* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,640 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Gotta admire the ingenuity, and some of his linked kits he has done dont look bad, if you are into tie-dye look
PatAg
AG
Somewhat related note, I wish we had better t-shirts for USMNT supporters. I would be much more likely to wear those out and about than a jersey, and they usually just suck.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Reading the comments on the official release on Instagram and they are universally negative. I literally did not see a single comment that these are ok.
TamuKid
AG
The Netherlands is yellow now? Wtf is wrong with Nike.

Their best kit is Saudi Arabia. Followed by the home Croatia (away Croatia looks like a 1996 Windows screensaver). Every other kit looks like a kid designed it in MS Paint. And oh my… poor Canada.
JJxvi
AG
Canada had to have requested that look, right?
ja86
AG
so how much does the USSF get in kick backs from Nike? The only way that Nike continually produces such crap for the USMNT
JJxvi
AG
Lol, what? Kickback? Yes, it is called a sponsorship. Texas A&M gets a "kickback" to wear adidas too…
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
JJxvi said:

I'd honestly prefer those in US colors to what we usually get. If you add a collar, and have the shorts/socks be different color than shirt, they'd be perfect.
Furlock Bones
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

JJxvi said:

I'd honestly prefer those in US colors to what we usually get. If you add a collar, and have the shorts/socks be different color than shirt, they'd be perfect.

Naw. I'm 100% with Alexi Lalas on this. We need to lean into the Stars and Stripes. Lean into the red white and blue. That's the US. Stop trying to make us England.
fig96
AG
This isn't hard, we want a consistent look that's recognizable. Argentina gets it.

Give us the Waldos.
akm91
AG
England's kit is boring but not nearly as bad as ours

akm91
AG
Why didn't Nike do for us what they did for France? Their white kit looks fantastic!

jeffk
AG
Hubris thy name is Nike.

AgRyan04
I struggle with MLS jerseys all sucking because they use the same templates....but national team jerseys should be easy and beautiful. There are so many fan made versions that are so, so good that it drives me bonkers when the professionals make it suck.

(and it also makes me thankful I bought a Centennial kit back in 2013....easily the most beautiful of the boring)
AgRyan04
PatAg said:

i had not seen this 3rd one before as an idea

Those are perfect. So, so, so frustrating.
tysker
AG
akm91 said:

Why didn't Nike do for us what they did for France? Their white kit looks fantastic!

Imagine a US version of the whites with an impression of Washington Crossing the Delaware, or Franklin Appearing before the Privy Council, or Patrick Henry Before the House of Burgesses?
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

akm91 said:

Imagine a US version of the whites with an impression of Washington Crossing the Delaware, or Franklin Appearing before the Privy Council, or Patrick Henry Before the House of Burgesses?
Nike could've hired Ben Knox to Americanify it.
JJxvi
AG
https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/2071273

https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/1978040

Just in case anyone wants to actually revisit the initial reaction to the Waldos
jeffk
AG
Lol. 2012 me was a prophet.

Quote:

The crest makes me angry. It would take someone all of 20 minutes using free software to make a better one.
fig96
AG
jeffk said:

Lol. 2012 me was a prophet.

Quote:

The crest makes me angry. It would take someone all of 20 minutes using free software to make a better one.

I mean, at least they did finally fix the crest.
Furlock Bones
AG
JJxvi said:

https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/2071273

https://texags.com/forums/51/topics/1978040

Just in case anyone wants to actually revisit the initial reaction to the Waldos

Seems like some liked it. Some didn't. That's pretty normal. This is most overwhelmingly negative reaction I've seen.

Part of it is that we missed the last WC. 8 years wandering the wilderness. We expected something special to mark our return.

The whites are even worse for the womens squad.

Rudyjax
AG
Ok...i hate to interupt a good ****ting on the on uniform, but wanted to talk about Pepi over Pefollk.

We know Pepi is a favorite of Gggs, but he didn't play well the last time in camp and struggled in the Bundesleiga. He's learning a new team in a lessor league.

Pefolk did well for young boys and is lighting up the Bundesliga.

Is it possible there was pressure to have another Hispanic American on the team?

Did Ggg someone, not Ggg, promise him the WC ?

Is this a bigger snub, if true, than Donovon in 2014?
Forum Troll
AG
https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/soccer/2022/9/15/23354678/world-cup-kits-2022-uniforms-best-and-worst

Love the horrible Puma box things on the away kits.

And Portugal is so bad.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Is it possible there was pressure to have another Hispanic American on the team?
Really comes down to how Berhalter views the skillset for his strikers. Pepi fits his want better than Pefok in terms of how he wants the striker to play. Don't think Pefok can do the pressing that Pepi, Sargent and Fereira nor the dropping into midfield like Pepi and Fereira can.
Furlock Bones
AG
That's the talking points that have been spread on the decision. But me personally I like not only goals Pefok is scoring but also the change in style.

But one thing I keep coming back to is there are no squad limits. Only self imposed ones. Is Gregg making the choice to limit the amount of players or is US Soccer being cheap? This is something I've wondered in past international breaks as well.
PatAg
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

JJxvi said:

I just heard that Nike starts development on these 18 months in advance, and they didn't think Canada was going to make it..,.so they didnt actualy design them in advance. WoW
PatAg
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Ok...i hate to interupt a good ****ting on the on uniform, but wanted to talk about Pepi over Pefollk.

We know Pepi is a favorite of Gggs, but he didn't play well the last time in camp and struggled in the Bundesleiga. He's learning a new team in a lessor league.

Pefok has yet to play well for the USMNT, and isnt a player that has looked comfortable pressing.
I think that went into it more than anything.

I dont see how there is any way this is even remotely on level with snubbing Donovan

He is scoring quite a bit of course
Out in Left Field
AG
So you're saying it took 18 months to perfect the US's crap jersey. Incredible.
deadbq03
AG
I wonder if it's partially a team chemistry thing with Pefok, too. He's not comfortable speaking English.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

I wonder if it's partially a team chemistry thing with Pefok, too. He's not comfortable speaking English.

That would certainly play a factor?
jeffk
AG
Well, crap. Hope he heals up quickly.

akm91
AG
Hope Berhalter calls in Williamson as replacement to get him reacqauinted with the group.
bularry
Ken Scarborough said:

very questionable decision based on recent form, agree. no idea the motive
jeffk
AG
I posted a series of comments from GB on hist roster choices a few pages back and to me it seems like he knows what Pefok is capable of and is giving Pepi one more chance to get back on track before the WC roster is announced.

This is a good read too - http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/analysis-thoughts-and-takeaways-from-berhalter-s-media-call
jeffk
AG
Cardosa is Musah's replacement in camp.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.