* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,632 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
tysker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Ream has been dreadful for the yanks. I like Richards and think Cannon is okay.

Do you take an in form player that captain's an EPL or guys that cant even make the bench and haven't played significant minutes all season?
mrmill3218
AG
Yeah it is strange how good he is for Fulham and how bad he is for the yanks.
mrmill3218
AG
I would take Ream over Cannon. Richards has been injured so that's not really fair. Cannon is also a fullback so I'm not sure why he's in the mix.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Best guess is what is around him. I mean his spacing, passing, and defense were on point today. There is no reason a starting EPL player shouldn't be on the roster..style be damned.

Nonsensical
mrmill3218
AG
I agree that a starting EPL player should be on the team over a bad MLS player.

The only thing I'm looking forward to about this World Cup is that it's the last we'll see of 3G.
DeangeloVickers
AG

That's a better resume than anyone else right now. He's looked like ass lately for USMNT, but these club stats need to count.
jeffk
AG
He's given up a couple of really bad goals in that stretch vs fair to mid Championship competition. I'm glad he's getting minutes but he's not the clear top keeper choice for me currently.
fig96
AG
Same. Turner has been lights out for us in goal, and while he hasn't played a ton recently he's been very good when he has. He's done nothing to lose the job at this point.
OregonAggie
AG
I only want to see Steffen if Turner starts playing poorly. He's been great in goal for the US and deserves to keep his spot IMO.
Dre_00
I haven't been able to watch a great many USMNT games but my over simplistic and probably wrong analysis is that Turner is the better shot stopper but Steffen is the better distributor (at the moment anyway).

If so, I'd say you have to start Turner. Given the stage and recent performances, I think we're going to want our best shot stopper starting as we likely won't be retaining much of the ball.
tysker
AG
With group stage games facing players like Bale, James, Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Rashford I would think having a pure shot stopper would be more advantageous than a guy that's slightly better playing from the back.

If either Wales of England score early, you can imagine they'll sit back and absorb pressure. Best to make more sure they don't score early.
jeffk
AG
People overstate Turner's difficulties in distribution. He's fine.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

I've seen Steffan make way more boneheaded passes and bad touches than Turner.

I actually think Turner is better. But that's just me I guess.
Rudyjax
AG
tysker said:

With group stage games facing players like Bale, James, Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Rashford I would think having a pure shot stopper would be more advantageous than a guy that's slightly better playing from the back.

If either Wales of England score early, you can imagine they'll sit back and absorb pressure. Best to make more sure they don't score early.
Mount. You forgot about Mason Mount.
OregonAggie
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

Steffen looked great playing out the back here

Rudyjax
AG
"Another Wembley nightmare."

"History repeating itself."

Rudyjax
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
DeangeloVickers
AG
aggiephoenix02
Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

I agree 100%…
DeangeloVickers
AG
jeffk
AG
akm91
AG
Would be a huge mistake not to invite Vasquez and start getting him involved for next cycle.
jeffk
AG
Well, we never make huge mistakes in player selection, so I'm sure we'll do that.
Aston94
AG
Mihailovic better be added.... so help me if we take Roldan to the WC and leave behind Mihailovic.
Rudyjax
AG
Pulisic, IS STARTING today!
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

Mihailovic better be added.... so help me if we take Roldan to the WC and leave behind Mihailovic.
EEspecially since he was in such good form before his injury, and looking to move to Europe. he seems to have regained that form, and deserves a chance to test himself again at the next level
oh no
AG
In addition to Pulisic earlier, Weston, Gio, and CCV all starting in Champions League right now
carl spacklers hat
Got the assist on the game winner, no?
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
oh no
AG
it was a nice assist. took a few touches before finding havertz. Havertz shot was incredible.

edit; Pulisic also mishandled a golden opportunity later and was immediately subbed off.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

it was a nice assist. took a few touches before finding havertz. Havertz shot was incredible.

edit; Pulisic also mishandled a golden opportunity later and was immediately subbed off.

He was already going off at that time…

That being said, his assist was because he drew 3 defenders and put it right on Havertz. Great finish though.
Rudyjax
AG
20 year old Jonathan Tompkinson from Solar, FCD is getting his first start for Norwich today.
PatAg
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

That's a better resume than anyone else right now. He's looked like ass lately for USMNT, but these club stats need to count.
Did you watch any of the games?
JJxvi
AG
No complaints about Pulisic being played at wingback?
Rudyjax
AG
JJxvi said:

No complaints about Pulisic being played at wingback?

He wasn't playing wingback. He was all over the pitch and very high.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.