* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

160,241 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will the host countries get an auto bid? Sorry if that has already been addressed... Was just thinking about how FIFA would schedule the host countries venues if all get an auto bid. Like would US only play in US cities, Mexico in Mexican cities etc.
jeffk
AG
Yes, they do.
KCup17
AG
Then do you think that each host country will only get the games scheduled in their own country? Or each will have to play anywhere among the host cities?
jeffk
AG
I think each country will at least have their group games in their home venues.
Lavender Gooms
AG
You guys can have the games in DFW and Houston. I'm thinking Seattle and Vancouver combo! I'm done with the summer heat and humidity of Dallas and Houston. Kinda wished Denver got chosen. Oh well.
KCup17
AG
That would make the most sense. I guess we will wait and see.
JJxvi
AG
USA, Mexico, and Canada will be team #1 in already known groups (potentially Groups A, B, C for example). It will already be known, before the tournament is even drawn, what venues that the hosts will all play their group games at, and yes, US will play in the US, Mexico in Mexico, and Canada in Canada. Mexico and Canada's groups will likely also feed into second round games also played in those countries, but eventually if Mexico and Canada advance far enough, they will play games in the US. The US will likely have all possible permutations of games be in the US.
carl spacklers hat
Monterrey is about a 2.5 hour drive for me. Would you attend a match in Monterrey if you had the chance, and Houston/Dallas are 4.5 and 8 hours away, respectively?
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
jeffk
AG
I would.
Rudyjax
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Monterrey is about a 2.5 hour drive for me. Would you attend a match in Monterrey if you had the chance, and Houston/Dallas are 4.5 and 8 hours away, respectively?

Well if you had to go to Mexico, no.
carl spacklers hat
Ken Scarborough said:

carl spacklers hat said:

Well if you had to go to Mexico, no.
I get the sentiment but I'm not concerned with safety/security. More about taking in the atmosphere in a futbol-crazy country surrounded by rabid fans.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Texaggie7nine
Stay away from the fenced in section.
7nine
Juan Solo
AG
Yes, regios are some of the most passionate soccer fans, and the best tacos the stadium has the mountains in the background, awesome new stadium
jeffk
AG
Those WC venues will be the most secure locations in the whole of Latin America. I'd jump at a chance to take in a game there.
aggiephoenix02
YEAH!

USA!
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Those WC venues will be the most secure locations in the whole of Latin America. I'd jump at a chance to take in a game there.

I was assuming he was driving. I would fly there, but not drive.

But if I spoke the language and looked less Anglo, I'd be more inclined.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I have a buddy from McAllen, his mom's from Monterey and he's a huge Tigres fan. Pretty much all of his extended family is still in Monterey. He used to have season tickets, would hop on a bus and go down for the game and stay with family. He doesn't really go down anymore.
oragator
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-sex-ban-horny-27268714
Texaggie7nine
Also I've heard that they are going to be strict on public intox outside of designated alcohol serving areas around the city. I can't wait to see the number of arrests of English fans.
7nine
Rudyjax
AG
Why they allowed it there is beyond me.

Well I know, but no money in the world makes that a great place.
PatAg
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Also I've heard that they are going to be strict on public intox outside of designated alcohol serving areas around the city. I can't wait to see the number of arrests of English fans.
I guess I do understand why people would travel to this, it is the world cup after all....but I dont think you could pay me to go to this one.
KCup17
AG
How are they going to enforce that? Are they going to station police on every floor of every hotel that fans are staying at? Seems like a pretty strange thing to do.
oh no
AG
While places like Dubai UAE and Doha Qatar are big cities in Muslim states, they are huge travel and tourist destinations. Russian tourists and business travelers, European/western O&G and finance business travelers, and ex-pats from Russia and all over the west all enjoy the beautiful resorts/hotels, safety, and amenities in these nice cities. ...and the really "strict" wealthy Muslim men from places like Saudi Arabia go to those places for booze and sex because alcohol and prostitutes, while against the law in all Muslim states, have typically been allowed at hotels and at certain clubs at the resorts/hotels. It's their Las Vegas. People who aren't used to traveling to that part of the world do need to be warned though. Outside of the allowed clubs where booze and prostitutes are allowed, not being aware and respectful of their laws and culture - especially public displays of affection, drugs or alcohol, will get you thrown in jail.
Aston94
AG
I cannot imagine going to this World Cup. What an absolute terrible location to host a tournament for the world.
Mathguy64
AG
The really hilarious thing is they moved this **** show to December because of the heat.

Anyone seen how hot it is in Houston and Dallas last week and this week? Because that's when the games are going to be played.

What's the solutuon? Play indoors in Houston and Dallas. The same solution in Qatar but it's being done in December. But they should check the temps in KC right now and the temp and humidity in Miami.

The reality is it should have been played in June this year. Indoors. This whole thing has been one great big money grab and cock up.
KCup17
AG
Could not agree more.
oh no
AG
I can imagine their slave labor from India and Pakistan has been building them some amazing, beautiful soccer stadiums. I know they will have extravagant hotels. And, being in Nov/Dec, it won't be too terribly hot during the day and it will be awesome in the evenings. But yes, fifa should have known all along this is not the place to host that many visitors from Europe, north and south America, and Africa, yet their greed and corruption allowed it. The world will have to be in awe of the wealth and extravagance while ignoring and dancing around the way they treat women, gays, and their poor.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Anyone know where the euro nations league games are being broadcast? Didn't see them on ESPN or paramount. My neighbor and his son were on the TV during the neth-wales game behind goal and I'm trying to find it for his wife.
jeffk
AG

Nevermind, I'm an idiot. See below for actual good information.
deadbq03
AG
It's Fox, Fubo, and/or Univision. I watched Germany-Italy on FS1 or 2.

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/0275-15381f6665f4-8ee5edebf148-1000--where-to-watch-nations-league/
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

I'm an idiot.
Me too. I couldn't remember if it really was an FS that I watched it on so I had to look it up.
jeffk
AG
I could have sworn I had watched the games on E+, but that must have been some other tourney.
jeffk
AG
gougler08
AG
That's a good friendly
akm91
AG
Really loved their 2018 kit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.