* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,671 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I assume Qatar has some crazy golf course we can get Gareth Bale a tee time for on 11/21, right?
Dre_00
oragator said:

England is calling it a dream draw. Which is fine with me because A-:they aren't taking us seriously (despite the fact hat both times we have played them at the world cup we came away with points), and B-it means they at worried about the other two either.
So I like our chances.

England is calling it a dream draw because their football media and fans are, mostly, the most insular, undeservingly arrogant group that still hasn't realized that they are their football team's own worst enemy. And even though they finally, somehow, managed to find a group of talented footballers with enough collective mental strength to handle that immense, unnecessary pressure, they seem hell bent on piling on more to ensure that this new group crumbles underneath that pressure as well.
oh no
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

I assume Qatar has some crazy golf course we can get Gareth Bale a tee time for on 11/21, right?
he has a Wales match that day; not a Real Madrid match.
carl spacklers hat
Brian Earl Spilner said:

wangus12 said:

Mexico getting a tough group
On the bright side, Argentina can't eliminate us in the knockouts again.
Correct. Instead, they get to eliminate El Tri-pe in the group stage. Pinche maranos sucios.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Mathguy64
AG
Finally out of a meeting.

This wasn't a great draw for us (US ) IMHO.

England is good. They are a WC semi finalist and EURO finalist for a reason. The good part is Harry Maguire is our secret weapon.

Wales/Scotland/Ukraine is a minefield.

If it's Ukraine the emotions would be beyond sky high and everyone in the world not a US national would be rooting for them. And some in the US might.

Wales is good. Not great but good and Bale can still score.

Scotland is the weak link of those three but also the one least likely to make it.

Last Iran. They are a good Asian team and right across the Gulf. Odds are that will get them a sizable crowd.

This group won't be decided early that's for sure. I would not be shocked to see GD decide it.
oh no
AG
Not the best, but usmnt should beat Iran and Wales and move on. Ukraine would be tough.
carl spacklers hat
Captain Positivity said:

I haven't followed as much over the last several years, but I don't see a definitive group of death.

Maybe C?
E, G and H look toughest, IMO
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
wangus12
AG
Mathguy64 said:

England is good. They are a WC semi finalist and EURO finalist for a reason. The good part is Harry Maguire is our secret weapon.
Not to mention Southgate tends to runs really dumb tactics as well.
JW
AG
not too bad. should be able to advance.
AustinScubaAg
AG
This will be a tough world cup for a number of groups. Group G is probably toughest top to bottom but I do not see many groups that will not be competitive. Groups A and H are the weakest but honestly they should be responsible competitive even if weaker since there is no clear #2 team and the clear #1 has slipped up in a fair number of game.

None of the CONCACF teams got easy draws, but I actually think Canada got a really good draw as a pot 4 team.
wangus12
AG
Based on average FIFA Rankings:

Group A: 31.75
Group B: 17.25 (14.75 if its Wales)
Group C: 22
Group D: 23.25 (17.75 if Peru)
Group E: 27 (18.25 if Costa Rica)
Group F: 20
Group G: 19.25
Group H: 27.5

This is simply averaging Group placement in FIFA Rankings which are terrible anyways
jeffk
AG
I'm suspicious that FIFA rigged this draw to be so even.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

I'm suspicious that FIFA rigged this draw to be so even.
FIFA wouldn't do that!

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
JJxvi
AG
LMAO, last night I spent thinking about what was the absolute best possible group for entertainment value other than getting a dream easy draw like Group A with Qatar, and my decision was basically England, USA, Iran, have Scotland or Wales qualify and even if they dont Ukraine (which is obviously more made for tv in certain contexts in the US)
akm91
AG
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
BJM1781
AG

Lest we forget what happened in 2010 (Actually got to witness that draw with England live in SA).

