* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,618 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I still say Klinsmann was amazing....it's just our US soccer organization is absolute **** show and drove him insane
There was plenty of blame to go around and he also didn't do himself any favors
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
I think scouting and development at youth levels with the USSF's Development Academy improved tremendously under Jurgen. Now, after taking it too far at too high of a cost by going all the way down to U12 and adding women's DA, the DA is defunct. It will be interesting to see if the USYNTs and USMNTs going forward will be able to get the same or better quality players and scouting (selecting the right players) from the MLS Next leagues and ECNL Boys leagues.
TRM
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I still say Klinsmann was amazing....it's just our US soccer organization is absolute **** show and drove him insane

Coaching wise he sucked, but he had a great overall organizational vision.
mrmill3218
AG
Legal Custodian said:

Has anyone read Das Reboot by Raphael Honigstein?

I read it a couple of years ago and it is fascinating. It's about the "reboot" that the German DFB did after the failure of the 2004 Euro's and how they (Klinsmann) completely reformed the way academies, training, and scouting was done in order to get a good team for 2006 for when Germany hosted the World Cup. Ultimately leading to the win in 2014.

It goes pretty deep at how the Bundesliga and DFB was set up and how this change brought about a revamped and exciting Bundesliga and national team. Easy and good read so far. It was written in 2015 and brings up Flick, Tuchel, Low, Klinsmann, Klopp, and other notable names.

I read this and loved it. Very fascinating.
aggiephoenix02
He left Landon Donovan off the World Cup squad, that's all I needed to see of Klinsmann to cement my opinion of him as a manager…
fig96
AG
Not immediately relevant but as the tv rights discussion has been intertwined with all of our national team conversation and this has become kind of the USMNT thread:

I saw that the Astros were on Friday night but I didn't have the extra MLB coverage, then realized I could watch it on AppleTV+. Interesting to see these nontraditional platforms in the mix and I'm sure we'll see that affecting bigger events like the WC sooner than later.
deadbq03
AG
I'm waiting for some clever entrepreneur to "sublease" only the soccer rights from streaming services and then bundle a soccer only service.

Imagine if you could pay $15-$20 and get all soccer games streaming on ESPN+, Peacock, Paramount, etc… and not pay for all the extra BS that comes from these networks.
TRM
AG
Mexico just set up 5 games from now through August not counting Nations League. Hope we can do the same.
themissinglink
AG
jeffk said:

Checking this out now, if you're a fan of the Nepal Women's league or Mongolian second division, you aren't going to want to miss it.
jeffk
AG
TRM said:

Mexico just set up 5 games from now through August not counting Nations League. Hope we can do the same.

Here's the details on Mexico's summer:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexico-mex/story/4640499/mexico-book-pre-world-cup-friendlies-vs-uruguaynigeriaothers-in-us

A good slate of friendlies for sure - Nigeria, Paraguay, Uruguay, Guatemala, and Ecuador. All played in the US from what it seems.

Edit - Mexico also has nations league games against Suriname and Jamaica scheduled for June.
oh no
AG
How is it possible to get the national team together for all those matches? And get nigeria and some conmebol teams to come to the us ?
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I have no idea how they're getting the team together for seven games over four months. Maybe a huge player pool?
TRM
AG
Aren't most of Mexico's players in LigaMX? I'm sure they'll release players for Mexico's friendlies. I don't see the Euro based guys aren't getting released.
oh no
AG
Most leagues around the world except for stupid MLS are off in the summer. Maybe clubs are allowing it. If so, we should have our Euro based players, which should be most of our expected Qatar roster, get together for some away European friendlies.
akm91
AG
Only the June matches are FIFA windows where clubs are required to release players.

Most of Mexico's players play in Liga MX so I'm guessing their soccer federation has secure the release of those players for the friendlies outside the FIFA windows (April and August). I can't imagine any European clubs will release players for the friendly on 4/27 and most likely not for 8/31 as they are either in training or in season.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
jeffk
AG
All of the USMNT players from Europe will be hurt by June, so I'm not sure why we're even worried about it.
AgGrad99
AG
jeffk said:

All of the USMNT players from Europe will be hurt by June, so I'm not sure why we're even worried about it.
hits too close to home
fig96
AG
USMNT roster predictions from The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/3246397/2022/04/12/usmnt-2022-world-cup-roster-prediction/

TENORIO
Goalkeeper (3): Sean Johnson, Zack Steffen, Matt Turner
Left back (2): Antonee Robinson, Kevin Paredes
Center back (4): John Brooks, Chris Richards, Miles Robinson, Walker Zimmerman
Right back (2): Sergiño Dest, DeAndre Yedlin
Defensive midfield (2): Kellyn Acosta, Tyler Adams
Central midfield (5): Luca de la Torre, Weston McKennie, Djordje Mihailovic, Yunus Musah, Gio Reyna
Winger (5): Brenden Aaronson, Paul Arriola, Jordan Morris, Christian Pulisic, Tim Weah
Striker (3): Jesus Ferreira, Ricardo Pepi, Josh Sargent

