* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

179,624 Views | 2611 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by TRM
oh no
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't see anyone below the +5000 line winning it. That leaves the top 12 by oddsmakers. Squads like Croatia and Belgium seem like they're getting past their aging golden generations. I'd love to see the Dutch make the final after missing four years ago. They each have some issues or hesitations, but honestly, Brazil, France, and England have the most notable rosters IMO.
Who?mikejones!
I thought England would be a good candidate but was honestly a little underwhelmed when I saw their roster.

I'm married to a Brazilian, but when looking at their roster, I didn't recognize most of the team...hence the old feeling.

Guess I'm gonna go with france

Rudyjax
AG
How does that work?
oh no
AG
Brazil's roster is stacked with a bunch of the best players in the world playing at top clubs in the world.

They have two EPL keepers in Allison (Liverpool) and Ederson (Man City).

Midfielders Fabino (Liverpool), Fred (ManU), Cesemiro (ManU),

Forwards: Neymar (PSG), Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid), Antony (ManU), Richarlson (Tottenham), Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal)

They have three Juventus defenders plus defenders from PSG, Chelsea, Madrid, and Sevilla
Who?mikejones!
I dont doubt that in any way. I dont get to watch ad much soccer anymore as unused to.

Pretty much arsenal and leeds.

I haven't watched a brazil game in a while. I'm just not up to date on a lot of their players
jeffk
AG
I actually think either France or Brazil will win (top two odds).
tysker
AG
oh no said:

Brazil's roster is stacked with a bunch of the best players in the world playing at top clubs in the world.
and yet you list three players on ManU and mention another that three players are at Juventus.
KCup17
AG
oh no said:

Forwards: Neymar (PSG), Vinicius Jr (Real Madrid), Antony (ManU), Richarlson (Tottenham), Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal)

They have three Juventus defenders plus defenders from PSG, Chelsea, Madrid, and Sevilla

I still have no idea why Richarlison was selected over Firmino. Bobby choppers has been killing it this year while the pigeon has been underwhelming.

I think the biggest thing for England is their back line. They may make a run but they won't win it all as they will get pillaged when playing a dynamic attack.
jeffk
AG
Bobby Bright Teeth had been long under-appreciated by the Brazilian NT coaches. As a LFC fan, I'm torn about his exclusion. Feel bad for him, but it's probably good for our club chances of clawing our way back into the top four.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

I actually think either France or Brazil will win (top two odds).

That's a pretty safe bet.
jeffk
AG
Correct
oh no
AG
tysker said:

oh no said:

and yet you list three players on ManU and mention another that three players are at Juventus.

Meh. ManU and Juventus are a mess right now, but those are really good Intl players all on the Brazil roster. Fred hasn't been good, but Antony has looked legit and Casemiro is still a high level defender or CDM. ...and when you look at those three Juventus defenders on Brazil's WC roster, not sure how many will start, but add in Tiago and others and compare the overall Brazil defenders roster to almost any other WC roster, it's pretty damn good.
oh no
AG
36 MLS players in Qatar:

Charlotte FC
Chicago Fire FC
FC Cincinnati
Colorado Rapids
Columbus Crew
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo FC
LAFC
LA Galaxy
Inter Miami CF
Minnesota United FC
CF Montral
Nashville SC
New York City FC
New York Red Bulls
Orlando City SC
Philadelphia Union
Real Salt Lake
Seattle Sounders FC
Toronto FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
texagbeliever
oh no said:

Martinelli [Arsenal] is better than Richarlson and is also on the Brazil squad. If I were the Brazil coach I'd look to start 5 of those forwards (not richarlson) and just have them take up whatever spot they wanted. Great 1v1 dribbling and interlink play would have them scoring 2 goals a game at least.
oh no
AG
I don't know what's going on with Richarlson the last six months at Tottenham. He was really good last year at Everton. The Brazil coaches just saw him score 3 goals in their two September friendlies in WC prep though - with him playing up top as #9 and Neymar at #10 behind him.
Rudyjax
AG
Not surprising overall.

I am surprised about MLS over Championship.

Premier League 136
La Liga 83
Bundesliga 76
Serie A 68
Ligue 1 54
Major League Soccer 36
Saudi Pro League 33
Qatar Stars League 33
EFL Championship 26
Liga MX 23

OregonAggie
AG
I think France is in too much turmoil to go far in the tournament but I think they win their group.

Brazil is loaded with talent and I think they pull it off but I think Argentina, England, and the Netherlands all have good chances too. Brazil looks to have the strongest roster.

I've played with this simulator a few times recently. Fun and kill some time through the day!

https://worldsoccertalk.com/predictor/#group=h
akm91
AG
I think the winner of Argentina/Brazil semi will win the WC, assuming form holds.
akm91
AG
FIFA has a WC Bracket Challenge as well:

FIFA WC Bracket Challenge
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Ken Scarborough said:

Not surprising overall.

I am surprised about MLS over Championship.

Premier League 136
La Liga 83
Bundesliga 76
Serie A 68
Ligue 1 54
Major League Soccer 36
Saudi Pro League 33
Qatar Stars League 33
EFL Championship 26
Liga MX 23

I imagine that most Championship players are English or European, so they're in the AAA compared to their national team players. MLS is probably hands-downs more appealing than the Ecuadorian or Uruguayan leagues. I could be VERY wrong about this as well.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
It's more Canada.

11 Canadians
9 Americans
7 South Americans
3 Euros
2 Central Americans
2 Africans
1 Asia Pac
1 Mexican

OregonAggie
AG
Not sure how many of those Toronto guys start for the Canadian NT but that's really good for chemistry, on and off the field.
oh no
AG
Montreal has 6 Canadian national team players on their Qatar roster and Toronto has 3. Yes, lots of chemistry and training hours together. ..and we know from WC qualifying, Canada can play.
akm91
AG
Kinda like Spain's NT use to be primarily dominated by Barca and Real.
texagbeliever
Germany has had Bayern which normally has 4-5 guys.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

Montreal has 6 Canadian national team players on their Qatar roster and Toronto has 3. Yes, lots of chemistry and training hours together. ..and we know from WC qualifying, Canada can play.

They play team soccer way better than we did.
PatAg
AG
Well, they played a specific style, which is similar to how we used to play.
I think they have a chance ot advance from group, but we are attempting to move on from it because you place a ceiling on yourself with it. (generally speaking)
fig96
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

oh no said:

They play CONCACAF soccer better than we do, super curious to see how they do against teams like Belgium and Croatia.
jeffk
AG
It's a small sample size as well. This is basically Canada's golden generation team.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

It's a small sample size as well. This is basically Canada's golden generation team.
The MLS has helped Canada as well as the US.

I think the improvements in youth development in the US extended to Canada.

Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

oh no said:

They play CONCACAF soccer better than we do, super curious to see how they do against teams like Belgium and Croatia.
So how does that matter when they're 2-1-1 in the last 4 meetings against us.
tysker
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

imo, MLS has helped development for every CONCACAF nation in some way (Mexico may be the odd man out, but MLS plays their NT players a damn good salary)
fig96
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

fig96 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

oh no said:

So how does that matter when they're 2-1-1 in the last 4 meetings against us.
I mean, all that matters in qualifying is getting out and we did. The tournament is where it all counts.

I think we're built (in theory) to play much better against euro squads and they're built to play a more CONCACAF style. We'll see how that plays out.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

Yup, they've got a perfect storm happening right now.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

imo, MLS has helped development for every CONCACAF nation in some way (Mexico may be the odd man out, but MLS plays their NT players a damn good salary)
I would say that, but there are only 3 from Costa Rica that play in MLS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.