* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,665 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All contingent upon health of the players. Hoping most of our players are in form heading into the WC. We must wrap Gio in bubble wrap...
Thunder18
AG
tysker said:

Will there more or less complaining about roster spots with the expansion to 26?
Guys like Roldan, Bello, Morris, Pefok, Scally where all edge players with a 23-man roster that now have a legitimate chance of making the 26-man roster. Will we see less *****ing about Roldan making the squad now?

Lol, no.
akm91
AG
Looks like Horvath will be riding the bench @ Forest this upcoming season. He'll need to go to a championship club or back to MLS to get starting minutes.

Quote:

Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson is in talks with Nottingham Forest over a one-year loan deal.

The move would also include the option of a permanent transfer to the Premier League newcomers.

Henderson to Forest
Bryan98
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Luca better be on the roster. I love it when he's put in the game. He is an immediate injection of energy.

Same with Aaronson

I'm not there on LdLT yet, though he's been good. Totally agree about Aaronson, though. He and Reyna (injury issues aside) are at the top of my "how can we get these guys into the lineup" list.

It's gonna be so interesting to watch these guys play for their clubs this Fall and think about how it affects their spots. I hope Aaronson kills it at Leeds (when they're not playing Tottenham).

And I hope Berhalter wakes up and makes Matt Turner the #1. No question in my mind that he's been the best keeper when playing actual games for the US.
Aston94
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Sporting News projection of roster...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/usa-world-cup-2022-roster-usmnt-squad-starting-xi-qatar/uqwz7kdurshiubk1nethvccj
They have Reyna in the midfield taking LDT's spot. I think LDT would definitely make the team ans then move Reyna into the spot Morris is claiming. I don't see Morris on the final roster.
AgGrad99
AG
Bryan98 said:

AgGrad99 said:

Luca better be on the roster. I love it when he's put in the game. He is an immediate injection of energy.

Same with Aaronson
I'm not there on LdLT yet, though he's been good. Totally agree about Aaronson, though. He and Reyna (injury issues aside) are at the top of my "how can we get these guys into the lineup" list.

It's gonna be so interesting to watch these guys play for their clubs this Fall and think about how it affects their spots. I hope Aaronson kills it at Leeds (when they're not playing Tottenham).

And I hope Berhalter wakes up and makes Matt Turner the #1. No question in my mind that he's been the best keeper when playing actual games for the US.
I wasnt sold on Luca early on, but I am now.

I am with you about Aaronson. I hope he makes a huge impact at Leeds. That would be so great to see.
Rudyjax
AG
Shocking how fast the 9 changes.

tysker
AG
Is that harsh? He had like 4 or 5 touches total even having CP, Aaronson, and Musah playing right behind him.
Mathguy64
AG
Given the conditions last night that criticism is idiotic.
tysker
AG
more of the quote:
Quote:

We're all rooting for Haji to be a force. We purposely played more direct in the first half, because we thought he could be the force that would unsettle them. And it just wasn't his night tonight."

"It doesn't rule him out for anything in the future. We don't work like that," explained Berhalter. "Now it's about him going back to his club and continue to score goals and do his thing. But you know, it was unlucky night for him tonight for sure."
deadbq03
AG
Conditions were awful but Ferreira looked significantly better, so I don't think he's too far off base.

But the fact that he's vocal about it makes me think something must've happened off the pitch.
Rudyjax
AG
Sargent
Zardes
Dike
Pepi
Haji
Jesus

I guess he really is our savior?
LeonardSkinner
Aston94 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Sporting News projection of roster...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/usa-world-cup-2022-roster-usmnt-squad-starting-xi-qatar/uqwz7kdurshiubk1nethvccj
They have Reyna in the midfield taking LDT's spot. I think LDT would definitely make the team ans then move Reyna into the spot Morris is claiming. I don't see Morris on the final roster.

Is Morris just Wondo version 2.022?
DeangeloVickers
AG
I really like Haji.
bagger05
AG
Host cities announced today, correct?

This dude thinks:
Quote:

After years of watching the race, here are this writer's picks for which cities will host games.

In: Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Santa Clara, Seattle, and Washington/Baltimore in the U.S.; Toronto and Vancouver in Canada; Guadalajara, Mexico City and Monterrey in Mexico.

