* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,656 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Love Ream and Haji Wright in.

Only one that makes me cringe is Jordan Morris. But MLS man picking Mr. MLS shouldn't surprise
KCup17
AG
Pepi has found form recently. Been scoring and assisting in the last month. Not too surprised by Morris as I heard Arriola picked up an injury recently. Leaving Pefok doesn't surprise me at all. We don't even provide service to our forwards so when would we bring one who only scores headers
PatAg
AG
Ultimately, im excited for this World Cup to get going and see what are young team does. The full team has rarely been able to do its thing together, and should be able to easily put those 2 bad games out of their head. I have a suspicion that Gregg is going to alter this tactics slightly
KCup17
AG
It's not a bad situation for the team either. You're young so their aren't big expectations surrounding the squad. If you don't make it out the group then great GGG is gone and we can hire someone to prep for '26. If you make it out the group great even better we still can push on and have bigger expectations for '26
Aston94
AG
Morris makes zero sense to me, and neither does Roldan, but they are players 25 and 26 on a 26 man roster, I doubt they even dress.

Let's go!!!!
akm91
AG
I think there is injury concern with regards to Pepi as the reason why he's not on the roster.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie
AG
KCup17 said:

It's not a bad situation for the team either. You're young so their aren't big expectations surrounding the squad. If you don't make it out the group then great GGG is gone and we can hire someone to prep for '26. If you make it out the group great even better we still can push on and have bigger expectations for '26

It's a catch 22: I hate Berhalter so I don't want us to win BUT I love the USMNT so I want us to win.

Either way we're out at the round of 16 because no damn way we can beat Senegal or Netherlands!

If GgG gets us out of the group then he deserves to keep his job for sure. I just hope the next 4 years has us jammed with some experienced players that can fit his system.
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17
AG
I echo your sentiments about GGG. I don't think he will get the most out of this squad and it would be a real waste to not make a change before the '26 WC.

I think we can surprise Senegal in the R16.
TRM
AG
OregonAggie said:

KCup17 said:

It's a catch 22: I hate Berhalter so I don't want us to win BUT I love the USMNT so I want us to win.

Either way we're out at the round of 16 because no damn way we can beat Senegal or Netherlands!

If GgG gets us out of the group then he deserves to keep his job for sure. I just hope the next 4 years has us jammed with some experienced players that can fit his system.
Don't care if he gets us out of the group or not, we need to move on. A good coach would adapt his system to fit the talent pool in the cycle and GGG isn't that.
AgGrad99
AG
Agreed. I've seen a lot of former US players saying the same thing.

Being an Intl coach is different than a club coach. Don't force a new system, but work with the pieces you have. You can't just get a player on loan from Brazil.
deadbq03
AG
KCup17 said:

Pepi has found form recently. Been scoring and assisting in the last month. Not too surprised by Morris as I heard Arriola picked up an injury recently. Leaving Pefok doesn't surprise me at all. We don't even provide service to our forwards so when would we bring one who only scores headers
Pepi is scoring, but outside of the top 3 or 4 teams who are light years ahead of the pack, Eredivisie is worse than MLS. So he's basically scoring against sub-MLS opposition in the vast majority of his games. I think that perspective is important. He failed as a Bundesliga striker (admittedly on a crap team).

That said, he is doing really well and Fab Romano has come out and said he's drawing serious transfer interest around Europe.
OregonAggie
AG
TRM said:

OregonAggie said:

KCup17 said:

Don't care if he gets us out of the group or not, we need to move on. A good coach would adapt his system to fit the talent pool in the cycle and GGG isn't that.

I agree with this but my post is also based on the reality that he'll keep his job if we get through the group stages…which I don't think we will honestly. Our lack of striker options and also the huge hole we have at CB leaves me with no confidence.

If we don't at least get a point from game 1 vs Wales, we're done IMO.
deadbq03
AG
I think we've got a good shot to make it out of group…

But sadly, I agree with you that means we're stuck with more ggg.

I can't find it right now, but I read an opinion piece recently that made the case that international teams should replace their coach every WC cycle - regardless of outcome.
boogieman
AG
Classy.
Shame he couldn't make the roster.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Would've loved to see him over Morris. Suck.
OregonAggie
AG
I like Arriola. Decent player but damn he works hard. I think Morris does too but I'd take Paul over him any day, especially since he's a little more versatile.
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

I like Arriola. Decent player but damn he works hard. I think Morris does too but I'd take Paul over him any day, especially since he's a little more versatile.
Paulie Nips, rest in peace
carl spacklers hat
PatAg said:

Maybe this ends up actually being pretty cool, but this seems like a nightmare scenario on the surface

Positive would be close proximity to a lot of other fans?
$200/night to stay in a mobile mini camp and sit on bean bags to watch a WC match? That's about the best summation for what a clown show it is that Qatar is hosting the WC to begin with.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Thunder18
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

PatAg said:

Maybe this ends up actually being pretty cool, but this seems like a nightmare scenario on the surface

Positive would be close proximity to a lot of other fans?
$200/night to stay in a mobile mini camp and sit on bean bags to watch a WC match? That's about the best summation for what a clown show it is that Qatar is hosting the WC to begin with.

Looks like Fyrefest 2.0
Pahdz
exactly what I thought, can't wait to see the box lunches!
carl spacklers hat
Pahdz said:

Morris over Arriola at all is confusing
FIFY
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
oh no
AG
oh no
AG
oh no
AG
Rudyjax
AG
I've decided that it really doesn't matter who is at the bottom of the roster.

Apparently Roldan is very respected by the team, like another coach. With a team as young as this, it's not a bad idea bringing in a veteran that can provide leadership.

oh no
AG
Pretty damn strong roster

Just bring it vs Wales and Iran

tysker
AG
oh no said:

Such a cool story. Never seen that own goal. Brutal.
Comment sections are the worst
tysker
AG
Thunder18 said:

Looks like Fyrefest 2.0
Fyre Fest at least had some hot chicks. This?
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

Thunder18 said:

Looks like Fyrefest 2.0
Fyre Fest at least had some hot chicks. This?

Do they require women to cover their hair? I mean, we don't want rapes.
PatAg
AG
carl spacklers hat
oh no said:

Pretty damn strong roster

Just bring it vs Wales and Iran

So I guess Harry Maguire is to England football as Jordan Morris is to US? He keeps making the squad and everyone else is yelling WTF!?! That's a pretty salty lineup for the 3 Lions, though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.