* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,626 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiephoenix02
Good. This will help us in 2026 when we host the World Cup!
This message brought to you by the Entertainment Board Sneaker Thread Player Haterz Club President.
Aston94
AG
Playing the Copa here two years before hosting the WC will be awesome. Without qualification we are going to struggle to find meaningful games, and this would give our guys a great challenge in their preparations.
oh no
AG
Another copa america here would be amazing
bagger05
AG
I would love for a combined CONCACAF/CONMEBOL tournament to be the norm it non WC even years.
JJxvi
AG
Solid debut tournament for Pep Guardiola led USMNT
jeffk
AG
Apparently Gio Reyna left the Dortmund game today after a couple minutes with another muscle injury.
Out in Left Field
AG
After 77 seconds
jeffk
AG
Either his muscles are just made of tissue paper or Dortmund is practicing 12th century medicine over there.
TamuKid
AG
Aston94
AG
Man that sucks for him.
gougler08
AG
Just rest him til November
PatAg
AG
Couldn't imagine the frustration he is feeling
Pahdz
Dude has the emotional intelligence of a four year old, but that sucks

Legal Custodian
AG
He sure is an ugly crier
AgGrad99
AG
gougler08 said:

Just rest him til November

No kidding.
oragator
All three of our games are at 2p est it appears.

https://mcusercontent.com/4ef9e48118d62394ba5b65ae9/files/a37b840e-1f90-d20d-64ee-ca85ba75b7e1/FIFA_World_Cup_Qatar_2022.pdf
AgGrad99
AG
So Gio has a torn tendon....

Will he be ready for November. And if he is, what kind of shape will he be in I wonder.

Would be awesome if he could play some in June, and get in shape before November, but that seems unlikely.
Aston94
AG
AgGrad99 said:

So Gio has a torn tendon....

Will he be ready for November. And if he is, what kind of shape will he be in I wonder.

Would be awesome if he could play some in June, and get in shape before November, but that seems unlikely.
No way he plays in June, I am just hopeful he will be ready for the beginning of next season so he can get some playing time in before November.
jeffk
AG
They didn't say anything about Gio needing surgery?
PatAg
AG
Currently just listed as out for the rest of their season, but that doesnt preclude him from being ready for anything in the Summer.
I do think at this point, it would be best for our World Cup chances for Gio to just concentrate on being ready to start their next season off. That way he has his best chance of recovering and being in form for the World Cup
deadbq03
AG
I agree completely. I think even if he could possibly play in June, I'd rather see him rest and be ready to hit Dortmund's training camp hard in July.

Yeah, ideally he wouldn't have gotten injured so ideally we'd be able to use that time to figure out how he slots into our starting 11… but that ship has now sailed. He's just gotten yet another injury after only just returning from being injured. I think he needs to be told "no, get some rest" even if it's theoretically possible he could play.
TamuKid
AG
He was out from September through February with his first injury.
Played 104 minutes across 3 games before tweaking it again late Feb, keeping him out for 2 weeks.
Played 264 minutes across 8 games in March/April before this last injury.

I believe the first injury was his right hamstring; and this time it's his left?

That's over 7 months struggling with injury. Very unfortunate.
Going to be very tricky for him to get healthy and then back into match fitness before September, IMO.
deadbq03
AG
Some good news FWIW… two Americans make this list of Europe's most valuable rookies:

Pepi is 15th and Busio is 19th.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10708643/Europes-20-valuable-rookies-revealed-including-RB-Leipzig-former-Chelsea-starlets.html
jeffk
AG
deadbq03
AG
I had to look… they have left no stone unturned trying to find content. Live games include the Mongolian Premier League and the Nepalese Women's League. Best league they feature is the Danish Superliga. I saw one random game for the Swiss Super League, and another random game for Liga MX, but that's blacked out for us… all of which pretty much confirms that even if they grow content, this won't compete with other deals, so it's pretty much only useful for highlights and documentaries.
oh no
AG
Documentaries could be good
jeffk
AG
Yes, FIFA-produced docu series about how good and upright the World Cup bidding process is.
oh no
AG
Related side note- I've seen Ken talk at a fraud conference and got his book- it's a good read

jeffk
AG
Yeah, I thought that was a great read too.
Legal Custodian
AG
Has anyone read Das Reboot by Raphael Honigstein?

I read it a couple of years ago and it is fascinating. It's about the "reboot" that the German DFB did after the failure of the 2004 Euro's and how they (Klinsmann) completely reformed the way academies, training, and scouting was done in order to get a good team for 2006 for when Germany hosted the World Cup. Ultimately leading to the win in 2014.

It goes pretty deep at how the Bundesliga and DFB was set up and how this change brought about a revamped and exciting Bundesliga and national team. Easy and good read so far. It was written in 2015 and brings up Flick, Tuchel, Low, Klinsmann, Klopp, and other notable names.

1836er
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Has anyone read Das Reboot by Raphael Honigstein?

I read it a couple of years ago and it is fascinating. It's about the "reboot" that the German DFB did after the failure of the 2004 Euro's and how they (Klinsmann) completely reformed the way academies, training, and scouting was done in order to get a good team for 2006 for when Germany hosted the World Cup. Ultimately leading to the win in 2014.

It goes pretty deep at how the Bundesliga and DFB was set up and how this change brought about a revamped and exciting Bundesliga and national team. Easy and good read so far. It was written in 2015 and brings up Flick, Tuchel, Low, Klinsmann, Klopp, and other notable names.

And... just in case anyone doesn't get the refernce.

gougler08
AG
You sure its not this?

ChipFTAC01
AG
Dammit, I couldn't figure out how to link to that pic from my phone.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I still say Klinsmann was amazing....it's just our US soccer organization is absolute **** show and drove him insane

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.