* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,658 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Denmark Protest kits

It's an interesting idea... but wouldn't the best form of protest to be to boycott the WC?
schmendeler
AG
Who writes an article like that and doesn't include a picture of the uniforms in question? They might show them in the video that was playing but not gonna watch it hoping they do. Just stupid.
DeangeloVickers
AG
KCup17 said:

Denmark Protest kits

It's an interesting idea... but wouldn't the best form of protest to be to boycott the WC?

Totally agree. They are gonna cash their checks, stay in nice hotels, play in the lavish stadiums....and then play in these kits. Wow bravery.

Reminds me of the USWNT
jeffk
AG
KCup17 said:

Denmark Protest kits

A full boycott would absolutely be the best protest, but that doesn't by rule mean that any lesser protest is meaningless.

I would have loved for the USSF and other national federations to say "nope, not playing in Qatar. We're going to hold our own alternative tournament somewhere else" but that didn't happen. Because of that inaction it's pretty much on the players or fans to show their displeasure with the arrangement. Both could refuse to participate altogether - players opting out and fans refusing to watch or attend games. That's a tough decision for the players to make as you'd most likely burn a bridge permanently with your team and possibly your countrymen and teammates.

This particular gesture would be a lot more powerful if Hummel was donating the revenue from jersey sales to some related charity or aid organization. I haven't seen that they're doing that anywhere.

Edit - here's a picture of the red kits.

jeffk
AG
Some good news:
akm91
AG
Bubble wrap please!
KCup17
AG
schmendeler said:

Who writes an article like that and doesn't include a picture of the uniforms in question? They might show them in the video that was playing but not gonna watch it hoping they do. Just stupid.
Apologies. For some reason I thought the kits were in the article. Here are all 3 kits Hummel made.
https://instagr.am/p/CjDEvi3KxVm

Edit: And these kits are still better than the crap nike put out.
jeffk
AG
Interesting graphic here on EPL midfielder play. Before you examine it closely, try to predict which quadrant you think Tyler Adams is going to be found it.

deadbq03
AG
If you played this game last year I would've said upper left, hands down, and on the left side of upper left at that.

I'm gonna guess the left side of upper right. I know he's been working on getting more progressive over the past 6 months, but I haven't watched Leeds much so I honestly don't know.
deadbq03
AG
Close. I'll take it.
Dre_00
Shocked to see Xhaka's placement on this.
akm91
AG
Love De Bruyne's placement on this chart.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

But not McTominay though?
Hey...so.. um
Not bad company for adams. Rice and bentancur
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

Dre_00 said:

But not McTominay though?
If there were a best fit line on this scatter plot, it would run from upper left to lower right and half the players would be on one side and half on the other. Such a line would basically indicate who's average in overall productivity and folks above the line would be above average and below are below average.

Spitballing here, that line runs from somewhere near Onana through Henderson (or maybe Nunez), and just below KdB.

Xhaka would be below average, according to such a measure. Depending on where it is, he actually might be about as below average as McTominay.

Of course, such a line assumes that those defensive metrics are equal to the offensive metrics, and obviously that's not true. Depending on tactics/position and game situation one set will be more important than the other. But I'm a stats nerd and I want to be able to say Adams is about as productive as KdB, because if a best-fit line were there, he would be, so that's the way I'm going to read this.
jeffk
AG
I ran across this chart on a LFC account which pointed out that the three midfielders from the team that were listed were all three in the lower right quadrant... which explains a bit why we've amassed a huge amount of xG so far this season and also given up some pretty bad goals. You expect to Harvey the Wonder Child way over there to the right, but you'd expect to see at least one of Fabinho or Hendo further over to the left (defensive-oriented). Thiago being out a good bit already this season and a lack of positional discipline from the other guys has really been tough to overcome.
Dre_00
Scott will be so sad once Bournemouth and Jefferson Lerma go down.

