* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,664 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Aston94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really thought at some point the collective first world countries would stand up to the clear human rights abuses by the Qataris and call for FIFA to move this World Cup. But unfortunately we all need Qatar oil more than we need worker civil rights.

Players are going to be questioned about this relentlessly through the tournament and some are going to demand they make a stand. But they had as much to do with this mess as we as fans did, and I will be just as guilty of condoning the atrocities as they are when I watch a match.

Hopefully FIFA will not get bought again by a bid, and many involved have lost their positions of power, but Qatari leaders are still benefiting from their bribery and their inhumane treatment of the workers.
Dre_00
Aston94 said:

But they had as much to do with this mess as we as fans did, and I will be just as guilty of condoning the atrocities as they are when I watch a match.

I touched on this but you said it much more directly which I think is important. All of us will be complicit to a degree when we watch a match. Not saying that everyone's ire should be primarily directed towards fans. But you, or I, or anyone else who watches is playing a small part in this. And I say that as someone who plans on watching. Not pointing fingers at anyone. Or if I am, I'm also pointing it towards myself.
jeffk
AG
I certainly do think that all us fans who are tuning in to the WC are complicit to a degree and I'd say the players are as well, but I think it's good to keep the proper perspective about who's to blame for the Qatari regime "winning" the bid and then abusing the rights of thousands of workers to create the venues for the games.

I know that many also reflexively recoil at athletes making political statements because that's not what we prefer to see when we turn a game on, but they've basically had the pinnacle of their professional sport career hijacked, so I'll give them a bit of grace if they choose to express their displeasure. Everyone expresses their moral choices outwardly to varying degrees (virtue signaling if you want), but not all of us have the same audience. If I decided not to watch the WC out of protest, maybe a handful of people will ever know about it. A player could opt out of the competition, but for a large percentage of them, they'd be ending their professional international careers by doing so. So again, I'm not going to think poorly of them for releasing a statement about their feelings. Is it meaningful? Does it matter? Does it impact the WC or FIFA or their federation? Time will tell.
deadbq03
AG
Well said and I agree 100%.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker
AG
Pictures from the 2020 WC in South Africa: http://archive.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/06/opening_weekend_-_2010_world_c.html

I'm not sure it fair to say all the similar viewers and participants be complicit for this WC, including the African villagers and Costa Rican schoolchildren?

I think its great we are having these conversations and hopefully people do take notice but these changes take generations. In some ways, FIFA may have shot itself in the foot with this WC, putting the world on notice that it doesn't consider those types of human rights violations to be on level anti-racism campaigns while also punishing players for overtly political speech (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/23/xhaka-and-shaqiri-goal-celebrations-bring-balkan-politics-to-world-cup).
young eugene
AG
Here's another protest I am interested to see play out.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12717650/england-captain-harry-kane-will-wear-onelove-armband-at-qatar-world-cup-even-if-fifa-prohibits-it
tysker
AG
young eugene said:

Here's another protest I am interested to see play out.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12717650/england-captain-harry-kane-will-wear-onelove-armband-at-qatar-world-cup-even-if-fifa-prohibits-it
Can you be issued yellow cards for wearing prohibited uniforms?
jeffk
AG
If they violate the laws of the game, yes.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Aston94
AG
Not good timing for Luca, he wasn't getting much PT as it was, and now will likely miss the WC.
akm91
AG
Looks like he'll be out for 3 weeks but back in time for WC, according to his manager.

Quote:

Celta said De la Torre has a muscle tear in his left leg. However, Celta coach Eduardo Coudet said he was confident that his player would be fit in time for the World Cup.
LDLT Out 3 weeks
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
tysker
AG
opens up a spot for Roldan /ducks
Aston94
AG
tysker said:

opens up a spot for Roldan /ducks
PatAg
AG
Not ideal, could possibly force Gregg's hand in altering tactics (if he wasnt planning on doing it already)
akm91
AG
Play Gio centrally! Just kidding. That would seem like something Klinsmann would do heading into the Wales match.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
PatAg
AG
akm91 said:

Play Gio centrally! Just kidding. That would seem like something Klinsmann would do heading into the Wales match.
I would have loved for him to be healthy enough to actually have the team get reps in with it the last couple years, becuase I think thats where he should play.
Dre_00
jeffk said:

If they violate the laws of the game, yes.

Does it violate the laws of the game or violate laws of Qatar? (Genuine question). It's been worn before which would suggest it doesn't violate the laws of the game.

That could be an interesting development though. Imagine if Kane wore it and got carded for it. Then refused to take it off and got sent off for it.

jeffk
AG
I sort of expect to see an updated or amended laws of the game just prior to the WC to address something like this. Currently, Kane wouldn't be violating any rule by wearing the armband.
Rudyjax
AG
We found JeffK

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR9fmdn2/
DeangeloVickers
AG
Everytime I watch Fulham and Tim Ream, I don't understand how he can't play for USMNT but starts and captains a top half Premier League squad
PatAg
AG
Did you feel that way when they were a championship side?
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatAg said:

Did you delete that way when they were a championship side?

Have you watched him play for Fulham. Runs length of pitch. Passes. Great first touch. Pings it all over field.
PatAg
AG
I think , given the fact that we often don't actually play a high line, AND our top 2 CBs for that play style are hurt, we should absolutely consider starting ream at cb and playing a deeper line
Don't know if ggg is capable of actually altering his tactics, he seems too stubborn or maybe prideful for it or he would have already done it
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

I think , given the fact that we often don't actually play a high line, AND our top 2 CBs for that play style are hurt, we should absolutely consider starting ream at cb and playing a deeper line
Don't know if ggg is capable of actually altering his tactics, he seems too stubborn or maybe prideful for it or he would have already done it

He has a system. You have to play his system.
PatAg
AG
Or else!
Rudyjax
AG
Or you don't play like Ream and Pefok.
deadbq03
AG
A friend of mine is a long-time Fulham fan and he's convinced Ream would be a liability for the USMNT.

And I've agreed with him until this last window. Now at the very least, I think he deserves a call up to provide quality depth.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

A friend of mine is a long-time Fulham fan and he's convinced Ream would be a liability for the USMNT.

And I've agreed with him until this last window. Now at the very least, I think he deserves a call up to provide quality depth.

How long has he been playing w/against the guys from Wales/England? He's the definition of a veteran leader on the youngest team in the World Cup.
jeffk
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

We found JeffK

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR9fmdn2/

Lol. That looks like a mall in SLC.
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

akm91 said:

I would have loved for him to be healthy enough to actually have the team get reps in with it the last couple years, becuase I think thats where he should play.
Seconded.
jeffk
AG
Wheeee!

DeangeloVickers
AG
There will be more with how they are packing these games in.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, Saka injury didn't look good this morning either.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Wheeee!

McKennie has made it a habit of being recovered quicker than predictions, would be nice for him to get back healthy in time to get a couple games in

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.