from that scene. Gail was anxious to start using the space unfinished. He only discussed temporary measures to make one batch, and Gus made it clear there would be no cooking until the space was finished.

That said it was a little curious why he would bring Gail in to see it at this time. Gus is pretty good at compartmentalizing his operation so that the only person that knows too much is himself. If Gail was only supposed to be the cook, he doesn't need to see the progress on the construction.
imho.... that was simply a treat or gift to viewers. Sometimes they do that. No real reason to show it to Gale at this point.

Ag_07
AG
Maybe I just misread it and based on the timing jumped to conclusions.

Just thought it was odd that he brought Gail in just as the Germans were going out. If he wanted him involved in the construction why not bring him in earlier to see it being built?

The timing more than anything got me thinking.
Bayside Tiger Ag
Still no answer on Jimmy's 1st or 2nd wife. He easily could have been lying, but you never know.

In one of the special features for last night's finale, Gilligan mentioned he told the writers that not EVERY reference in B.B. needs a payoff in BCS, and that he didn't particularly feel strongly about Lalo. But, he mentioned the writers did, and he's glad they did.

I can't wait to see a (hopeful) potential meetup between Kim and Jimmy in present-day Omaha. That would be amazing.
dave94
AG
I think it was more like since it's implied that Gail was involved in the planning of the lab, Gus decided to show him the progress. It's a stopping point with the Germans being sent home, so what's the harm there?
Old Tom Morris
The Gale thing was clearly mostly an audience nugget, but also provided the opportunity to make it clear that Gus has absolutely zero interest in shortcuts and that it's gonna take a lot more time to finish. Helps bridge the timeline to BB.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Texas 1836 said:

Glad he's gone.

I'm still kind of lost on what the point of that scene was. It showed Chuck vouching for Jimmy, Jimmy wanting Chuck to enjoy himself, Chuck, taking over and enjoying himself once Jimmy pushed him, Chuck taking care of Jimmy.... Why did Chuck sleep at Jimmy's apartment and not go home to his house?

I think the point was the opposite of the above. The point was to give yet another example of why Jimmy should not care about Chuck. On what should have been Jimmy's night of celebration, Chuck was going to leave early. Then on what should have been Jimmy's moment on stage, Chuck completely disregarded him and took over.

This was just another example showing why it's understandable for Jimmy to not have any warm feelings towards Chuck and to give more background into why Jimmy put on a show for the committee instead of speaking truly from the heart. In other words, Chuck is a despicable human being and awful brother.
Texaggie7nine
I didn't get that at all. I guess because I'm more of a introvert I saw nothing wrong with Chuck not wanting to sit around while people party and get drunk, especially when you have to work the next day.

Him going at all would be a show of affection for Jimmy. And the fact that he stayed for Jimmy's performance would show that even more. Jimmy seemed to only be concerned about getting Chuck to have fun, and he seemed happy when Chuck came out of his shell. That seemed to be Jimmy's whole purpose, so I don't think he would be upset when Chuck took the microphone, but happy.

Then Chuck taking Jimmy home and taking care of him, getting him to bed.... I'm not seeing where we are supposed to see Chuck worse off.
7nine
Ervin Burrell
AG
Burdizzo said:

Ag_07 said:

And I know all that too.

Thought the same thing.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Great 'sode. Except, he couldn't simply use a d/b/a to begin representing people as Saul Goodman, unless he still used Jimmy McGill on his pleadings.

Ya ya ya, suspension of disbelief. Just sayin'.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
aTmAg
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Burdizzo said:

Ag_07 said:

And I know all that too.

Thought the same thing.
It could have been a "we will be unable to give you all the room/capability you asked for. Could you make do with something like this?"
expresswrittenconsent
aTmAg said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Burdizzo said:

Ag_07 said:

And I know all that too.

Thought the same thing.
It could have been a "we will be unable to give you all the room/capability you asked for. Could you make do with something like this?"

