* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,667 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
AgGrad99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's frustrating, for people who actually follow this sport.

The casual fan will just come away with, 'dang, the USA sucks at soccer'. I'm hoping we can get as close to full strength as possible for the fall, and show the progress we've made.

jeffk
AG
Do y'all want game threads for our USMNT fixtures this summer or can we just use this thread for all of that?
TRM
AG
Separate game threads or at least separate the Nations League games from the friendlies.
AgGrad99
AG
Posting the schedule here would be helpful though.
AgGrad99
AG
jeffk
AG
Schedule was already on the previous page, but here it is again.

jeffk said:

Summer game schedule:

AgGrad99
AG
Gracias. I guess I missed it.
jeffk
AG
de nada!
PatAg
AG
Normally separate game threads, but maybe we can just do a thread for this window of games?
jeffk
AG
akm91
AG
That's a bit disappointing but not unexpected with Long starting next to Zimmerman. I would've rather have seen EPB start.

Not surprised Scally won't start against Morocco but hope he gets some minutes against either Morocco or Uruguay to see if he can really contribute at the WC.

I'm hoping we see Aaronson start in the midfield with Musah and Adams, given McKennie isn't going to play more than 20 min.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
akm91
AG
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

Do y'all want game threads for our USMNT fixtures this summer or can we just use this thread for all of that?
You know what you have to do.
Aston94
AG
So my guess at how we will start tomorrow night given those revelations:

Pulisic-------Ferreira-------Weah

Aaronson-----Adams------Musah

Jedi----Long---Zimmerman----Yedlin

----------------Turner---------------
ChipFTAC01
AG
Thought Jedi got hurt at the end of the season?
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

This ain't no stroll through a summer of friendlies type of year! This is a WC year!!!!

We ALL need to be on our games, ready to serve, and get this team to the promised land that is a WC Title!!!!

Time to step up jeffk and do your part!!!!!
Aston94
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

He has been in camp
ChipFTAC01
PatAg
AG
akm91 said:

we tried Aaronson centrally already, and it wasnt good
deadbq03
AG
Who picks the times for these games? Morocco is the Goldilocks of the window… everything else is either way too late or way too early.

ETA: I know it's driven by TV. Just lamenting that USMNT isn't popular enough to always get prime time.
Bryan98
AG
deadbq03 said:

Who picks the times for these games? Morocco is the Goldilocks of the window… everything else is either way too late or way too early.

ETA: I know it's driven by TV. Just lamenting that USMNT isn't popular enough to always get prime time.
We used all our karma getting watchable game times for the actual World Cup.
jeffk
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

MILES Robinson is out for a while with an achilles injury.
akm91
AG
There was talk of Jedi getting knee surgery at the end of the season so wasn't sure if he was even going to be in camp.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

MILES Robinson is out for a while with an achilles injury.

Doh
jeffk
AG
I don't think I've seen anything about Jedi needing knee surgery. He had the heart thing a good while back, but I can't find anything about his knee. Maybe my googling is bad though.
akm91
AG
Potential need for knee surgery

Heard it on a couple of podcasts so that's how I remember he was supposedly looking at surgery after the season.
Aston94
AG

Aston94
AG
WC playoff game tomorrow as Scotland hosts Ukraine. Match is at 1:45 Central on ESPN2.

Winner plays Wales for final Euro spot in WC, and will play USMNT in pool play.
PJYoung
AG
https://theathletic.com/3342477/2022/05/31/matt-turner-usmnt-arsenal/

Quote:

The U.S. men's national team and soon-to-be Arsenal goalkeeper didn't begin playing soccer until he was 14, going out for his high school squad simply so he could stay in shape for his main athletic pursuits of basketball and baseball. He only hopped in goal because the team's one other 'keeper got hurt on the first day of freshman tryouts. He was barely recruited to play in college, where his most notable moment was a colossal, viral mistake. He wasn't drafted out of Fairfield University in 2016, but he made the New England Revolution roster after impressing as a preseason trialist, walking away from a more lucrative job he'd lined up in the business world to sign with the club. When he finally got a chance to play in MLS after three years spent mostly as a No. 3, he thrived, turning heads in 2018 and starring in 2019 and 2020 before being named the league's goalkeeper of the year in 2021.

Quote:

Early in the evening of Tuesday, Aug. 31, Turner, who was in Nashville with the USMNT, got a call from his then-fiancee Ashley Herron. She had made the short trip from Boston to see Turner and the Revs play at New York City FC the previous weekend, but arrived back in Massachusetts on Monday feeling a little bit off. A trip to the doctor on Tuesday brought some awful news: She had suffered a miscarriage. Herron was about 10 weeks into her pregnancy.

"I thought to myself that I needed to go home to be with her," Turner told The Athletic. "I couldn't imagine the fact that she was going through this alone. She was in the doctor's office alone, she had the miscarriage alone and I wanted to be there for her. I just love her so much, and I wanted to help her, to just help ease the pain any way I could."

First thing on Wednesday morning, hours before the U.S. was scheduled to fly from Tennessee to El Salvador for the match the following night, Turner made his way downstairs at the team hotel to tell Berhalter he needed to leave camp. He ended up bumping into him immediately after he stepped off the elevator. Before Turner could get a word out, the head coach hit him with some news of his own.

"He looks at me and says, 'Hey Matty, Zack has back spasms, he can't go. You're playing tomorrow,'" Turner said.

Turner barely remembers how he responded to Berhalter some platitude about being ready. Internally, he was a mess, standing in the elevator bank "like a deer in headlights, trying to choke back tears."

"I just pretty much sank away," he said. "Imagine Homer Simpson sinking back into the bushes. I just sink back into the elevator to go right back upstairs to call Ashley. I tell her what happened and she just, thank God for her, really, because she just said, 'You have to stay. I'll never let you miss that.'"
jeffk
AG
Wow. That's heavy stuff.
jeffk
AG
Interesting. So I guess surgery just wasn't needed?
deadbq03
AG
Thanks for sharing. I didn't know any of his backstory. Makes sense now why he's not the best with the ball at his feet, but man, truly amazing that he has risen to such a high level. Wish him all the best.
akm91
AG
I guess not. There's not been any updates about it. Wish one of the journalists would ask that question.
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

Interesting. So I guess surgery just wasn't needed?
From what I understand, it is just clean up of the knee, he is going to have it done after USMNT camp and will be good to go by preseason. I heard that on a podcast I believe (Maybe Scuffed?)
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
1:45 pm today on ESPN2: Ukraine v. Scotland. Winner gets Wales for the last spot in USA's group.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.