* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,644 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
ja86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

ja86 said:

wow, if true, what a *****....
what if….
What if he took the trip and all, but didn't report a single person?

Probably has a quota, He never may be allowed out of Qatar if he misses it lol...
tysker
AG
seems like a bot could do a better job and cheaper
Dre_00
Good times...

jeffk
AG
Full text of the letter:

tysker
AG
/when that poster you really despise makes a comment that you sort of agree with.

I mean has somehow FIFA channeled Jeremy Piven's character from PCU?
Dre_00
Nah, that's a horse**** statement that is not so subtle code for "Let's ignore the societal ills that are inconvenient for me because they damage my image and my ability to make money but I am all for building broad campaigns around the societal ills that I can profit significantly from." If you took that statement at face value, you'd think they would advocate for slavery in the name of "respecting diverse opinions".

"Let's respect the values of non-discrimination by not discriminating against the people who are clearly discriminating" is some absolute nonsense.

tysker
AG
Quote:

One of the great strengths of the world is indeed its very diversity, and if inclusion means anything, it means having respect for that diversity. No one people or culture or nation is "better" than any other. This principle is the very foundation stone of mutual respect and non-discrimination.
This is an objectively false statement.
deadbq03
AG
If they had come out with a firm "we've learned our lesson and in the future any country with discriminatory laws will not be considered for selection" statement then I could abide a "so for now let's just focus on football" message.
jeffk
AG
They're using a pseudo-intellectual argument that "culture" is an impenetrable block with no component parts that are fair game for criticism.

"Who's to say jailing LGBTQ people is wrong? It's a part of their culture and we must respect that."

"Sure, they practice cannibalism, but it's unfair for us to criticize someone's cultural beliefs."
tysker
AG
FIFA: Russia is denied access to the WC because it attacked a sovereign nation.
Also FIFA: "respect all opinions and beliefs, without handing out moral lessons to the rest of the world"
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

They're using a pseudo-intellectual argument that "culture" is an impenetrable block with no component parts that are fair game for criticism.

"Who's to say jailing LGBTQ people is wrong? It's a part of their culture and we must respect that."

"Sure, they practice cannibalism, but it's unfair for us to criticize someone's cultural beliefs."
The holocaust was no big deal. Just part of their culture.
oh no
AG
To be clear: the western world going to Doha to play or watch soccer is supposed to be mad about how the Islamic culture treats women and homosexuals; this is not about how the wealthy middle eastern Muslim states treat the poor south Asian/ Pakistani migrants who do all of their construction, landscaping, housekeeping, etc.

Why wasn't there more outrage and statements made years ago when FIFA awarded the contract? At this point, it seems too late. The players should just go play and the people visiting should enjoy the luxurious new stadiums, hotels, etc. they built for this event- just be careful about alcohol and public displays of affection outside of the designated resort areas.

Also, after a lack of hooligans and a sense of forced calm and quiet this time, the 2026 World Cup in USA/CAN/M EX is going to be BA-NANAS.
jeffk
AG
oh no said:

Why wasn't there more outrage and statements made years ago when FIFA awarded the contract? At this point, it seems too late. The players should just go play and the people visiting should enjoy the luxurious new stadiums, hotels, etc. they built for this event

Yeah, I don't think anyone expressing concern or outrage at this point thinks anything that has been done will be undone. More just attempting to influence the Qatari govt to not go overboard in policing visiting fans and to let FIFA know their displeasure in hopes that future cup bids won't be handled similarly.

As for why there wasn't more outrage shown earlier? There was plenty from fans and supporter groups and national federations at the time the bid was awarded and there's been a steady stream of information about abuses and bribes and misconduct. But short of a global boycott by fans and sponsors, that bid wasn't going to be stripped. So everyone is just expressing their feelings at this point knowing we've all been played by FIFA.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Wow.

Attention FIFA and Quatar: i will watch this site and rat out every last mf'er on here for a 2 week vacation. Contact is in my profile. I will be waiting for your reply with the plane tickets.
Aston94
AG
tysker said:

FIFA: Russia is denied access to the WC because it attacked a sovereign nation.
Also FIFA: "respect all opinions and beliefs, without handing out moral lessons to the rest of the world"

Exactly.
deadbq03
AG
No idea how many of them really mean it, but lots of Bundesliga fans made their opinions known this weekend.

deadbq03
AG
Dortmund's was obviously the most impressive:
tysker
AG
This time they really mean it!
Bockaneer
AG
Why now?

Nm- I scrolled up
DeangeloVickers
AG
tysker
AG
Boy that midfield is really the strength of this team

That outside back situation is not optimal at all. Lots of versatility but not a lot of class. What are the odds we play 3 in the back?
aggiephoenix02
That's an awesome roster!

Roldan, haha, F all you haterz…
Rudyjax
AG
Roldan? Wtf.
oh no
AG
really sucks Mark McKenzie, Miles Robinson, and Chris Richards aren't available as three of our best CBs..

Can Dest and Jedi play full 90 every single match in Qatar, because I don't have confidence in probably 2 of our other 3 full backs and there's really only 1 true LB on the roster although Dest and Scalley can play on left side even if it's not their best position.

Hey, where is Arriola? Hurt? He's Greggg's boy. Thought he'd be there for sure.

one of the replies re: Roldan:

tysker
AG
I'll admit to liking Roldan's play (I thought he has been hurt) but interesting there is no Arriola. I'd rather have Arriola over Cannon.
Pahdz
Arriola has a spot on this team, would be disappointed if he's not there. Not a fan of Roldan.

Missing Miles Robinson suuuuuucks
aggiephoenix02
Arriola not being in the roster is crappy, not as bad as Klinnsman leaving Landon at home, but pretty crappy…
aggiephoenix02
I'm glad Acosta made it, hopefully he gets a lot of playing time…
tysker
AG
I'm not sure how accurate the above is.
Isnt DLT hurt? And before that he wasnt really playing for his club much.
gambochaman
AG
SIAP
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4795763/qatar-world-cup-is-a-mistake-former-fifa-president-sepp-blatter
oh no
AG
tysker said:

i think the report on LDLT was the injury would put him out about 3 weeks- right up to the WC, so he was still expected to be included in the roster. ..and yes, he has not been playing a ton for club.
AustinScubaAg
AG
tysker said:

Yes Hamstring injury was supposed to be out about 3 weeks (news came out Oct 28th)
DeangeloVickers
AG
gambochaman said:

SIAP
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4795763/qatar-world-cup-is-a-mistake-former-fifa-president-sepp-blatter

He would know corruption. Find a host that wasn't corrupt.
akm91
AG
tysker said:

Boy that midfield is really the strength of this team

That outside back situation is not optimal at all. Lots of versatility but not a lot of class. What are the odds we play 3 in the back?
This has been a known issue since Berhalter tookover. The one new player is Scally who was nowhere on anyone's radar back in 2019. Think this changes for '26 as some of the youngsters in MLS (and Europe) get more playing time and hopefully move overseas to play at higher level.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
roster exclusions due to injury or gregg

GK: Horvath
CB: Miles (injury), Richards (injury?), McKenzie (injury), Brooks, Miazga
LB: Vines (injury?), Bello
RB: Shaq Moore
MF: Busio, Lletget, Sands,
F: Arriola, Morris, Haji Wright, Pefok, Hoppe, Konrad,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.