* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,624 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Every striker that has ever lived misses goals. No one converts chances at a high rate, it's all about how many you create.

If someone is converting at a high rate, or outperforming their expected goals, you can expect them to have a down period to return to the mean.
If you like a guy, you say this.

If you don't'like him, he sucks.

This is true for every player and every fanbase.

But realistically, you're simplifying it, because some finish at higher percentage than others and some finish at a lower percentage.
akm91
AG
OregonAggie said:

akm91 said:

jeffk said:

Reece James is likely going to miss the WC now.
Starting to see additional players that are going to miss the WC now.

Diogo Jota's calf injury from Sunday will keep him out of the World Cup
There's concern about Leroy Sane's injury may keep him out of the WC as well.
akm91
AG
Think Kyle Walker is also out for England.
PatAg
AG

I'm glad we are doing this, but that is such a long time for some players to not play a competitive game before the World Cup
Concerning
DeangeloVickers
AG
fig96
AG
PatAg said:

I'm glad we are doing this, but that is such a long time for some players to not play a competitive game before the World Cup
Concerning
While I get your point, it doesn't seem like it's much different than a typical World Cup for European players.

Season finishes mid to late May for most of them, first matches for a summer WC would be mid to late June.
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

PatAg said:

Concerning
While I get your point, it doesn't seem like it's much different than a typical World Cup for European players.

Season finishes mid to late May for most of them, first matches for a summer WC would be mid to late June.
Except this year they're all in mid season form.
It does also hurt them for injuries.

wangus12
AG
fig96 said:

PatAg said:

Concerning

Yeah, but most national teams are able to fit in 2+ friendlies in that 3 week time period between the domestic leagues ending and the WC starting.
PatAg
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

That dude is a massive ****, anytime something from him has come across my timeline he is just extremely unlikable with how he tweets
akm91
AG
Should retweet these clip to the dork. Every striker misses sitters every now and then, even the best in the world.

Rudyjax
AG
To be intellectually honest, none of those misses were as bad as Jesus'.

That being said, they all miss.

jeffk
AG
Relevant

And yeah, all strikers miss chances. Just have to take a broader view and see if it's a departure from their norm.
tysker
AG
Us oldies remember Landon's missing the "sitter of the season" when he played for Everton:

https://www.toffeeweb.com/players/profiles/Donovan.php
Quote:

He was dropped in favour of Vic against Spurs long before he left... and when he eventually came on, he missed Sitter of the Season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/mar/01/landon-donovan-everton-miss
Quote:

The Everton forward Landon Donovan has apologised to his team-mates after missing one of the sitters of the season against Spurs at White Hart Lane yesterday. The American came on as a substitute and should have equalised in the 77th minute after Jack Rodwell picked him out with a pass to the far post.
Aston94
AG
PatAg said:

DeangeloVickers said:

That dude is a massive ****, anytime something from him has come across my timeline he is just extremely unlikable with how he tweets
He is definitely one of the US Soccer know it alls that pollute twitter. One of the many reasons why I got rid of twitter, didn't need that negativity in my life.
jeffk
AG
N'Golo Kante is reported to be missing the WC as well.
fig96
AG
Fair point.
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

PatAg said:

DeangeloVickers said:

He is definitely one of the US Soccer know it alls that pollute twitter. One of the many reasons why I got rid of twitter, didn't need that negativity in my life.
I've become very liberal with my mute button, as there are still a lot of great people putting thought into their content.
PatAg
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

To be intellectually honest, none of those misses were as bad as Jesus'.

That being said, they all miss.

and as someone that supports Jesus, it's an awful miss in a big moment.
It really sucks that the team wont get to have a few games together before the World Cup like normal
For multiple positions, Gregg is going to have to either choose based on peoples club forms, or how they have actually played for the national team in the past year or two.
fig96
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Louder for everyone in the back...

SEND OUR YOUNG ATTACKERS TO THE EREDIVISIE!
PatAg
AG
Ideally to the good teams
Rudyjax
AG
fig96 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Louder for everyone in the back...

SEND OUR YOUNG ATTACKERS TO THE EREDIVISIE!
Serious question with no shade intended....

Is the Eredivisie much better than the MLS?
deadbq03
AG
Not a perfect measure by any stretch of the imagination, but I like to look at Transfermarkt player values when comparing between leagues that never play each other competitively.

The Top 7 MLS teams would fall between #4 and #5 in Eredivisie.

Most telling though is that the bottom 10 Eredivisie teams are worse than the worst MLS team (Colorado). Some are drastically worse… the bottom 6 teams are less than half the value of Colorado.

Pepi's team would be in the bottom quarter of MLS.

Essentially, if you tossed out the Top 3 teams in Eredivisie, MLS teams would likely be very competitive in the league.
Rudyjax
AG
So really, he's going back to an easier league and scoring goals.

fig96
AG
They're generally ranked 6th (just outside the elite leagues) and MLS is somewhere in the mid teens, top to bottom we're a stronger league but their top few teams are elite. The best MLS teams would finish probably 6-10 there.

The big thing for me is that they're known to have really great training and graduate lots of outstanding attackers to the top leagues.
deadbq03
AG
Pretty much. But as an added bonus, he'll also have 4-6 games against top notch teams where he'll get to practice parking the bus.

IMO MLS has come along enough that on any given week, you're only likely to face better competition in the Big 5 (and Brazil - was being Euro-centric).

The top teams of lots of other leagues would run circles around MLS teams, but the bottom and even mid-table teams in those league are typically trash.
mrmill3218
AG
3G has ALWAYS said his number one metric is who's in form. Let's see if he really means that because Sargent, Pefok, and Pepi are all in better form than Ferreira.

It seems in the past he has said this but not really backed it up. I suspect we can expect more of the same, sadly.
fig96
AG
He said this then started Steffen over Turner. He'd played a total of 2 club matches over the 20-22 seasons.
mrmill3218
AG
And he has also been playing Aaron Long, who has been terrible, Kellyn Acosta, who is at best an average MLS player, and Jesus Ferreira, who is tied for FOURTH in goals scored in MLS.
wangus12
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

He was in the Bundesliga for 5 months. Not over a year lol
wangus12
AG
Had no issue with Acosta playing in CONCACAF games because he is our most CONCACAF player. He's also probably our best set piece guy. Don't mind him being on the bench for the WC, but definitely not starting.
tysker
AG
mrmill3218 said:

And he has also been playing Aaron Long, who has been terrible, Kellyn Acosta, who is at best an average MLS player, and Jesus Ferreira, who is tied for FOURTH in goals scored in MLS.
How many people are going to pissed if he brings in Ream over Richards and Cannon?
tysker
AG
And Acosta is still a better set piece taker than any other player except maybe Gio
mrmill3218
AG
Ream has been dreadful for the yanks. I like Richards and think Cannon is okay.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I watched Ream today (also play with Robinson) and he was terrific. My guess is he fires passes all over the field and Gregg wants short passes.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.