I'm sure the English media will come up with something similar this go round.
TheMasterplan
Dre_00 said:

oragator said:

England is calling it a dream draw. Which is fine with me because A-:they aren't taking us seriously (despite the fact hat both times we have played them at the world cup we came away with points), and B-it means they at worried about the other two either.
So I like our chances.

England is calling it a dream draw because their football media and fans are, mostly, the most insular, undeservingly arrogant group that still hasn't realized that they are their football team's own worst enemy. And even though they finally, somehow, managed to find a group of talented footballers with enough collective mental strength to handle that immense, unnecessary pressure, they seem hell bent on piling on more to ensure that this new group crumbles underneath that pressure as well.
England and their fans were great the last Euros and WC. I was rooting for them hard.

It's going to be a fun game!
tysker
AG
replace clint with Gio

edit: and we can send our British friends this link: https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/usmnt-news/2019/5/16/18627743/throwback-thursday-tbt-usa-usmnt-clint-dempsey-goal-world-cup-england-robert-green-howler

one more edit: and as it reminds in the link, we won the group beating a Muslim country (albeit an African one)
Thunder18
AG
I watched our game vs England at a bar in Dublin, Ireland. The place erupted when we tied it up
jakal0722
You forgot the vuvuzela trigger warning. I had happily forgotten of their existence.
aggiephoenix02
I'll be wearing my 1950 World Cup jersey for the England match…

I'm calling my shot now: USA 1 - England 0
wangus12
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Dre_00 said:

oragator said:

So I like our chances.

England and their fans are some of the most obnoxious and douchiest fans in the world who act like they own the ge despite having not won anything in 70 years while also racially abusing their young players. They belong in the same list as teasips and Yankees fans. I was rooting for them hard.

It's going to be a fun game!

FIFY
Dre_00
This English football team has a lot of genuinely likable players. Some English football fans are genuinely likable. Many are not (and the immense amount of racist abuse that Sancho, Saka, and Rashford endured proved that). Pretty much the entirety of English football media is a complete **** show.

My personal opinion of course.
Unemployed
AG
Dre_00 said:

This English football team has a lot of genuinely likable players. Some English football fans are genuinely likable. Many are not (and the immense amount of racist abuse that Sancho, Saka, and Rashford endured proved that). Pretty much the entirety of English football media is a complete **** show.

My personal opinion of course.
Man, eff Harry Kane.

And Harry Maguire, too.

If there's another Harry I'm missing, eff him, too.
jeffk
AG

It's begun.
wangus12
AG
I agree. I really like the new young English players. I despise their fans and their older players.
gambochaman
AG
Im a ball of excitement man
aggiephoenix02
How many times do we have to make England look like fools in the World Cup before they give us some respect? I hope they keep it up, I want England to ramp those expectations up to 11…
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

It's begun.

Won't shock me one bit that any EPL players, including ours, might have a rough World Cup. They're gonna be in the red zone in terms of how many games they'll have played in the fall
ChipFTAC01
AG
Won't pretty much all the euro leagues have similar issues.

Would be nice (for them) to have players without European commitments.
jeffk
AG
Unemployed
AG
jeffk said:

A gift?

Fox and Telemundo paid $1B for the rights to broadcast the 2018 and 2022 World Cups here in the US. For that kind of money, they have every right to tell FIFA when they want USA (and Mexico?) to play their games.
Pahdz
PatAg said:

TRM said:

We play Nov. 21st, Nov 25th, and Nov 29th.

21st - Euro
25th - England
29th - Iran
Monday the 21st
Friday the 25th
Tuesday the 29th

Weird ass dates, going to have to get creative to watch it, depending on what time the games are

Thanksgiving week right? Work should be slow
txam92
AG
That's not a gift for those of us who will be there. 2 of the 3 will be in Al Khor, which is the only stadium that doesn't have pseudo metro access from Doha. USA got Manaus'd again if this is true.
EastSideAg2002
Are we going to see the reappearance of the bloody t-shirt English fan wanker.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.