* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,649 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ukraine is appealing that FIFA ban Iran from competing in the WC (because the Iranian govt is supplying drones to Russia that are being used to attack non-military targets).

Relevant to us as Iran is in our WC group.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Good article on the Iran mess:
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/qatar-2022-will-iran-be-banned-from-2022-world-cup-who-would-replace-them-and-why-may-they-be-kicked-out-3888993
deadbq03
AG
I'm no fan of Russia or Iran, but this would set a weird precedent. It's one thing to sanction an outright aggressor, like Russia.

It's another thing to sanction for weapon sales and/or drone strikes… it's very much akin to the same gray area of involvement of pro-Ukrainian countries that are supplying them with weapons.

Should Turkey be banned from UEFA/FIFA for killing Kurds with drone strikes in Iraq this year? Nah, they're forgiven because the same Turkish drones are being used by Ukraine.

(And if we want to throw stones, our glass house has plenty of civilian casualties over the past 2 decades)

The world is screwed up. I'm not sure exactly where you draw the line, but I think Russia is clearly on one side of it and Iran is on the other.
Rudyjax
AG
It's definitely a slippery slope.

If anyone replaces Iran, it should not be euro country, but one that didn't qualify from Irans region. Just my ignorant thoughts.
akm91
AG
I say team from Oceania!
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Rudyjax
AG
Well in good news, Philadelphia made the MLS World Cup.

deadbq03
AG
You'd think the media would learn. I still can't forget this… dude's media homies didn't even correct him and he asked the same dumb question twice.

PatAg
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

If anyone replaces Iran, it should not be euro country, but one that didn't qualify from Irans region. Just my ignorant thoughts.
Thats absolutely how it should work.
Or if they had gotten in via a wild card, the team they beat would go in
There is no world where Italy should be in for Iran
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Thats absolutely how it should work.
Or if they had gotten in via a wild card, the team they beat would go in
There is no world where Italy should be in for Iran
And as cruel as it is, Ukraine should not get the sympathy allowance.
jeffk
AG
Pogba is apparently going to miss the WC due to injury. Kante already out. France is going to have to find someone new to kick the ball to Mbappe.
oragator
I'll just leave this here.

FBI investigation details former CIA operative's efforts to help Qatar's World Cup bid, influence US policy

https://www.foxnews.com/world/fbi-investigation-details-former-cia-operatives-efforts-to-help-qatars-world-cup-bid-influence-us-policy
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

Pogba is apparently going to miss the WC due to injury. Kante already out. France is going to have to find someone new to kick the ball to Mbappe.
With the guys they have waiting for their turn I've seen some comments that this might be a blessing in disguise for them.
DeangeloVickers
AG
More Iran news - Impending attack on Saudi and Iraq

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-saudi-arabia-high-alert-intel-impending-iranian-attack-report
Rudyjax
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

More Iran news - Impending attack on Saudi and Iraq

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-saudi-arabia-high-alert-intel-impending-iranian-attack-report
I hate governments.
akm91
AG
Too late to relocate the WC to the US?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
KCup17
AG
Wow… just realized that the WC is this month. I guess you could say I'm less than thrilled to see us play. I'm sure I'll get excited but rn it just isn't there.
Aston94
AG
KCup17 said:

Wow… just realized that the WC is this month. I guess you could say I'm less than thrilled to see us play. I'm sure I'll get excited but rn it just isn't there.
I am really curious to see World Cup ratings for this year. When it happens in the summer there is a general sports lull and so it fills up summer programming, but competing with college and pro football, NBA and NHL? Wouldn't be surprised to see really low ratings if the World Cup gets a bit lost in the sports mix.

I think excitement will start to build over the month, once teams start getting named and the club teams go on break. After the final group stage of European competitions this week I think the noise will start to really ramp up next week.

Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

KCup17 said:

I am really curious to see World Cup ratings for this year. When it happens in the summer there is a general sports lull and so it fills up summer programming, but competing with college and pro football, NBA and NHL? Wouldn't be surprised to see really low ratings if the World Cup gets a bit lost in the sports mix.

I think excitement will start to build over the month, once teams start getting named and the club teams go on break. After the final group stage of European competitions this week I think the noise will start to really ramp up next week.

Maybe in the US, but not globally.
Aston94
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Aston94 said:

KCup17 said:

Maybe in the US, but not globally.
Right, I was talking in the US. I assume soccer ratings will be good in Brazil no matter when they play the World Cup.
OregonAggie
AG
Aston94 said:

KCup17 said:

I agree with you. I don't think it'll be a great viewership-building World Cup in the US
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

Aston94 said:

KCup17 said:

I agree with you. I don't think it'll be a great viewership-building World Cup in the US
I think the US/England match on Black Friday will have good ratings.
PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

Aston94 said:

KCup17 said:

I think you could not be more wrong, its going to put up record numbers
jeffk
AG
The World Cup is one of those events where each new edition will break the viewership record set the previous cup.
ja86
AG
I figure most of the matches will be early am?
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

The World Cup is one of those events where each new edition will break the viewership record set the previous cup.
Exactly
Aston94
AG
PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

Aston94 said:

KCup17 said:

I think you could not be more wrong, its going to put up record numbers
Will be interesting for sure. It will likely beat the 2018 World Cup, but there was no USA in that, so should beat it.
Rudyjax
AG
ja86 said:

US plays at 1pm CST.
ja86
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

ja86 said:

US plays at 1pm CST.

Thanks!
KCup17
AG
It's gonna be a weird WC for sure.
PatAg
AG
KCup17 said:

It's gonna be a weird WC for sure.
Definitley unnatural
Rudyjax
AG
I'm afraid something is going to happen with Iran and Russia getting their panties in a wad.
jeffk
AG
Now Timo Werner is out for several months with an injured ankle.
Furlock Bones
AG
Wow.

ja86
AG
wow, if true, what a *****....
aggiephoenix02
ja86 said:

wow, if true, what a *****....
what if….
What if he took the trip and all, but didn't report a single person?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.