* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

161,789 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Rumor is Achilles

Well that would be really not good
AgGrad99
AG
What on earth!!??!

This sucks
DeangeloVickers
AG
With the schedule in the fall there will be many many many injuries for all. Brutal
JW
AG
turf.
akm91
AG
Horrible news for Miles.

When I first saw Robinson seriously hurt I was praying it wasn't Jedi.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Aston94
AG
Bummer for Miles.
akm91
AG
carl spacklers hat
Well ****
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
wangus12
AG
At this rate we're gonna end up fielding a complete MLS 11 for the World Cup. The young guys in Europe cannot stay healthy
oh no
AG
I don't think we can advance very far without a couple of our key players fit and healthy (McKennie, Adams), but our player pool should be deep enough to put 26 players on the squad in Qatar that is good enough to beat Iran and Ukraine/Wales/Scotland and advance to the knockout stage even with some of our presumed best 11 not fit. Also note that with this schedule, our opponents will surely have some of their best 11 unavailable as well.

McKennie is projected to be healthy as soon as later this month from a broken bone in his foot. Let's hope he stays that way. I think Gio is back from bad hamstring issues now too- needs to ease back in and stay healthy all summer. Dest should be back in training over the summer. Matt Turner should be back in goal soon and make the move to UK. Not sure about the time tables for Aaronson or Chris Richards, but right now, Miles Robinson looks like the only one in doubt to be ready for Qatar. Ruptured Achilles is devastating for him. Sucks.
RebAg13
AG
wangus12 said:

At this rate we're gonna end up fielding a complete MLS 11 for the World Cup. The young guys in Europe cannot stay healthy
This was an MLS player. Still very bummed.
jeffk
AG
Second Atlanta player to suffer this type of injury on their home turf this spring (Guzan).
Aston94
AG
oh no said:

McKennie is projected to be healthy as soon as later this month from a broken bone in his foot. Let's hope he stays that way. I think Gio is back from bad hamstring issues now too- needs to ease back in and stay healthy all summer. Dest should be back in training over the summer. Matt Turner should be back in goal soon and make the move to UK. Not sure about the time tables for Aaronson or Chris Richards, but right now, Miles Robinson looks like the only one in doubt to be ready for Qatar. Ruptured Achilles is devastating for him. Sucks.

Aaronson is back playing.
Turner is back in goal for NE Revolution
Dest is out for remainder of La Liga season, might be fit for summer matches.
McKinnie is out for remainder of season, might be fit for summer matches
deadbq03
AG
We need a John Brooks renaissance.
akm91
AG
Maybe, maybe not. This is CCV's chance to show his improvement with ball skills. He's always been an athletic defencer but the knock was he didn't fit Berhalter's vision of a CB due to his deficient ball skills.
themissinglink
AG
If Berhalter wants ball skills, Brooks is a glaring omission to the squad.

As a Celtic fan, I'm looking forward to CCV getting his chance in June, but his strength is still very much his defensive abilities. He doesn't make many mistakes on the ball, but it's typically short passes to the RB, LCB, or DM. He's so good defensively that it's hard for me to imagine he is not one of our 4 or 5 best CBs, but I get wanting more from him in the build up.
PJYoung
AG
TamuKid
AG
Heck yeah!!

Here's another article:

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/bayern-munich-youngster-malik-tillman-to-play-for-the-usa-20018
jeffk
AG
Roster manana.

TRM
AG
I wish they would have called in more than 26 players. Get guys together to see who can move up in the pecking order by the end of the year.
aggiephoenix02
I second this wish…
akm91
AG
TRM said:

I wish they would have called in more than 26 players. Get guys together to see who can move up in the pecking order by the end of the year.
Well there are going to be several players that are not called in due to injury or form so we are getting folks in that have realistic shot of moving up the pecking order:

Most likely not called in:
1. Dest (injury)
2. Reyna (injury)
3. Miles (injury)
4. Richards (injury)

Jedi may be having surgery so may not be availalble
Pepi is not called in

That's likely 6 spots for Berhalter to bring in realistic fringe players for evaluation.
PatAg
AG
TRM said:

I think you can expect more new players in the next window of games as well, but I think there needs to be some level of continuity as well. To see how the players mesh with the ones you know are going.
You also want your likely starting rosters to gel together as well as possibly practice some more tactically
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

TRM said:

I think you can expect more new players in the next window of games as well, but I think there needs to be some level of continuity as well. To see how the players mesh with the ones you know are going.
You also want your likely starting rosters to gel together as well as possibly practice some more tactically
I agree. Ggg has mentioned he's going to use this time to practice a back 3 so we have that as a tactical option.

Additionally, the nations league games will have sub limits, so it's not like he can go bananas trying guys out and then rotating.

There's a lot of competing priorities for this window… evaluating some new guys is certainly one of them, but I'd argue it's probably lower on the totem pole than other ones (tactics, teamwork).
TRM
AG
PatAg said:

TRM said:

That's my problem the next window of games isn't until Sept/Oct which really wouldn't be enough time to incorporate anyone.
akm91
AG

Interesting listing Malik as a MF instead of forward.
Bummed no Pomykal nor Paredes in camp.
Pleasant surprise Horvath was called in
Legal Custodian
AG
And McKennie is called in. That's good news on his injury progress.
Legal Custodian
AG
Wouldn't shock me if Reyna is also around to at least go through the film sessions and watch practice.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Haji Wright!!! He's been tearing it up lately. I really hope he gets a long look at the 9
akm91
AG
Legal Custodian said:

And McKennie is called in. That's good news on his injury progress.
Yes. He's resumed training so it's a good sign there's not setback.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Gaga (Not Lady)

Aston94
AG
So no Reyna, Miles Robinson, Dest, all expected due to injury, and no Pepi, needed time for a break, which is good. Pleasantly surprised to see Antonee Robinson listed.

New players we haven't seen much of: Haji Wright, Malik Tillman,Djordje Mihailovic, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Erik Palmer Brown, Joe Scally.
TRM
AG
I would have liked Slonina to be called up to keep Poland away. Lack of 9s stands out too. I guess we're going to see a false 9 quite a bit.
jeffk
AG
GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Nottingham Forest/ENG; 7/0), Zack Steffen (Manchester City/ENG; 29/0), Matt Turner (New England Revolution; 16/0)

DEFENDERS (9): George Bello (Arminia Bielefeld/GER; 6/0), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 24/1), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 8/0), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 23/3), Erik Palmer-Brown (Troyes/FRA; 3/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 25/2), Joe Scally (Borussia Mönchengladbach/GER; 0/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami; 73/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 28/3)

MIDFIELDERS (8): Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 51/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 27/1), Luca de la Torre (Heracles/NED; 7/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 31/9), Djordje Mihailovic (CF Montreal/CAN; 6/1), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 16/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 31/0), Malik Tillman (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0)

FORWARDS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 18/5), Paul Arriola (FC Dallas; 44/9), Jess Ferreira (FC Dallas; 9/3), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 46/10), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 48/21), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 22/2), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 0/0)
jeffk
AG
27 players - WHICH IS MORE THAN 26, JUST WHAT Y'ALL ASKED FOR! YAY!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.