STEJSKAL
Left back (2): Antonee Robinson, Joe Scally
Center back (4): Aaron Long, Chris Richards, Miles Robinson, Walker Zimmerman
Right back (3): Reggie Cannon, Sergiño Dest, DeAndre Yedlin
Defensive midfielder (2): Tyler Adams, Kellyn Acosta
Central midfielder (4): Luca de la Torre, Weston McKennie, Djordje Mihailovic, Yunus Musah
Winger (5): Brenden Aaronson, Christian Pulisic, Jordan Morris, Gio Reyna, Tim Weah
Striker (3): Jesus Ferreira, Ricardo Pepi, Brandon Vasquez
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think the only one those that stuck out to me was Djordje Mihailovi instead of Gianluca Busio. Feel like Djordie is out of the setup. Looks like he was called in for that January pre-camp
TRM
AG
Not really worried about the selections yet, but I would like to see a large group brought in during June if it can be managed. I don't want to see a guy tear it up during the fall, but get left off because there was no familiarity with the system.
Aston94
AG
Left back (2): Antonee Robinson, Joe Scally
Center back (4): Aaron Long, Chris Richards, Miles Robinson, Walker Zimmerman
Right back (3): Reggie Cannon, Sergiño Dest, DeAndre Yedlin
Defensive midfielder (2): Tyler Adams, Kellyn Acosta
Central midfielder (4): Luca de la Torre, Weston McKennie, Djordje Mihailovic, Yunus Musah
Winger (5): Brenden Aaronson, Christian Pulisic, Jordan Morris, Gio Reyna, Tim Weah
Striker (3): Jesus Ferreira, Ricardo Pepi, Brandon Vasquez

So they are going off a 26 man roster (has that been confirmed that FIFA is making it a 26 man roster?). The names I bolded are locks to be on the team, I have 18 locks. I think the other 8 positions are up for grabs and you bring in a wide array of players to compete for those spots. Djordje Mihailovic deserves a look in June, as does Brandon Vasquez, Joe Scally, Busio, Pefok, Sargent, Cannon, etc.

I hope we bring in a lot of players and let them compete with the top guys in June, so we can see what they really have.
deadbq03
AG
TRM said:

Not really worried about the selections yet, but I would like to see a large group brought in during June if it can be managed. I don't want to see a guy tear it up during the fall, but get left off because there was no familiarity with the system.
I agree. And the inverse of that is also bad… a guy has a serious drop in form and is crap in the fall but gets included anyway because he's had lots of callups.
deadbq03
AG
I'd be tempted to say LDLT is a lock and Ferreira isn't - which perhaps means neither are
TRM
AG
I'd like to see Alan Sonora get a look this summer.

bagger05
AG
Golazo!
jeffk
AG
The playoff for the last spot in our group has been set.

oh no
AG
Come on, Scots!!!
Mathguy64
AG
You want to pull for Ukraine for the human side, but the USMNT soccer fan in me wants Scotland. Make the group as weak as possible.
oh no
AG
I'm human and my human side would rather usmnt play Scotland than wales or Ukraine.
aggiephoenix02
**** Ukraine. I wanna play Scotland or Wales…
aggiephoenix02
Human side? Whatever. You wanna lose to Ukraine too? That would just be the best for the Ukrainian people… barf.
Dre_00
Is the difference between Scotland, Wales, and Ukraine significant enough to warrant an opinion based on footballing skill? This desire to thread the needle in order to get the absolutely easiest group possible as opposed to a group that's like 5% more difficult is weird to me. I'm going to be disappointed if the US doesn't qualify out of the group no matter who gets that final spot. And if they don't qualify because Ukraine made it I'm certainly not going to say "If only we got Scotland!".

Anyway, go Ukraine, Scotland, and Wales. I hope you produce some fun to watch qualification games in June. And whichever one of you wins, I hope we beat you in November as we are more than capable of doing.
deadbq03
AG
Wales is #18
Ukraine is #27 and will have a ton of neutral crowd support

Scotland is #39

Wales would be the 2nd best team in Pot 3. It'd be unfortunate if we drew them as our Pot 3… but not worth wringing hands over. But it's definitely unfair that we get them in Pot 4.
AgGrad99
AG
I don't want to play Bale.

Rooting for Scotland
Ag Since 83
AG
I've watched a decent number of Scotland's qualifiers as a) I'm a big fan of Kieran Tierney from Arsenal and b) I've been to Scotland and absolutely loved it

They strike me as a team that is tough to break down but really struggles to score.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.