Out: Boston, Cincinnati, Denver, Edmonton, Nashville, and Orlando.

https://www.inquirer.com/soccer/2026-world-cup-possible-host-cities-20220615.html?outputType=amp
TRM
AG
I think they will have 3 host cities in Canada, but that's just my opinion.
wangus12
AG
I can't remember, but they are making these stadiums put down real grass for this right. A lot of the stadiums have turf fields, but I feel like I remember FIFA making a rule after the 2015 Women's WC about artificial turf
Mathguy64
AG
FIFA allows for artificial surfaces but I cannot imagine they would select host sites with them for the Mens WC. Places like Houston or Dallas will need to bring in grass on top of the artificial. They do have restrictions on seating. Each seat must be individual and benches are not allowed. For those hoping Kyle Field gets a host I'm afraid without tearing out the bleachers it's impossible.
jeffk
AG
I'm thinking only one of Dallas and Houston gets selected.

Edit to add that I'd be happy to be wrong about this.
wangus12
AG
It'll be DFW if thats the case. Biggest airport and stadium. I can't see any way they bypass the Death Star
bagger05
AG
Mathguy64 said:

FIFA allows for artificial surfaces but I cannot imagine they would select host sites with them for the Mens WC. Places like Houston or Dallas will need to bring in grass on top of the artificial. They do have restrictions on seating. Each seat must be individual and benches are not allowed. For those hoping Kyle Field gets a host I'm afraid without tearing out the bleachers it's impossible.

Dallas is going to also have to raise the level of the playing surface to make it wide enough.
JJxvi
AG
Houston is hosting, The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority spilled the beans in a tweet telling people to watch then deleted it.
bagger05
AG
JJxvi said:

Houston is hosting, The Harris County-Houston Sports Authority spilled the beans in a tweet telling people to watch then deleted it.

I think DFW and Houston are both in.
Bryan98
AG
JJxvi said:

Big if true!
Thunder18
AG
jeffk said:

I'm thinking only one of Dallas and Houston gets selected.

Edit to add that I'd be happy to be wrong about this.

I bet they both get selected
Aston94
AG
My opinion

Locks:
Atlanta
Dallas
LA
NYC
Miami
Seattle

Toronto
Vancouver

Mexico City
Guadalajara
Monterrey

Likelies:
Houston
Philly
San Fran/Santa Clara
Washington/Baltimore

On the Bubble:
Nashville
Kansas City
Orlando

No way:
Edmonton
Boston
Cincinnati
Denver
KCup17
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

I don't understand the backlash to this statement by GGG. His take is on the money. Defend Haji all you want but he was absent for most of the game. Wasn't involved much and had difficult linking play. Frankly, he played very poorly. He had a clear cut chance that he should have put away. He didn't even hit the frame... Jesus coming in completely changed our attack.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, it was pretty candid and maybe out of character for GB, but I don't feel the need to stick up for Haji either - he's a pro and I bet he doesn't feel like he played particularly well in either of the last two games he's featured in.
Aston94
AG
KCup17 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

I don't understand the backlash to this statement by GGG. His take is on the money. Defend Haji all you want but he was absent for most of the game. Wasn't involved much and had difficult linking play. Frankly, he played very poorly. He had a clear cut chance that he should have put away. He didn't even hit the frame... Jesus coming in completely changed our attack.
The "out to get Ggg" on twitter contingent uses any statement to attack. If he had defended Haji and said that Wright had played well the twitter contingent would have attacked him for that too.

AgGrad99
AG
bagger05 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Dallas is going to also have to raise the level of the playing surface to make it wide enough.
Interesting. Have they done that before for previous games?

I've watched some international games there, and if you're on the bottom level, it's a great venue to watch a game.
EastSideAg2002
I thought it was expected jerryworld was getting a semifinal.
bagger05
AG
Soccer has flexible dimensions for the size of the field but I think for the World Cup it's a much tighter tolerance. So whatever they can normally do is probably fine for regular tournaments but maybe it needs to be bigger for the WC?
bagger05
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

I thought it was expected jerryworld was getting a semifinal.

I've heard Dallas and Atlanta for the semis, NYC for the final.

But I've heard there is an outside chance at Dallas getting the final. The roof would take the chance of a delay due to a freak thunderstorm off the table. Seems pretty weak to me… figure NYC is going to be the final.

But then again it's FIFA. Maybe Jerry bribed them.
akm91
AG
Hard to imagine LA not getting the final given how successful it was back in '94.
JJxvi
AG
I believe the example used in the bidding process had the final in NY, semis in Atlanta and Dallas, and the opening match in either Azteca or the Rose Bowl.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.