***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

190,034 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Blindside05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These refs are atrocious
PatAg
AG
thats on teh ****ing ground
these refs are ****ing atrocious
TheMasterplan
yukmonkey said:

TheMasterplan said:

Dumb defense by Dallas on that Danny Green 3.

Howard held Curry
True but why is Kleber helping on a 2 point play as well?
Old Tom Morris
yukmonkey said:

TheMasterplan said:

Howard held Curry

Agree 100%. But i have no idea WTF Kleber was doing.
Phat32
AG
Gonna be this way with the lakers all year. Smh

Porzingis needs to show up and this is a non issue.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

yukmonkey said:

TheMasterplan said:

Howard held Curry

Didn't want to foul Lebron and give him an and 1 if he decided to shoot himself
Ervin Burrell
AG
Porzingis has absolutely disappeared this half.
PooDoo
AG
LeBald and his hair plugs can suck it!
Old Tom Morris
Ervin Burrell said:

Old Tom Morris said:

yukmonkey said:

TheMasterplan said:

Howard held Curry

Dont leave your ****ing man to help guard a layup that lebron was never gonna take because it was a friggin 3 point game. Stay with the perimeter D and none of that switching is needed.
Phat32
AG
Right. Why even bother guarding the 2? Double Danny Green and make Dwight Howard shoot it.
PatAg
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

Ervin Burrell said:

Old Tom Morris said:

yukmonkey said:

TheMasterplan said:

Howard held Curry

Dont leave your ****ing man to help guard a layup that lebron was never gonna take because it was a friggin 3 point game. Stay with the perimeter D and none of that switching is needed.
Yep, know the situation. let them score the 2 two, and hit your ft's
We ran about 4 straight plays where KP screened at the top of the key for Luka. Luka drove and then dished to Kleber or Finney in the corner. He's gotta realize thats not the high percentage play on this team.
PooDoo
AG
KP looking like Shawn Bradley out there tonight.
Phat32
AG
Part of the process. Carlisle will use it to teach, but Mavs got ****ing robbed.
Grapesoda2525
I'm sick of refs giving us the short end of the stick at home.

What I have an issue with is the first time luka got hurt, we were trying to call a timeout, it wasn't granted, the refs called a jump ball that they knew the lakers would win and Davis made a 2 point shot. 1 basket in the last few minutes of the game can make a huge difference.

You really can make the case that we've now lost 2 games because of awful officiating.

Saint Pablo
**** Lebron.
aggiefabulous
Dwight Howard is bush league.
PooDoo
AG
aggiefabulous said:

Dwight Howard is bush league.

https://thebrandedsports.com/2018/11/26/icymi-news-that-shocks-no-one-dwight-howard-is-a-611-bottom/
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Howard even looks like the thug he is.
Grapesoda2525
I'm still optimistic.

If Powell doesn't **** up on the free throw line and we don't make an elementary level basketball mistake by leaving the 3 point shooter, we probably win this game.

I know we have 2 losses, but they both required the refs giving us the short end of the stick in crunch time, in our own damn arena, against very good competition. The blazers were in the WCF last year and the Lakers are expected to be there this year. No shame in losing to these guys and we gave them all they could handle.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Great atmosphere at AAC tonight.

I'm ****ing sick of Carlisle. He's a great coach overall for getting the team ready and has a good system. But he's god awful at in game management. Beyond awful. He lost the game tonight. He costs us multiple games per season. He wastes timeouts to where we don't have any late game every game. And then tonight when curry was trapped right in front of him with 1 minute left; he didn't call one. We'd. And then he didn't foul when we were up by 3 with under 10 seconds left. Wtf.

I know Dwight held curry, but that wouldn't have mattered if we just fouled lebron right when he got inside the 3 point line. We could've fouled easily with like 2 seconds left and no chance that we could fouls them while shooting a 3. That's coaching.

Also agree that I have no clue what we are doing leaving perimeter shooters in order to double lebron on the last possession. Best case scenario for us would be letting lebron dunk it with 2 seconds left. Who cares? Just stay on the perimeter guys.

Very frustrating. But at least we stayed with the lakers when we shot terrible. That's the silver lining I guess.
PooDoo
AG
Has there ever been another team with 3 #1 overall picks on the same team?

The 6ers had 3 with AI, Joe Smith, and Derrick Coleman.
Lakers had Worthy, Magic, and Kareem.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Great atmosphere at AAC tonight.

I'm ****ing sick of Carlisle. He's a great coach overall for getting the team ready and has a good system. But he's god awful at in game management. Beyond awful. He lost the game tonight. He costs us multiple games per season. He wastes timeouts to where we don't have any late game every game. And then tonight when curry was trapped right in front of him with 1 minute left; he didn't call one. We'd. And then he didn't foul when we were up by 3 with under 10 seconds left. Wtf.

