*** Better Call Saul: Season 4 *** (SEE NOTE IN OP)

160,120 Views | 1458 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
He didnt get his money back...
7nine
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Interesting.

Directed by Andrew Stanton...writer/director of Finding Nemo, Wall-E and John Carter.
oragator
I am late to the party because I spent half my time googling what a lucuma (Andean fruit) and coati were.

I guess it was known from B.B. that he was Chilean? Didn't remember that.
oragator
Oh and my weekly "that scene was great!"speech...

Mike apologizing without ever apologizing.

Piatas!

jschroeder
Was Kim's "I like it, I'm good at it" supposed to be a reference to Walter's similar quote or am I just tying the two together because it was my favorite line of the show?
Old Tom Morris
In the flashback in BB after Don Eladio has Hector kill Gus' partner, Don Eladio says Gus is only alive because Eladio knows who he is, but not to forget that he's not in Chile anymore - or something to that effect.
Old Tom Morris
Also, when Hank first started to suspect Gus, I think Hank was able to trace that he arrived in Mexico from Chile. But there were no records on him in Chile - to which Gus replied that under the Pinochet dictatorship, record-keeping was very poor.

This was when Hank brought him in to be interviewed with Gomez and his boss after Gale's death, because he found the connection of Gale to Gus. Got suspicious when Gale the goofy vegan had a fried chicken pollos hermanos bag/receipt with writing on it in his place
oragator
jschroeder said:

Was Kim's "I like it, I'm good at it" supposed to be a reference to Walter's similar quote or am I just tying the two together because it was my favorite line of the show?
Not relevant to your post so much but made me think...Kim is outgrowing jimmy. She sees it clearly, he just doesn't want to see it or admit it. Poor fella.
But that's what the open was for, she was always better than him, and he's been chasing her. He chased her into law, he chased her into the partnership, then when she said she liked criminal law he was willing to chase her there too. He is holding her back, gonna be sad sad jimmy ending there.
My guess is that is what sends him over the edge and into Saul, he won't ever let himself get hurt again.
Liquid Wrench
I was hoping for a moment that we might get a more detailed idea of what he did in Chile that made him noteworthy to Don Eladio.
Old Tom Morris
Right. I guess it is at least confirmation that he really is Chilean, because with what little we knew, there were still some lingering question as to whether he really was Chilean.
Old Tom Morris
Agree about Kim. Which is why I continue to come around on the opinion that it will just end up a nasty breakup vs something deadly happening with her. I think she's eventually going to see Jimmy how Chuck saw Jimmy. She's growing personally and professionally, he's trying to chase but sliding back into Slippin Jimmy (and eventually Saul).
PatAg
AG
Could be that Jimmy proactively breaks it off as a way of controlling the situation.
Liquid Wrench
I've been wondering how he sees a longterm partnership with Kim working. Like he thinks she'll bring in the good clean business and he'll hustle street contacts without her ever asking what he's up to?

But I agree it's moving towards a mutual break.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I was almost surprised Jimmy did not call her on the pseudo breakup recipe scene she orchestrated:

1. bring them to a public place so they can't throw a fit
2. make it somewhere neutral that you both have good memories of
3. keep it short and sweet
4. give them time to digest it
5. avoid an argument

I mean that's basically what she did - at the location of their previous swindles. It just was about the professional breakup but there were definite undertones in there and their professional and personal lives are intertwined.

Jimmy came back to the table and he was ready to move on to the next phase.

aTmAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I was hoping for a moment that we might get a more detailed idea of what he did in Chile that made him noteworthy to Don Eladio.
If you watch that Narcos show on Netflix, they showed during episode 1 that Pinochet did not tolerate narco criminals in Chile and would basically line them up and have them shot without trial or anything. The surviving ones fled and apparently settled in Columbia, Mexico, etc. So it could be that Gus didn't make a name for himself in Chile, but fled early on and made a name for himself in Mexico. I've heard that some Mexicans are racist against Southern American's, so it could be that Hector and Don looked down on Gus merely because he was Chilean.
Old Tom Morris
I hope they are well stocked on fleshlights. 8-10 months is a long time and that's not something you'd wanna share
aTmAg
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

I hope they are well stocked on fleshlights. 8-10 months is a long time and that's not something you'd wanna share
This goes to show how ridiculously expensive this whole thing would be. BB spoiler: No wonder Gus couldn't afford production to stop in BB. I wonder if he had turned a profit by the time WW blew half his face off. I assume such a large warehouse space is not particularly cheap and not only do you have to feed them and all of that, you have to pay them enough to tolerate being stuck away from home/family, sunlight, etc. for 8 months.
Ag_07
AG
I thought it was interesting that they never let us know how much it was costing.

Think that's a smart move by Gilligan to avoid a plot hole created by internet engineering nerds who break down the scope that was outlined with the real life costs of such a job.
The Milkman
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Right. I guess it is at least confirmation that he really is Chilean, because with what little we knew, there were still some lingering question as to whether he really was Chilean.
I know thats been keeping me up at night
CharlieBrown17
AG
That was awesome.

Cool to see Mike step into the fixer role full force now.

