***Official 2019-2020 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

190,046 Views | 2280 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GSW already sent iguodala to Memphis to make their trade work.
rsf0626
Wtf just happened tonight. Craziest league wide free agency day i can remember
500,000ags
AG
I heard something like 40% of the league was a UFA or RFA this season. Which is ridiculous, if true.
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Throughout the evening I kept hearing echoes of Donnie Nelson saying "we're keeping our powder dry" and "we like our team ".
gomerschlep
AG
So just to recap the big FA day for the mavs....

mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm praying for Beverly and Danny green. Otherwise this was the biggest disaster ever.
Grapesoda2525
gomerschlep said:

So just to recap the big FA day for the mavs....

Big day for seemingly every other team except for the mavs.
Grapesoda2525
Beverley agrees to resign with clips.

Donnie Nelson is terrible.
PatAg
AG
Kristaps and Luka

PatAg
AG
Read tweets saying the mavs still expect to make moves the fans should like, dont even know whats left to do though
Grapesoda2525
PatAg said:

Read tweets saying the mavs still expect to make moves the fans should like, dont even know whats left to do though
The only thing I can think of is trades or salary dumps that are actually decent. Better not be anything like the ****fest Miami tried to pull on us tonight tho.
Grapesoda2525
The hits just keep on comin.

Brad Townsend
@townbrad
Circled back to source: Scheduled Mavs-Beverley discussion did not occur tonight, most likely due to time-consuming Miami-Philly-Dallas mess. Unclear where Mavs stand with Beverley, but doesn't sound as promising it did entering today

I can't believe their first night of free agency was 100% devoted to this amazingly bad trade.
chris1515
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I'm praying for Beverly and Danny green. Otherwise this was the biggest disaster ever.

"Biggest disaster ever"? Ummm...Knicks fans would disagree...
Griffle
Beverly to remain with Clippers.
Spaceship
AG
Wow I was so hopeful that the Mavs would bring in a couple really nice FA's to go with Luka and KP - instead it's nada. What a gut punch.
M.C. Swag
AG
Everyone excited to wear their "Cap Space" jersey next season? Disaster FA for the Mavs.
Guitarsoup
AG
A disaster would be getting double max space and signing Julius Randle and Bobby portis.

Keeping the powder dry is better than making bad deals
M.C. Swag
AG
Dude, the Mavs had a meeting with Pat Beverley but told him to fck off and wait so they could try and trade for Kelly Olynyk in order to help the Heat get Jimmy Butler.

You can't make up this lunacy. This was the year to strike. To add $30m of quality players alongside Luka and KP should have been THE PLAN. "Keeping powder dry" such a laughably awful idea.
Spaceship
AG
The only silver lining is that Luka is still very young, and KP can have another year to get back from his knee injury, and then the Mavs can try again in 2020 to load up with some big FA's and should be poised to make a big run. Yeah, yeah, how many years have we been saying that though...
Grapesoda2525
Guitarsoup said:

A disaster would be getting double max space and signing Julius Randle and Bobby portis.

Keeping the powder dry is better than making bad deals
They **** the bed.

They should've been going after 2nd-3rd tier free agents like every other team in the league except for few. Cuban thought he was smarter than everyone else tho ( again) by waiting until everyone else used up all their cap space ( and signed the good players out there) and then Cuban made it known to the league....

WE WILL HELP FACILITATE A TRADE BY USING OUR CAP SPACE.

Miami and philly called. Negotiations ensued. The mavs thought they were getting something decent ( Dragic). Oh well, the move is mediocre. At least doncic likes him, they have a history, we have a PG. Then...... word gets out that we acquired olynynk and jones. The trade gets even worse! Everyone in the basketball world except for the mavs front office is laughing or has their hands up in frustration!

The deal is abruptly "off" right now, meanwhile the Mavericks missed a meeting with Beverley whose a PERFECT fit for this team.

I don't know how anyone can view the above as anything but a competely embarrassing **** show.
Grapesoda2525
Spaceship said:

The only silver lining is that Luka is still very young, and KP can have another year to get back from his knee injury, and then the Mavs can try again in 2020 to load up with some big FA's and should be poised to make a big run. Yeah, yeah, how many years have we been saying that though...
2020 is an awful year for free agency. It pales in comparison to the 2019 and 2021 free agent classes.
Spaceship
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Spaceship said:

2020 is an awful year for free agency. It pales in comparison to the 2019 and 2021 free agent classes.

Oh well great...
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Dude, the Mavs had a meeting with Pat Beverley but told him to fck off and wait so they could try and trade for Kelly Olynyk in order to help the Heat get Jimmy Butler.