I know Dwight held curry, but that wouldn't have mattered if we just fouled lebron right when he got inside the 3 point line. We could've fouled easily with like 2 seconds left and no chance that we could fouls them while shooting a 3. That's coaching.

Also agree that I have no clue what we are doing leaving perimeter shooters in order to double lebron on the last possession. Best case scenario for us would be letting lebron dunk it with 2 seconds left. Who cares? Just stay on the perimeter guys.

Very frustrating. But at least we stayed with the lakers when we shot terrible. That's the silver lining I guess.
This is the dumbest opinion I have read on this thread. He's consistently considered one of the best in the business at it. We have about a decade of proof of that, watching the games.
Lets say you call that time out with 1:35, you are now out of timeouts in a 1 pt game. Not smart.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm sorry but Carlisle is awful at in game management. The non-Mavs thread I'm on constantly calls him out on all the dumbass mistakes he makes. We consistently have no timeouts at the end of games bc he wants to "coach" during the game. And then tonight, the one time where it makes sense to call a Timeout and leave us with 0, he doesn't do it.

Saving a for sure turnover when we are up with 1 minute left is much better than saving it just in case. Id much rather have the ball up 1 with 1:30 left than give lakers the ball with 1:15 left (or whatever it was) and not have a timeout. If you think otherwise, then that's ridiculous.

As I said, he's got a good system and is a good coach overall. But his in game decisions are beyond awful and have been for years.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Dude, I know you don't actually mean this. Carlisle had no choice. We had 1 TO left and the lead. He waited as long as he could to see if Curry could get out of that spot and tried to call TO but the Ref didn't see him.

This loss wasn't on him. His rotations were masterful. Putting in Boban with KP to see how the Lakers would react was masterful.

Dwight missed his crucial FTs. The refs refused to call any fouls on the Lakers. KP couldn't beg for a bucket. The Mavs entire roster shot under 70% from the FT line. Lebron put up INSANE numbers. And Danny Green STILL had to nail a last second shot to force OT.

This was a TEAM loss. Every Maverick player on the court can point to multiple opportunities, any of which could have determined the outcome in favor of the Mavs.

Carlisle has his warts, but anyone who comes in looking to pin this L on him just isn't seeing the game for what it was
M.C. Swag
AG
Also, Carlisle is one of, if not the best, in-game managers in the league. It's absurd to state otherwise.
fightinags2013
AG
Rick is a great coach, but Tim Hardaway Jr needs to ride the pine. He is trash. No way he is better than Justin Jackson. Not saying Jackson is great. He's just better than THJ.
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Dude, I know you don't actually mean this. Carlisle had no choice. We had 1 TO left and the lead. He waited as long as he could to see if Curry could get out of that spot and tried to call TO but the Ref didn't see him.

This loss wasn't on him. His rotations were masterful. Putting in Boban with KP to see how the Lakers would react was masterful.

Dwight missed his crucial FTs. The refs refused to call any fouls on the Lakers. KP couldn't beg for a bucket. The Mavs entire roster shot under 70% from the FT line. Lebron put up INSANE numbers. And Danny Green STILL had to nail a last second shot to force OT.

This was a TEAM loss. Every Maverick player on the court can point to multiple opportunities, any of which could have determined the outcome in favor of the Mavs.

Carlisle has his warts, but anyone who comes in looking to pin this L on him just isn't seeing the game for what it was

Carlisle did not try to call timeout in that situation. I was On that side of the court and was watching him and yelling at him to call timeout the entire time. He never did until it was way too late. And if you say he had no choice, that's crazy. An extra possession there is >>>>>>> than a timeout. And what makes it even more crazy is that in the last couple years we have had a ton of games where he wastes timeouts for no reason and we have none left at the end of the game.

and there is no excusing is not fouling at the end of regulation. I'm sorry, but I'll disagree with any coach who refuses to foul in that situation.

Obviously many guys made mistakes. But Carlisle made the most obvious mistakes that I would expect a freer coach to not make.

It makes it frustrating bc I do think he's a great coach. He's just awful at in game timeout decisions and end of game fouling. He's great at almost everything else.
True Anomaly
AG
Great atmosphere tonight, like y'all said For once I had a Lakers fan near me that wasn't a complete ******.

Want to emphasize how far we've come in a short time, as exemplified above. Lakers were literally getting away with murder and LeBron was beasting, and we still came so close to winning.

It sucks that Dwight Powell's missed FT lead to the ending it did, as he got hammered so much under the rim without getting the benefit of calls. It's a ******* epidemic with that guy- 6th year in the league and still getting treated like a rookie by the refs.
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Also, Carlisle is one of, if not the best, in-game managers in the league. It's absurd to state otherwise.

