* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,655 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fifas only goal is lining their own pockets in whatever way they can. They make up these excuses like "furthering the game" and "bringing the game to new locations" it's really just finding new revenue sources.
tysker
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

tysker said:

agsalaska said:

gambochaman said:

Going forward bids should go to countries with the stadium infrastructure in place to host immediately…maybe some minor upgrades/renovations

This bullcrap we'll build 12 stadiums in 10 years crap is ridiculous
I mostly agree. I think what Brazil and Germany did building a bunch of new stadiums made sense because those new stadiums would be used in the domestic leagues. Here at home we have gone through several stadium pushes at different times in all major sports. What better than the WC as a reason in most nations.

But the city infrastructure and demand for the new stadium needs to already exist in order to bid. All of these brand new stadiums in Qatar is just senseless.
FIFA knew this before the Brazil and South African WCs but putting the WC in well established countries continued to look like favoritism and elitism. I think FIFA wanted to use the WC as a hand up for those host countries and get some political points as well, not realizing that other countries (like Russia and Qatar) would use the same strategy for their our gain.
You are giving FIFA way too much credit. They wanted bribes and did not care if Russia and Qatar used the WC for their own financial gain. FIFA has been a very corrupt organization.
Maybe I am but I chose to not be that cynical. FIFA is a profit seeking organization just like any other. You would have to use the same application for Brazil and South Africa bids. How many complained about corruption back then? Its just easier to complain about Russia and Qatar because those countries have movie villains in leadership. We couldnt say as much about Nelson Mandela (little did we know).

The Russia and Qatar announcements were the end game and FIFA got lucky it could wash away its sins with the US/Mexico/Canada bid. But still, the 2026 WC will likely be the most profitable WC for FIFA in history, so is that any better? And will we use the same corruption metrics for Spain and Portugal both of which are broke. A 2030 WC bid (with Tunisia) could be financially beneficial to those countries as they gloss over their impending financial crises.
ColoradoMooseHerd
tysker said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

tysker said:

agsalaska said:

gambochaman said:

Going forward bids should go to countries with the stadium infrastructure in place to host immediately…maybe some minor upgrades/renovations

I mostly agree. I think what Brazil and Germany did building a bunch of new stadiums made sense because those new stadiums would be used in the domestic leagues. Here at home we have gone through several stadium pushes at different times in all major sports. What better than the WC as a reason in most nations.

But the city infrastructure and demand for the new stadium needs to already exist in order to bid. All of these brand new stadiums in Qatar is just senseless.
FIFA knew this before the Brazil and South African WCs but putting the WC in well established countries continued to look like favoritism and elitism. I think FIFA wanted to use the WC as a hand up for those host countries and get some political points as well, not realizing that other countries (like Russia and Qatar) would use the same strategy for their our gain.
You are giving FIFA way too much credit. They wanted bribes and did not care if Russia and Qatar used the WC for their own financial gain. FIFA has been a very corrupt organization.
Maybe I am but I chose to not be that cynical. FIFA is a profit seeking organization just like any other. You would have to use the same application for Brazil and South Africa bids. How many complained about corruption back then? Its just easier to complain about Russia and Qatar because those countries have movie villains in leadership. We couldnt say as much about Nelson Mandela (little did we know).

The Russia and Qatar announcements were the end game and FIFA got lucky it could wash away its sins with the US/Mexico/Canada bid. But still, the 2026 WC will likely be the most profitable WC for FIFA in history, so is that any better? And will we use the same corruption metrics for Spain and Portugal both of which are broke. A 2030 WC bid (with Tunisia) could be financially beneficial to those countries as they gloss over their impending financial crises.
You really need to do your homework on how corrupt FIFA is. I suggest the Netflix documentary for you to start and then you can easily find more on them regarding the court cases and the internal FIFA staff testifying against them.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Anyone watching Messi at 3am tomorrow?
Wish I had.

The Saudis beat Argentina and The King gave the country the day off to celebrate. That's pretty awesome.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Listen to ColoradoMooseHerd on this.
FIFA's corruption is well known and second only to The IOC.