I'm also wondering where Eriksen would place on this. I'm not sure why he isn't on here. Guessing because he's being counted as an attacking mid even though he's played almost exclusively as a center mid.
deadbq03
AG
I think you meant up, not left. The two tend to go hand in hand, but you don't want anyone to be in the bottom left, regardless of role. Theoretically, you'd want midfielders to be upper-right guys who are good at both things.

But your point is an example of where these kinds of stats can be very misleading. City also has KdB and Gundogan and Rodri in the lower right quad… that doesn't mean you can draw the same conclusion about them.

If a team is dominating possession and other teams are just sitting back and not attacking, it's no surprise that their midfielders won't have as many defensive stats… their defenders won't have as many either! Similarly the GKs with the most saves usually aren't the best GKs in the league, they're just on bad teams so they face tons of shots. Raw stats are awfully misleading, but they're easy to tabulate and understand. Seeing interception and tackle rates (successful vs attempted) would be much more meaningful for comparing between players whose contexts are so different. A 6 on Leeds is going to have a lot more opportunities for defensive activity than a 6 for LFC… the rates would help us see who's better when those situations arise.

All that said, I'm not necessarily saying these are misleading for LFC… an LFC crowd would certainly be justified to use these stats to discuss defensive woes that they've witnessed firsthand.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, left as in moving along your "best fit line" to the left (and up).

And interestingly, LFC and City have both allowed the same number of GA from similar xGA. They both dominate possession and force opponents to try to counter or beat them on set-pieces. LFC underperforming on their xG like they're doing is really the story of their season so far.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the WC thread with EPL talk.
Dre_00
In fairness, the graph does have a disclaimer at the bottom left..."Team and player style is as important as ability in these visuals"

But I do agree with pretty much everything you've said. Like any other metric/report/analysis, it paints part of the picture but is never the silver bullet that explains it all.
deadbq03
AG
Yeah I saw that too. After my Adams love fest yesterday I needed to remind myself that these stats kinda suck.
jeffk
AG
deadbq03 said:

After my Adams love fest yesterday I needed to remind myself that these stats kinda suck.

They're stats. Taken out of context and removed from any other information (watching the players actually play), they could be pretty misleading. Used rightly, they can be pretty helpful in adding understanding to what results the teams are producing.
PatAg
AG
Dre_00
Pulisic with an assist on Chelea's game winning goal in the 90th minute. Good run to drive inside from wide. Laid off for Gallagher who scored a banger.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Pulisic with an assist on Chelea's game winning goal in the 90th minute. Good run to drive inside from wide. Laid off for Gallagher who scored a banger.

He looked good in his short stint. Hopefully it leads to more playing time.
Aston94
AG

Unfortunately this is more accurate than we would like to admit.
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

He looked good in his short stint. Hopefully it leads to more playing time.
Not sure of the veracity of it, but he only played 8 minutes because he returned to the team later than the euros.

akm91
AG
Sargent with assist today so far.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie
AG
Wow. Not sure who the answer is at CB but damn we don't have great ones. I like Richards' potential but that's all he is right now. Potentially a good player. Brooks isn't even playing for Benfica.

We have a problem.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Nothing prepares anyone better for the Wolrd Cup than the MLS. /entire Berhalter family
deadbq03
AG
To be fair, Brooks subbed on for the 2nd time this season on Saturday… at 90+2'. And the match had 9' of stoppage. So he's up to like 13' minutes of live stoppage time action this season.

If he's this good with 13', imagine how awesome he'll be if they ever give him 30'.

Seriously though - it's unreal how many folks think he's the answer. I bet most of them think he still starts in the Bundesliga.
Rudyjax
AG
So you're saying there's a chance we get out of group...

carl spacklers hat
Unfortunately, that ranking seems as legit as the Ag's #6 ranking to start the football season.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Forum Troll
AG
RIP Italy, 6th ranked team, doesn't qualify.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.