* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,652 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Thrilled we get this for another game...or two.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
That looks unnatural, some uncanny valley type of ****
Bryan98
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

That looks unnatural, some uncanny valley type of ****

I agree. It's TERRIBLE.

...tell my wife I said that!
oragator
More good press for Qatar. Brib8ng EU officials, allegedly. Hope fifa is happy

https://news.yahoo.com/eu-parliaments-credibility-rocked-qatar-123414535.html
jeffk
AG
Mathguy64
AG
While I fully admit get the IRI is full on totalitarian and they have massive internal issues now, I can't see this happening. If they do, FIFA would immediately expel them, the IOC would expel them, every other international sporting group would expel them and even the UN would impose sanctions. Most importantly that would actually have a decent chance of making a full on uprising in Iran and they have all they can handle now.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I don't know how much stock to put into the "reports" either. They could be legit, they could be legit in reporting that the govt has made that threat to the player, or they could be deadass wrong. Hoping for the third option, but these players definitely aren't going home to medium-stakes arguments about effort and playing time.
Rudyjax
AG
When killing and protesting have the same penalty, there's nothing left to stop you from killing.
deadbq03
AG
I think he should respect the laws of his country and not try to impose 3000 years of European cultural domination in his country. /infantino
Rudyjax
AG
So, whenever I see people say extreme athletic people can't play soccer, I bring up Mbappe.

This is crazy. But look where CP10 is.

gougler08
AG
You can also see why France is so good, Giroud, Griezman, Dembele are all at near the best
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
I don't think anyone says extremely athletic people can't play soccer, just that being extremely athletic doesn't automatically mean that you will be good at soccer.
Mathguy64
AG
The fact that Pulisic is next to Neymar and Messi in that chart makes it laughable.
oh no
AG
Usain Bolt tried to play soccer and wasn't going to just slide right into Dortmund's squad. He got some publicity trials in some of Europe's top clubs then failed to make a team in Australia or something. ...but it wasn't because he's too athletic. Had he been developing soccer skills from a young age, he's be amazing at soccer. Soccer touch on the ball, turns, change of speed moves, change of direction moves, decision making and problem solving quickly, etc. requires a lifetime of development that only comes from training and playing a lot of soccer. The most athletic humans on earth can't just pick it up and be good quickly.

Far different than say, American football, where robots are programmed what to do, when, and how and just being athletic means you can be good at football. You see basketball players move over to football as 11th graders and end up in the NFL in 5 years. Not possible with soccer.
Rudyjax
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I don't think anyone says extremely athletic people can't play soccer, just that being extremely athletic doesn't automatically mean that you will be good at soccer.

Dude you see it all the time.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The fact that Pulisic is next to Neymar and Messi in that chart makes it laughable.

Why?
akm91
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The proximity is probably due to more of a function of how CP10 is the focal point of the USMNT under Berhalter; an over reliance on CP10 in our attack.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Mathguy64
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Mathguy64 said:

Why?
Because he's not in the same class of player as Messi or Neymar.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

Mathguy64 said:

Why?
Because he's not in the same class of player as Messi or Neymar.
No one said he was. But his numbers per 90 in those categories were similar.

deadbq03
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Really? The only thing remotely similar that I've ever seen is when people say that tall guys like Lebron would fail. Which is absolutely true.

No one over 6'6" is going to have the stamina to run the distances involved in a soccer game.
fig96
AG
I'm curious who our unlabeled player in the middle between Eriksen and Jin-Su is. Adams maybe?
Rudyjax
AG
Someone on twitter said McKennie.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
deadbq03 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Really? The only thing remotely similar that I've ever seen is when people say that tall guys like Lebron would fail. Which is absolutely true.

No one over 6'6" is going to have the stamina to run the distances involved in a soccer game.

Haaland and Zlatan are both 6'5" and Peter Crouch is 6'7". I'm sure lebron could have been very good at soccer had he spent his whole life playing soccer instead of basketball. Many tall NBA players have very good stamina, it's all about training for a certain type of activity. Being tall doesn't prevent you from developing strong stamina.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I have really never seen or heard that. Do you have any examples of anyone saying that?
Rudyjax
AG
Next time I see one I'll comment here.

Rudyjax
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

deadbq03 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Haaland and Zlatan are both 6'5" and Peter Crouch is 6'7". I'm sure lebron could have been very good at soccer had he spent his whole life playing soccer instead of basketball. Many tall NBA players have very good stamina, it's all about training for a certain type of activity. Being tall doesn't prevent you from developing strong stamina.

And they would have a different body type from playing a different sport.

It's a fact the majority of our best athletes do not play the game.

I always compare Jalen Waddle and Mbappe. They're the same height but Jalen is heavier since he plays football.

The problem most people have is they don't understand the body types would change if they were playing a different sport.
deadbq03
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

deadbq03 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Exceptions are exceptional. I'll rephrase… Extreme height in either direction is absolutely sub-optimal for both stamina and top speed.
deadbq03
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

deadbq03 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

And they would have a different body type from playing a different sport.

It's a fact the majority of our best athletes do not play the game.

I always compare Jalen Waddle and Mbappe. They're the same height but Jalen is heavier since he plays football.

The problem most people have is they don't understand the body types would change if they were playing a different sport.
I get you on body type, and agree with you… there definitely are some folks who make the argument that athletes in US sports are too swole to play soccer. I wouldn't call that an argument about athleticism, but I guess it's probably synonymous in some contexts. And you're right, if they trained differently, they wouldn't be hampered by the extra weight.

But extreme height is a physical restriction. Full stop.
aggiephoenix02
deadbq03 said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

deadbq03 said:

Chuck Cunningham said:

THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Exceptions are exceptional. I'll rephrase… Extreme height in either direction is absolutely sub-optimal for both stamina and top speed.
Usain Bolt is 6-5…
deadbq03
AG
And not 6'8".
aggiephoenix02
Oh, I see now… you're right.
PatAg
AG
I just think its a lazy argument because we arent struggling do to a lack of athleticism.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

I just think its a lazy argument because we arent struggling do to a lack of athleticism.
Our 13 top players were as good or as equal to most of the teams in the World cup. The difference is that 14-26 are not. Our training is catching up with the rest of the world. If we have more playing the game, we'd have a bigger pool of players good enough to play international soccer at a higher level.
Jet Black
They need to get rid of the 3rd place game.
jeffk
AG
Jet Black said:

They need to get rid of the 3rd place game.

Counterpoint: it's typically one of the best, most fun games of the whole tournament.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.