You can't make up this lunacy. This was the year to strike. To add $30m of quality players alongside Luka and KP should have been THE PLAN. "Keeping powder dry" such a laughably awful idea.
Pat also resigned with his current team in LA (more desirable place to live than any Texas city to most basketball players) for 3y40mm. He's a good role player, but are you really wanting to pay $15mm/year for a 31 year old 8/5/4 player that has had a lot of injuries over the years including micro fracture surgery? Do you think the Mavs are a championship team in 2019 or 2020 with Bev but wouldn't be a Championship team without Bev? That's a ton of money for him.

Plus even with a 15mm/year deal, there is no guarantee that he wants to move from the place he has lived for two years.

If you are getting Bev for 5-10mm/year range, then yeah. But in the 13-18mm/year range? Hard pass.
Grapesoda2525
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Pat also resigned with his current team in LA (more desirable place to live than any Texas city to most basketball players) for 3y40mm. He's a good role player, but are you really wanting to pay $15mm/year for a 31 year old 8/5/4 player that has had a lot of injuries over the years including micro fracture surgery? Do you think the Mavs are a championship team in 2019 or 2020 with Bev but wouldn't be a Championship team without Bev? That's a ton of money for him.

Plus even with a 15mm/year deal, there is no guarantee that he wants to move from the place he has lived for two years.

If you are getting Bev for 5-10mm/year range, then yeah. But in the 13-18mm/year range? Hard pass.
The mavs aren't title contenders this year, but they should've been thinking about how to put together a "fun" team for luka and KP to play on which would at least make the playoffs and fill up the arena.

Luka and porzingis aren't going to stay long term if we're not at least somewhat competitive.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think 31-year-old post-micro fracture surgery Patrick Beverley for $15mm/year accomplishes any of that for you.
M.C. Swag
AG
Again I'll say, Cap Space doesn't win you games. PBev is better than $15m sitting in Cubans bank acct and helluva lot more fun to watch.
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Again I'll say, Cap Space doesn't win you games. PBev is better than $15m sitting in Cubans bank acct and helluva lot more fun to watch.
You don't have to use all the Cap Space by July 1st.
rsf0626
Mavs showed knicks level of incompetence last night. My guess is they are probably waiting for the aftermath of the kawhi situation and pick up the scraps
Grapesoda2525
Guitarsoup said:

I don't think 31-year-old post-micro fracture surgery Patrick Beverley for $15mm/year accomplishes any of that for you.
Supposedly, he was a big part of the reason that the clippers pushed the fully healthy ( at the time) GSW juggernaut to 6 games in the playoffs.

He can play amazing defense, doesn't need to have the ball to be effective, and his 3 point shot is steadily improving. The Mavericks needed all of that and got none of it.
M.C. Swag
AG
To not negotiate with PBev (a good player at a position of need) so you can pursue a failed (thankfully) 3 team trade route netting you a 7fter that can't rebound and a failed dunk contest participant is what makes it so much worse.
Grapesoda2525
M.C. Swag said:

To not negotiate with PBev (a good player at a position of need) so you can pursue a failed (thankfully) 3 team trade route netting you a 7fter that can't rebound and a failed dunk contest participant is what makes it so much worse.
Olynynk sucks........I don't know why the Mavericks want him so badly. They could've drafted him years ago. In fact, they actually did draft him, but they immediately sent him to the Celtics because it was one of their "stash the draft pick overseas while we chase big fish and fail" years.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm sure they had an idea of what the Clippers were offering and passed. Why sit down if you know you aren't going to shell out that much money for a player? Grossly overpaying for a player that doesn't exactly have a unique skillset, is 31 and has a bad history of injuries is not a smart move. He's a 6' tall D&3 player. There are a ton of D&3 players out there and a lot of them that can guard more than one position. Danny Green is likely a better fit with actual Finals experience and he will be cheaper. Plus he can guard thee positions, rather than just point.
2wealfth Man
AG
Around the league as a whole, I think the whole cap space deal has been an abysmal failure for the most part. Knicks and Clippers also flopped on their faces; you have be selling more than just cap space. I fear another Wes Matthews overpaid deal coming. Who is going to rebound on this team? Who is going to run on the wings on the break?
Agnzona
Grapesoda2525 said:

Beverley agrees to resign with clips.

Donnie Nelson is terrible.

Listening to the sports talk this morning most seem to think Cuban is the real problem. Either unbelievably overconfident and completely misreads what players think of the organization or just rudderless, ruining by committee with no leadership
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
chris1515
AG
If there was truly mutual interest in Beverly to the Mavs, do you think he would have been so impatient to just up and sign the deal that he did without waiting a few more hours?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.