And the pinta scene was money. Great way to end
Texas 1836
AG
aTmAg said:

Old Tom Morris said:

This goes to show how ridiculously expensive this whole thing would be. I assume such a large warehouse space is not particularly cheap and not only do you have to feed them and all of that, you have to pay them enough to tolerate being stuck away from home/family, sunlight, etc. for 8 months.
I would think the labor cost for that team is a nit compared to the ongoing revenue from the drugs.
Same for the warehouse.
aTmAg
AG
Texas 1836 said:

aTmAg said:

Old Tom Morris said:

This goes to show how ridiculously expensive this whole thing would be. I assume such a large warehouse space is not particularly cheap and not only do you have to feed them and all of that, you have to pay them enough to tolerate being stuck away from home/family, sunlight, etc. for 8 months.
I would think the labor cost for that team is a nit compared to the ongoing revenue from the drugs.
Same for the warehouse.
My understanding is that Escobar got a much larger chunk of the revenue as the dealer/distributors on the American side. He was worth at least $30B (in early 90s dollars) and none of the guys over here were close to that.

So if we assume that is true regarding Don and Gus in this show, then Gus isn't getting a whole hell of a lot yet (don't get me wrong, he'd be wealthy, but not super rich yet). I assume that is why he trying to create his own production. So while I agree the cost of the lab would be tiny in comparison to the eventual profit, I would think that at this point in the timeline it wouldn't be that way yet.
Ag_07
AG
Also remember Gus runs a very successful regional fast food chain.

The drugs aren't his only income.
aTmAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also remember Gus runs a very successful regional fast food chain.

The drugs aren't his only income.
I just looked it up, fast food tends to have single digit profit margins:

Domino's (8%)
Subway (8%)
Popeyes (6%)
Papa Johns (9%)
Quiznos (0%)
Blimpies (0-1%)
McDonalds (6%)

And I assumed that the fast food chain is nothing more than his money laundering front. So he might actually be losing money on that part. Maybe he could get a business loan? I have never been involved in that myself, but I assume a bank wouldn't just fork over tens of millions of dollars on a mere promise to pay it back? That they would want some sort of collateral and whatnot? If that was the case, then Gus would need to make timely payments or risk losing stores or whatever he put up. I could see why he would always want the lab running.
Old Tom Morris
Counterpoint
AG
But what are the franchise fees for all those chains? Gus wouldn't have to deal with that at least.
JD Shellnut
AG
aTmAg said:

Texas 1836 said:

aTmAg said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Same for the warehouse.
My understanding is that Escobar got a much larger chunk of the revenue as the dealer/distributors on the American side. He was worth at least $30B (in early 90s dollars) and none of the guys over here were close to that.

So if we assume that is true regarding Don and Gus in this show, then Gus isn't getting a whole hell of a lot yet (don't get me wrong, he'd be wealthy, but not super rich yet). I assume that is why he trying to create his own production. So while I agree the cost of the lab would be tiny in comparison to the eventual profit, I would think that at this point in the timeline it wouldn't be that way yet.

That was for cocaine that was made and process in South America and sent here. The meth will be made here independently.
aTmAg
AG
Drifter. said:

aTmAg said:

Texas 1836 said:

aTmAg said:

Old Tom Morris said:

Same for the warehouse.

That was for cocaine that was made and process in South America and sent here. The meth will be made here independently.
Are you talking about Escobar or in the BB/BCS world?

In BCS, they were initially transporting the drugs over the border and then Mike got those two guys busted in the truck. That's when Gus was given permission to go do local suppliers temporarily. Or do I remember wrong?
Stive
AG
To bring this back to something that's worth talking about:

I loved the Jimmy/Howard interaction. Jimmy getting under his skin and actually seeming to care about him for a second was interesting.

Watching Mike do his thing preparing the warehouse and dealing with the Germans was a flashback to early B.B. Mike.

I'd forgotten how short Huell was (or maybe the bearded guy is just taller than he appears in some other scenes).

Texaggie7nine
Don't know if its Jimmy caring about Howard as much as him caring about the company (Chucks legacy)
7nine
Stive
AG
True, but there at the end I'm not sure he cared about Chuck anymore than he cared about Howard.

I took it as him feeling a bit bad about leaving Howard with the guilt about the insurance.
aTmAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Don't know if its Jimmy caring about Howard as much as him caring about the company (Chucks legacy)
I think it's disgust at Howard not busting his ass salesman-wise to fix it. Saul had his law license suspended and yet he is still working his butt off.

Know Your Enemy
AG
The other guy with Huell is huge. He was in an earlier season when that guy hired Mike and some other guys for protection. They met up in a parking garage and Mike kicked the one dude's ass to show only one bodyguard was needed. The big guy saw that and went running away.

Ag_07
AG
I don't think it was concern for Howard or Chuck's legacy or anything of that sort.

I think it was Jimmy realizing how his actions actions against Chuck were taking their toll on other people. For a split second he was feeling bad but then realized he could easily blame Howard. He turned the tables on Howard when in reality it was his own doing.

He still doesn't know/care how his reckless actions effect others. He simply just looks for someone to blame to take the weight off of him.
Mr.Bond
AG
Junkhead said:

The other guy with Huell is huge. He was in an earlier season when that guy hired Mike and some other guys for protection. They met up in a parking garage and Mike kicked the one dude's ass to show only one bodyguard was needed. The big guy saw that and went running away.

Trevor from GTA V
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.