Well, the way the scene played out kind of stops that theory, doesn't it?
Malachi Constant
AG
The first time we see Mike in BB is when he has to go clean up Jane's dead body.

Prediction: we learn in BCS that he comes straight from cleaning up Lalo's dead body to clean up Jane's body because he just finished killing Lalo.
aTmAg
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

aTmAg said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Burdizzo said:

Ag_07 said:

And I know all that too.

Thought the same thing.

Well, the way the scene played out kind of stops that theory, doesn't it?
Maybe I forgot something, but what do you mean?

If I remember correctly, Gale was already in there when they cut to that scene and we have no idea what discussion Gus and Gale had immediately prior. All I remember was Gale saying that he could cook a rudimentary batch the way it was, and Gus saying to wait until it was ready.
aTmAg
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

The first time we see Mike in BB is when he has to go clean up Jane's dead body.

Prediction: we learn in BCS that he comes straight from cleaning up Lalo's dead body to clean up Jane's body because he just finished killing Lalo.
I predict that Lalo was in Mike trunk. That he put Jesse's bong in Lalo's Rigor-mortisized hand.
Burdizzo
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Texas 1836 said:

Glad he's gone.

I think the point was the opposite of the above. The point was to give yet another example of why Jimmy should not care about Chuck. On what should have been Jimmy's night of celebration, Chuck was going to leave early. Then on what should have been Jimmy's moment on stage, Chuck completely disregarded him and took over.

This was just another example showing why it's understandable for Jimmy to not have any warm feelings towards Chuck and to give more background into why Jimmy put on a show for the committee instead of speaking truly from the heart. In other words, Chuck is a despicable human being and awful brother.

Remember Chuck's last words to Jimmy were "You never really mattered to me." And the only person that knows Chuck said that is Jimmy.

That is a big contrast to the few words in the letter he started to read in the hearing. I don't recall who came up with the idea that Kim wrote the letter, but that makes a lot of sense.
Ag_07
AG
So unless I'm missing something they still haven't made the connection between Saul and Gus.

IIRC in BB Saul tells Walt and Jessie he knows a guy who knows a guy.

Obviously that guy is Mike but we haven't yet seen how Saul knows that Mike works for a drug kingpin. I would imagine that story line drives the next season.
Baby Billy
AG
Someone refresh my memory. Gail was Gus' original cook after the lab was finished, and then he brought Walter in to take over and "partner" with Gail? Do we know how long Gail was in the lab alone before Walter showed up?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Huell Babineaux said:

Someone refresh my memory. Gail was Gus' original cook after the lab was finished, and then he brought Walter in to take over and "partner" with Gail? Do we know how long Gail was in the lab alone before Walter showed up?
Gale was getting the lab equipment in place when Walt was brought in. He hadn't started cooking yet.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Junkhead said:

Huell Babineaux said:

Gale was getting the lab equipment in place when Walt was brought in. He hadn't started cooking yet.

Gale WAS intended to be the original cook though. But Gus asked Gale to analyze a sample of Walt's meth batch - Gale was impressed at it's near perfection. That is what convinced Gus to go with Walt over Gale as the primary cook.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Junkhead said:

Huell Babineaux said:

Gus WAS intended to be the original cook though. But Gus asked Gale to analyze a sample of Walt's meth batch - Gale was impressed at it's near perfection. That is what convinced Gus to go with Walt over Gale as the primary cook.

Gale, but yes. You are correct.
91_Aggie
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Texas 1836 said:

Glad he's gone.

They showed Jimmy singing happily in the background when Chuck was singing.

I think it shows more that Jimmy's view of Chuck always hating him/always wanting him to lose was not as black/White as Jimmy paints it now.

Remember in all this that Jimmy is not a good guy. He's always been a con artist. he becomes an outright criminal as seen in Breaking Bad.

It seems everyone is cheering Jimmy on kind of like the way they cheered Walt on in Breaking Bad. these are bad people, amoral at best. And everyone is on Jimmy's side. "he got a raw deal, so he's justified in every thing he does".

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
oops. corrected. lol

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.