* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

160,228 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
TRM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aston94
AG
deadbq03
AG
Hmm… How is Pepi exhausted? Dude has barely played for Augsburg.
BJM1781
AG
So glad Malik Tillman was brought in to camp. Hoping we can get this kid in the fold prior to the Cup. We really, really need another CF.

Though I'm a bit confused as to why he is listed as a midfielder on the roster. I'd think he was brought on to exclusively provide depth at forward.
akm91
AG
deadbq03 said:

Hmm… How is Pepi exhausted? Dude has barely played for Augsburg.
Berhalter said a while ago he wasn't calling in Pepi to give him a mental break.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
deadbq03
AG
Thanks. Hope things work out better for him next season.
jeffk
AG
Summer game schedule:

tysker
AG
Don't know why but that back line seems awfully thin to me. Maybe because we dont yet know what we have with Long, EPB, CCV or Scally. Plus I dont really rate Yedlin, Cannon or Bello as more than backups at this point
Thunder18
AG
Djordje and Roldan...like playing down a man, those guys are invincible when they play for the NT. Maybe they'll prove me wrong this time
akm91
AG
tysker said:

Don't know why but that back line seems awfully thin to me. Maybe because we dont yet know what we have with Long, EPB, CCV or Scally. Plus I dont really rate Yedlin, Cannon or Bello as more than backups at this point
Thin as in not many CB's called in? I guess Berhalter knows he'll get Richards back and McKenzie is known quantity so CCV, EPB and Long are brought in to figure out if they're capable backups.

Really hope Scally steps up his game and shows he can be Jedi's backup so we don't have ot resort to Dest being Jedi's backup.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
deadbq03
AG
He's probably my favorite addition. It's possible he could become the backup to both of them, since he played both sides for Gladbach.
PatAg
AG
Thunder18 said:

Djordje and Roldan...like playing down a man, those guys are invincible when they play for the NT. Maybe they'll prove me wrong this time

I can see that for a Roldan, but Mihailovic hasn't played for us in quite some time and definitely not since his upgrade in play for his club.
We shall see
fig96
AG
Thunder18 said:

Mihailovic hasn't played for the Nats in over a year and a half and is having a breakout season so maybe give him a chance.
Thunder18
AG
fig96 said:

Thunder18 said:

Mihailovic hasn't played for the Nats in over a year and a half and is having a breakout season so maybe give him a chance.

BJM1781
AG
Just stop, Greg.

He's got to quit bringing in Roldan. It truly is a wasted spot. I think we can all agree that we've seen enough of the guy to know he brings very, very little to the table from a USMNT perspective. Give a young guy a shot at a 1st cap, ffs.
PatAg
AG
BJM1781 said:

Just stop, Greg.

He's got to quit bringing in Roldan. It truly is a wasted spot. I think we can all agree that we've seen enough of the guy to know he brings very, very little to the table from a USMNT perspective. Give a young guy a shot at a 1st cap, ffs.
I agree that we know what he can bring, I dont mind him situationally, but Id to have someone push them off the WC team but id be ok if they dont.
Just give the young dudes the run out
PatAg
AG
To Thunder's point, I always appreciate this persons insight. I generally agree with him, at least in terms of how we both see Gregg's tactical approach.

fig96
AG
Thunder18 said:

fig96 said:

Thunder18 said:

Yeah, you obviously expect a lot, certainly a hopeful tone

Dude is tearing up MLS, he's a different player than he was 2 years ago.
fig96
AG
With Leeds staying up looks like they're close to a move for Aaronson, look forward to seeing what he can do in the Premier League:

AgGrad99
AG
A. Im glad Leeds stayed up. I find myself rooting for them after watching Take Us Home.

B. Happy for Aaronson. I hope he hits the ground running!
gougler08
AG
Leeds should be a good place for him to work on his attacking
deadbq03
AG
That's a pretty good fee.

I'll definitely watch Leeds next year when I get a chance.
fig96
AG
This is...interesting.

deadbq03
AG
We should maybe make a separate USMNT transfer rumors thread, but smoke is building on Tyler Adams leaving Leipzig. And recently, there's speculation that he could join Leeds too.

Regarding him leaving, you can hear his own kiss of death late in this interview after winning the DFB-Pokal:

Also, an interesting comment was made during Leipzig's last regular season game. Adams picked up his 5th yellow of the season and the announcer made the comment that he'd have to miss the season opener next year… to which the commentator added, "yeah, we'll that's only if he's playing in this league next year." So he seemed to know something.

