*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,122 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So does that mean Gus owns Madrigal??
7nine
Trident 88
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Both Chuck and Jimmy seem obsessed with winning at all costs. Jimmy through charm, acting, emotional manipulation, lies. Chuck through The Immutable Law, bullying, insults. When winning is "I get what I want, to hell with everyone else" then you are not a likable person.

Exactamundo. They're complete opposites, but alike in that they are both total ***holes.
Rick Dalton
AG
So speaking in "timelines"...

When does the completion of Fring's underground lab coincide with Walt and Jesse's initial Winnebago runs? Did it time out perfectly with Gus learning about Blue Sky and some underground bad ass chemist? I do seem to remember boxes still to open inside the lab.

I guess my question is...how far out are we from say Walt having his first thoughts of going the direction that he did? Is there 1-2 years left of underground construction?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Remember the first 4 seasons of BB took a total of 1 year in time so depending on where Saul comes in next season we may be getting very close. And yes, the lab was not quite completely ready to go when the blue was discovered by Fring.
JD Shellnut
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are in 2004 with BCS now, and season 1 of BB is 2008.
notheranymore
Thanks for sharing! Those are awesome!
J.P. 03
AG
Loved the finale. Couple of questions after getting caught up on this thread:

1) why does Gus taking Gale down to the empty lab necessarily have to mean that work has been suspended? Don't the Germans work at night? Technically that scene could have taken place during the day since they're inside a building with no electricity and it would be dark in there no matter what time of day it was.

2) in his speech to the shoplifter, Jimmy talked about how if the "normal" lawyers are on the 30-something floor, her goal should be to get to to the 50th floor, and it got me thinking: how exactly does Jimmy think he's gonna "win" long-term? Even if he becomes the best sleazy criminal defense attorney in world history, he'll never make more money than, get a nicer office than, or gain the respect of people like Howard. So how exactly is he gonna "show" them? It reminds me of that scene in Mad Men where Ginsberg tells Don he feels bad for him and Don tells him he doesn't think about him at all. I can't imagine that anyone in Howard's circle is ever gonna give Jimmy a second thought in the future other than maybe to laugh at his commercials.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

he'll never make more money than
What makes you say that?

When you're making money not so legally, you're usually going to make a lot more than people who earn it legally.

Don't forget he was making a pretty significant amount of money from Walt.
AgGrad99
AG
Yeah...remember the stacks and stacks of cash he was bagging up when abandoning his office?

Know Your Enemy
AG
J.P. 03 said:

1) why does Gus taking Gale down to the empty lab necessarily have to mean that work has been suspended? Don't the Germans work at night? Technically that scene could have taken place during the day since they're inside a building with no electricity and it would be dark in there no matter what time of day it was.
Because Gus told Mike he was going to send the rest of them home. They trusted them not to talk. And why would they continue with no one in charge of the operation?
Texaggie7nine
J.P. 03 said:

2) in his speech to the shoplifter, Jimmy talked about how if the "normal" lawyers are on the 30-something floor, her goal should be to get to to the 50th floor, and it got me thinking: how exactly does Jimmy think he's gonna "win" long-term? Even if he becomes the best sleazy criminal defense attorney in world history, he'll never make more money than, get a nicer office than, or gain the respect of people like Howard. So how exactly is he gonna "show" them? It reminds me of that scene in Mad Men where Ginsberg tells Don he feels bad for him and Don tells him he doesn't think about him at all. I can't imagine that anyone in Howard's circle is ever gonna give Jimmy a second thought in the future other than maybe to laugh at his commercials.
I dunno. There's Jim Adler, and there's Johnny Cochran. Howard is big in their town, like Jim Adler. Johnny is nationally known as the guy that makes you not go to jail for murder.
7nine
J.P. 03
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Yeah...remember the stacks and stacks of cash he was bagging up when abandoning his office?

Yeah, I remember that, but I think what's tripping me up is that I must be underestimating Jimmy. One of the themes I took away from Breaking Bad was that a lot of the main characters quickly got in over their heads and things spiraled beyond their control, including for Saul. I could see his goal at this point in BCS is to become a prominent defense lawyer, but if I look at where Saul ends up toward the end of BB (in terms of laundering money for a kingpin in an international drug cartel and all the money involved), I can't help but wonder if that's beyond what even Jimmy could have been dreaming up when he was talking to the shoplifter. But maybe I'm in the minority?
AgGrad99
AG
I see what you're saying.

But that's the future. We know it, but Jimmy doesnt right now (in BCS).

I think the story is showing us that this was Jimmy's breaking point. He realizes that he'll never be considered a respectable lawyer, like the other people in that room, no matter what he does. So now he's decided he can win being Slippin Jimmy the Lawyer (ie. Saul Goodman). Though we know, it seemingly doesnt work out well for him in the end. This was just the story that put him on that path.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
To Saul, it's not only about money but winning...at all costs and any way possible. So when he compares himself to other legit lawyers, it's about who is winning, even in the the little cases like keeping Huell out of jail or Badger for example when he was setting up the jailbird in BB. It's getting over and not directly tied to money, but the money is an added perk.

Like the karaoke song and title of the last episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
One thing I hadn't considered is that we may see Saul (aka Gene) go back to the name Jimmy McGill in the post-BB timeline, and maybe even get Kim back.

Anyone think this could happen?
aTmAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

One thing I hadn't considered is that we may see Saul (aka Gene) go back to the name Jimmy McGill in the post-BB timeline, and maybe even get Kim back.

