* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,642 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this crest change actually real? Why not go with a complete rainbow kit?
ja86
AG
took a bad crest and made it worse.

If the teams identifies as women, do they get to add stars to the crest also?
fig96
AG
Yeah, I'm super worried about what Iran's state sponsored media's opinion of the US is.
fig96
AG
In a sense I get this because they're trying to make a statement when they can't actually make a statement.

That said, this is their fault in the first place for not voicing a strong opposition to this when it mattered so doing something now just comes off as totally performative. Also, per the article it won't be on our kits.
TXAggie2011
AG
KCup17 said:

It is real. My understanding is it won't be on their jerseys but will just be at some locations like their training facility.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
KCup17 said:

I mean….it couldn't possibly be worse than the current kits….
TXAggie2011
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

KCup17 said:

It will not be on the kits, and everything coming out from US Soccer right now on their website, social media, etc. is using the normal red crest. Players all wearing the normal red crest in training.

Sounds like they're putting it up in places in Qatar for the locals to enjoy as they work or drive by. And really nothig more.
jeffk
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Why does the ussf make it so hard?

We're still doing phrasing, right?
tysker
AG
If the message meant for the people gets exploited and twisted by the state sponsored media, what was the purpose?
Agthatbuilds
TXAggie2011 said:

KCup17 said:

It will not be on the kits, and everything coming out from US Soccer right now on their website, social media, etc. is using the normal red crest. Players all wearing the normal red crest in training.

Sounds like they're putting it up in places in Qatar for the locals to enjoy as they work or drive by. And really nothig more.

Even worse
Rudyjax
AG
Well, my wife scheduled family pictures Monday at 3:15 and my daughter has a game Friday at 4pm.

fig96
AG
The 170ish odd countries that don't have state controlled media?
jeffk
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

KCup17 said:

Everything I've seen on this so far makes it seem like the press room inside the USMNT practice facility in Qatar is the main place the pride badge is featured. So basically it'll be on media videos shot there and that's really about it.
OregonAggie
AG
Sorry if this was already posted but it's a great interview with Jesse Marsch. They cover EPL stuff and also a lot of USMNT talk. Not sure where to post it so I just picked here!

Damn I really like this guy.

TXAggie2011
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

TXAggie2011 said:

KCup17 said:

Even worse

If you're upset about it in the first place, I would think its limited use in Qatar itself would be better, not worse
Agthatbuilds
No, it's worse because the ussf isn't brave enough to put it on their jersey. They arent brave enough to not show up.

It's virtue signaling to the extreme and a half assed attempt of actually doing something.

This tells me they don't care about actually changing anything . They just care about scoring points for their political team.

KCup17
AG
Really looks like they are trying to be "bold" and make a statement but will only place the crest in very low stakes positions. Wish we would sack up like the bundesliga fans and actually do something about it. But alas we live in a bark no bite world.
oh no
AG
tysker
AG
College freshman and sophomore everywhere will be watching their tactics
TRM
jeffk
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

No, it's worse because the ussf isn't brave enough to put it on their jersey. They arent brave enough to not show up.

It's virtue signaling to the extreme and a half assed attempt of actually doing something.

This tells me they don't care about actually changing anything . They just care about scoring points for their political team.

Most of the "virtue signaling" efforts you're seeing right now are coming collectively from the players. They've been pretty vocal about their concerns and wanting to show some solidarity and this is what they've come up with so far. (There might also be some more public displays once the games start, we'll see.)

Could they have been more brave and boycotted the WC entirely? Yeah, of course. But I'm betting that still would be labeled virtue signaling by some. Also, I'm willing to give the players and fans a little grace in showing their displeasure - they've had the biggest event in their professional lives hijacked by the corruption of FIFA and the greed of federations and corporate sponsors who didn't use their influence to demand better.
Rudyjax
AG
I agree with Lloris.

Let the players play.

Agthatbuilds
If there's one thing im consistent about, it's shut up and play (or shut up and build, in my case)

Keep your politics on personal time. Keep your job on job time. Don't hijack an event to express your political views, especially when you are there representing your very diverse country.

If you want to protest, use your celebrity to do so on your own time. Or don't show up.

Kellen Mond was a great example of this. He played hard and repped our school with he best of them. He also participated in political movements on his own time. All good.

At best, usmnt players are sellouts to fifa. At worst, they are cowards only willing to take the absolute smallest of risk to spread a political message.
jeffk
AG
I get that a man has to have a code. But I wonder: do you enjoy watching sports?
jeffk
AG
When do y'all want the first USMNT game thread?
Agthatbuilds
Of course. I like watching sports, not political activists.

Granted, I liked sports a lot more before the huge increase in activism.

That said, the real mood killer for me is VAR and instant replay. Sports was far far far superior before these came about. Its such a microcosm of today's world.
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

You can't dodge the blame by trying to be democratic.

Make it when you want, and we might give you some credit if we win, but we'll definitely blame you if we lose.
jeffk
AG
I would expect nothing less.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

How about Sunday at 4AM?
Rudyjax
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Of course. I like watching sports, not political activists.

Granted, I liked sports a lot more before the huge increase in activism.

That said, the real mood killer for me is VAR and instant replay. Sports was far far far superior before these came about. Its such a microcosm of today's world.
I couldn't care about the activism, but I tend to agree with VAR and replay.

My thing is, they take way too long, and they are not always correct.

If you can't tell watching it a couple of times in real time, then the play stands.

Move along.
jeffk
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

How about Sunday at 4AM?

How about no?
Agthatbuilds
Anyway......

Who is winning this thing?

Went through the rosters of the big teams and I feel.....old.
oh no
AG

2022 World Cup odds

Brazil +400
France +600
Argentina +650
England +700
Spain +800
Germany +1000
Belgium +1200
Netherlands +1200
Portugal +1200
Denmark +2800
Croatia +5000
Uruguay +5000
Senegal +8000
Switzerland +8000
Mexico +10000
USA +10000
Poland +10000
Serbia +10000
Wales +10000
Ghana +15000
Ecuador +15000
Morocco +20000
Cameroon +25000
Canada +25000
Japan +25000
Qatar +25000
South Korea +25000
Tunisia +30000
Australia +40000
Costa Rica +50000
Iran +50000
Saudi Arabia +50000
oh no
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Anyway......

Who is winning this thing?

Went through the rosters of the big teams and I feel.....old.
I would have picked Italy. But they aren't making the trip.
KCup17
AG
I don't think any of the top 5 favorites are winning it.

Obligatory we are gonna shock the world!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.