Regarding Leeds, here's the recent speculation there:
https://motleedsnews.com/news/fabrizio-romano-hints-at-leeds-united-potential-move-for-rb-leipzig-ace-tyler-adams/
AgGrad99
AG
Leeds is going to become the U.S. Development team
Aston94
AG
deadbq03 said:

We should maybe make a separate USMNT transfer rumors thread, but smoke is building on Tyler Adams leaving Leipzig. And recently, there's speculation that he could join Leeds too.

Regarding him leaving, you can hear his own kiss of death late in this interview after winning the DFB-Pokal:

Also, an interesting comment was made during Leipzig's last regular season game. Adams picked up his 5th yellow of the season and the announcer made the comment that he'd have to miss the season opener next year… to which the commentator added, "yeah, we'll that's only if he's playing in this league next year." So he seemed to know something.

Regarding Leeds, here's the recent speculation there:
https://motleedsnews.com/news/fabrizio-romano-hints-at-leeds-united-potential-move-for-rb-leipzig-ace-tyler-adams/

I watched some of RB Leipzig's games this year and I don't understand why he doesn't play more at the 6 for them. Each manager has their own preferences, and perhaps it is because Leipzig tend to play a 3 man back, but I favor Adams to Laimer (27) in what I have seen.

If the manager doesn't favor him then there is a huge market for a 6 of Adams talent.
deadbq03
AG
I probably like Laimer better for what Leipzig typically needs in that role.

Problem for Adams is they also have Kevin Kampl who's become more of a 6 in recent years (and I'd argue that Laimer is more of an 8 now). The three are frequently used similarly.

Adams is the best defender of the 3, but the others are better at supporting attacking movement, and they're only slightly worse at defending. Adams might be top 5 in the world at being the "water carrier" anchor man as a DM, but the problem for him at Leipzig (and most quality teams) is that the vast majority of Leipzig's opponents are going to play tight and more or less park the bus, so you need that extra attacking movement (sometimes I wonder if we see the same problem with the US).

What's been interesting to watch over the past couple months is that the Leipzig coaches are clearly trying to make him attack more and it's been fun to watch. There was a game where he basically played as an 8 and was frequently in the box. Even as a 6, he's now passing and running forwards instead of holding position. And he seems to have a genuinely good relationship with Tedesco based on their interactions when he subs on/off.

I do think him moving to a mid-to-bottom EPL team would be a great place for him to get gobs of playing time… but I also wonder if staying at Leipzig might be better for his overall development… he is getting better at attacking and I love seeing it. I could see him thriving in a DM role in the EPL, but not developing his attacking game anymore. Furthermore, there's far more rumors out there about teams interested in Laimer, so Adams could very well be starting again next year.
Aston94
AG
Thanks for your insight. Like I mentioned, watched Leipzig a few times and just haven't seen in what I have watched a justification for Laimer over Adams, but you clearly watch them more than I do.

Their 3 back formation does lend to needing more offensive CMs, so I get it, I guess for Tyler I want him to go to a team that needs a true 6, because that is what he is, and then helps him grow his offensive side as well. I look at what Leeds has done with Kalvin Philips and I could see Adams in a role similar to that for sure.
deadbq03
AG
Yeah. I think he's a good fit at Leeds and in Marsch's system.

And man, if he goes there, I might have to get Peacock and watch all their games.
CrockerAg98
AG
If Dest is available for $25M, I say Leeds picks him up, as well.
DeangeloVickers
AG
TRM
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4675995/zack-steffen-to-miss-us-world-cup-prep-matchessean-johnson-added
Quote:

Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen will miss the United States' four World Cup prep matches next month for what the team said was family reasons, and he was replaced on the roster Friday by New York City FC's Sean Johnson.

The 27-year-old Steffen was considered the top American goalkeeper going into qualifying last September but was sidelined at times by a back injury and started six of 14 qualifiers. New England's Matt Turner, who joins Arsenal in July, started eight.
fig96
AG
Feel for Steffen and I hope everything is ok, but I prefer Turner as our #1.
KCup17
AG
Mihailovic has to pull out of the USMNT camp due to injury
DeangeloVickers
AG
MLS vs the world. The timing of this tourney and mushing the fixtures together is gonna be UGLY

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.