I assume Jesse implicated the hell out of Saul in his video with Hank. That would make him a wanted man and in every police database (with all his known aliases). Going back to Jimmy McGill would make him vulnerable the next time he is pulled over, renews his license, etc. So I think that would be a bad move on his part.
Texas 1836
AG
I know that a new character may be my new favorite - Lalo.

It reminds me of one of my other favorite characters. Who could be so charming and instantly become pure evil.

Now, we haven't seen Lalo actually go to work, just the before and after with the wire office clerk, but I'm sure we will.

Here is who he reminds me of ...

Know Your Enemy
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No, that would be too risky. Surely those looking for him would know his real name.
Complete Idiot
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I've said this before - there aren't too many main characters in BB or BCS that you might say "deserve" a happy ending. Jimmy is hard to like, especially if you consider BB activities, but just like he does to other characters in the show he charms us - and does have many good qualities if he can suppress the devious urges.

But I did say one character deserves a happy ending - Kim (and I mentioned Jesse as well). I wouldn't mind seeing her have a happy ending I just don't think its with someone who would be targeted by both the cartel and law enforcement.
Malachi Constant
AG
Black and white cold open to season 5:

Kim answers the phone "Kim Wexler, can I help you?"

Unknown voice "I was referred to you by James McGill."

Kim "who is this?"

Voice: muffled

Kim writing on her notebook : PINKMAN
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
JYDog90
AG
Texas 1836 said:

I know that a new character may be my new favorite - Lalo.

It reminds me of one of my other favorite characters. Who could be so charming and instantly become pure evil.

Now, we haven't seen Lalo actually go to work, just the before and after with the wire office clerk, but I'm sure we will.

Here is who he reminds me of ...

This is odd, but he ought to do a commercial for strudel. When that guy eats that strudel in the restaurant, it looks like the greatest thing in the world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The half smoked cigarette in the strudel always bugs me. But other than that, I agree.
Liquid Wrench
Drifter. said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are in 2004 with BCS now, and season 1 of BB is 2008.
I'm pretty lost on the timeline, but it seems strange that we would be 4 years out with the lab dug out, Gale ready to go, Nacho and Lalo on the scene, Don Hector already in the home, tensions flaring between Gus and the Salamancas.... Plus Mike's car held up really well all those years. IDK.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Better Call Saul timeline

The last episode ended in March 2004.

Breaking Bad timeline

The first episode started in September 2008.Gus was introduced around December 2008.

Seems odd that the lab wouldn't be ready for another 4 years. There will have to be an explanation for that.
Robert C. Christian
AG
Work stalled when the germans brought a lawsuit over the NDA. Also had to find another crew to finish the build.
Burdizzo
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Kim "who is this?"

What year would this be? When BB starts, Jesse is what? About 20-22? Can't go too far back or Jesse becomes a minor.
Malachi Constant
AG
Burdizzo said:

Blatant Disregard said:

Kim "who is this?"

What year would this be? When BB starts, Jesse is what? About 20-22? Can't go too far back or Jesse becomes a minor.
I'm saying this takes place in the future, in the Cinnabon timeline.

The implication is that at some point Jesse reached out to Saul post-BB for help. Keep in mind, Jesse just drove away at the end, he's probably still wanted for some serious crimes.

He finds a way to get in touch with Saul, and he refers him to Kim Wexler. Thus pulling Kim into the post-BB events.
Burdizzo
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Burdizzo said:

Blatant Disregard said:

Kim "who is this?"

The implication is that at some point Jesse reached out to Saul post-BB for help. Keep in mind, Jesse just drove away at the end, he's probably still wanted for some serious crimes.

He finds a way to get in touch with Saul, and he refers him to Kim Wexler. Thus pulling Kim into the post-BB events.

I would be curious to know how he manages to track down Saul. That would make the vacuum guy less reliable than I was led to believe. Not saying it couldn't happen, but doesn't seem likely to me. Interesting idea, though
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Burdizzo said:

Blatant Disregard said:

Burdizzo said:

Blatant Disregard said:

Kim "who is this?"

I would be curious to know how he manages to track down Saul. That would make the vacuum guy less reliable than I was led to believe. Not saying it couldn't happen, but doesn't seem likely to me. Interesting idea, though

Just getting a cinnabon one day in Omaha and boom there he is. lol

Liquid Wrench
Jesse's back to making boxes, dude.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

aTmAg said:

Maybe he is trying to separate himself from Chuck and get out of his shadow completely? I would think he would tell Kim about it earlier, but maybe he figured that she'd be disappointed and not as willing to help him use that angle to get his license back?
Didn't he tell the board something like if they approved him he would try to be a true McGill or something like that?

If I heard that right, he was already formulating his plan for the DBA.
Rewatched that portion. He said "if you choose that I can be a lawyer, I'll do everything I can to live up to the name of McGill".

It's All Good Man!!! I think another F U at the establishment.
Ag 11
AG
There has to be more than just one more season right?
TCTTS
AG
We've discussed this over the past few pages. According to the showrunner, they haven't quite settled on a plan yet, but it sounds they're either going to do...

- One more season pre-BB, and then a final season post-BB (with "Gene").
- One more season pre-BB, and then a final season that's both pre-BB and then running alongside BB.
- Two more seasons pre-BB.

There are other options, of course, but reading between the lines, it sounds like those are the most likely scenarios, in order of plausibility. Either way, I would be really surprised if AMC doesn't let them finish the story how they want to finish it, despite the ratings. And it sounds like that's probably going to take two more seasons.
Burdizzo
AG
I didn't know they had greenlighted two more seasons. I thought just one

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.