Let me explain what I mean by in game manager. Maybe it's not the right term. Rick is good at in game adjustments, rotations, play calls, etc.

Maybe I should have said he's terrible at in game time management, timeouts, and deciding when to foul at the ends of a game. In the last couple of years he's been terrible at this.

I'd compare it to Jason Garrett in a way. He may have a decent game plan and system, but cowboys would have won 1-2 more games Lee's season if a young Madden player was in charge of falling timeouts and end game clock management. I'm the same way, I feel like if someone was in charge of end game time management for the Mavs, we'd be in much better shape the last couple years.

I'm sure Rick's good outweighs the bad. But it's just so frustrating bc he's a genius at the hard stuff and seems to be bad at what should be the simple stuff.

I know I'm probably overreacting but it doesn't seem to be a one off thing.

Maybe I've just had too many beers.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Carlisle did not try to call timeout in that situation. I was On that side of the court and was watching him and yelling at him to call timeout the entire time. .

Bro, I was there too. I sit in 112 and had a perfect view of him. I saw him call the TO. It was def later than it would have been had he had 2 TOs, but it was 100% before the whistle.

He did nothing wrong there. And if curry doesn't go ice cold the ENTIRE second half, it's a moot point. Like, it's maddening to me that you walk away from that game going "ya, **** Rick Carlisle." Absurd.
mavsfan4ever
AG
M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

M.C. Swag said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Carlisle did not try to call timeout in that situation. I was On that side of the court and was watching him and yelling at him to call timeout the entire time. .

Bro, I was there too. I sit in 112 and had a perfect view of him. I saw him call the TO. It was def later than it would have been had he had 2 TOs, but it was 100% before the whistle.

He did nothing wrong there. And if curry doesn't go ice cold the ENTIRE second half, it's a moot point. Like, it's maddening to me that you walk away from that game going "ya, **** Rick Carlisle." Absurd.

I was yelling at him to call a timeout for 3-4 seconds before the jump ball. I couldn't believe that he waited so long. Obviously he would've called it earlier if he had 2. He never has enough at the end of games bc he constantly calls them when he doesn't have to.

He may have called it before the whistle but he did not call it before the refs saw the jump ball in my opinion. He basically called it right when he realized the refs were about to call a jump ball. And why wait so long, it was obvious that we were trapped.

And how can you back him for not fouling when we were up by three? There is no excuse for that in today's NBA.

I'll admit I overreacted in my first post (i'll blame the beers), and I admitted in later posts that Carlisle is very good at certain things. But if you can't admit he made some big mistakes tonight and constantly messes up clock management, then we will have to agree to disagree.
hph6203
AG
There wasn't a whole lot of opportunity for them to foul on that last possession of regulation. They passed it out to Bradley who promptly passed it to Lebron, who then had a clear lane to the basket. In that scenario LeBron can put it up and get the and one. They would have had good coverage on the final shot if not for the offensive foul. That would have put Seth at the line to ice the game if the refs were willing to call it.

If they had the opportunity to foul they definitely should have, but LeBron just made Delon look bad.
NoahAg
The way I see it Lebron had to play lights out just to give the Lakers a chance to win in OT.

Mavs bench is performing better than I expected.

Luka is already elite.

We are ahead of schedule for rebuilding.

Gonna be a fun season.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I agree. We shot poorly, lebron played well, refs were pretty poor, etc. and we were still in position to win at the end. It's a good sign.
mavsfan4ever
AG
hph6203 said:

There wasn't a whole lot of opportunity for them to foul on that last possession of regulation. They passed it out to Bradley who promptly passed it to Lebron, who then had a clear lane to the basket. In that scenario LeBron can put it up and get the and one. They would have had good coverage on the final shot if not for the offensive foul. That would have put Seth at the line to ice the game if the refs were willing to call it.

If they had the opportunity to foul they definitely should have, but LeBron just made Delon look bad.

To me, that's the dream scenario of trying to foul. Coaches are normally worried about fouling bc they may shoot and you may foul them on the shot for 3 free throws (not a good reason not to foul but that seems to be their irrational fear). When lebron went inside the 3 point line, I thought it was the perfect chance to foul (if we were planning on fouling). But I agree with you that it becomes risky if you wait too long and let lebron het close to the basket. Just watched it again, and the way it played out I agree there wasn't much of a chance to foul lebron. But that's because we weren't planning to foul. If we were planing to foul, Delon would've stayed with lebron more when he went inside the 3 point line.

I think delon did his job. His only job is to run lebron off the 3 point line, which he did. If kleber just stayed on his man and didn't help when lebron drove, then we would've been fine. Not sure what he was thinking there. On possessions like that, there is never a reason to leave your man to help out on someone driving. And I agree that there was a clear offensive foul.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.