Funny thing with the IOC is it's gotten so expensive to win the hosting rights that only somebody desperate to put themselves on the map would do it. See - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia in 2032.
jeffk
AG
The goals of FIFA turning a profit and FIFA officials lining their pockets are sometimes aligned.
tysker
AG
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

tysker said:

ColoradoMooseHerd said:

tysker said:

agsalaska said:

gambochaman said:

You really need to do your homework on how corrupt FIFA is. I suggest the Netflix documentary for you to start and then you can easily find more on them regarding the court cases and the internal FIFA staff testifying against them.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying FIFA isn't corrupt or allows corruption, but corruption is in the heart of man and their corruption is no different than you see within most any powerful non-profit or NGO. You see it in soccer academies, ODP/ECNL, college football recruiting, UAA basketball. Heck maybe even your church.
FIFA was corrupt when it gave the US the bid in 94 as a signal it had won the cold war.
FIFA was corrupt when it gave the WWC to Canada and changed its rules to play on turf and moved the Final to Vancouver so the Americans could attend.
It was corrupt when Brazil built a stadium in the middle of a jungle and was corrupt and required stadiums in South Africa people knew would not be used post-WC.

But the expansion of the game, especially the women's game, is undeniable. Yes it is, and was, a money grab, at all levels from youth leagues and academies to FIFA HQ. But are we as fans and players better off for it?

Favors are handed out all the time. Watch the Netflix special, and ask yourself who is more corrupt, Plantini and FIFA or Sarkozy and France? Planitini got the Princeton can use a guy like Joel France could use a WC in Qatar treatment. You going to tell me the same thing didn't happen with Gulati, Obama, and the Clinton Foundation? FIFAs corruption is headline with the Qatar win mostly because of the human rights concerns of the host country; had the US won, FIFA would still be rolling. More than anything FIFA lost control of FIFA. Has anything really changed besides the FIFA members will be less obvious about their transactions?
swc93
AG
Biggest surprise for me so far this World Cup…after the 7am game ends and FS1 switches to its normal schedule; Who watches Undisputed??? What a complete garbage of a show. Couldn't get to the remote fast enough this morning.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
swc93 said:

Biggest surprise for me so far this World Cup…after the 7am game ends and FS1 switches to its normal schedule; Who watches Undisputed??? What a complete garbage of a show. Couldn't get to the remote fast enough this morning.

Yep, we have the games on all day in our office, and as soon as Undisputed comes on it's always a scramble to change the channel to Fox.
JCRiley09
AG
Has anyone watched Fox's World Cup Tonight with Ochocinco? You can't deny the guy's love of the game, but wow does that panel struggle with how to react to him.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I did see that- his veneers just glow and he is out there but entertaining
agsalaska
AG
What are we all using to stream the games?

I'm sitting in a camper next to the lake and want to stream it on my TV
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Ag Since 83
AG
In 20 years the "celebrity fan on a World Cup tour" has gone from Drew Carey with a camera to Ochocinco on Fox every day

What a world we live in
GrapevineAg
AG
tysker said:

Being financially beneficial and being corrupt are 2 different things. North America can be a profitable host, and that can be good for everyone: players, workers, fans, etc. How many people will die in North America building stadiums and facilities under slave-like conditions? Did Qatar really deserve to host, or was it purely a bribe?
JCRiley09
AG
No need to entertain the "It's acceptable corruption because there is corruption elsewhere" argument
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
agsalaska said:

What are we all using to stream the games?

I'm sitting in a camper next to the lake and want to stream it on my TV

At my office we use youtubetv, and at my house I use fubotv
JCRiley09
AG
I'm recording stuff on YTTV, but the Fox Sports app has a better picture, so I use it when I'm watching live
agsalaska
AG
The Fox Sports app works perfectly

Great picture

Thanks
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
TXAggie2011
AG
I hate that the actual attendance rate for whoever FIFA saves all the great midfield seats for is 25% at best. Use it or lose it!
MookieBlaylock
AG
the change to 5 subs is really going to benefit the countries in these blowouts- plenty of rest for the top players is available
MookieBlaylock
AG
THE CHASE FOR DAL

COSTA RICA -7
IRAN -4
AUSTRALIA -3
QATAR -2

GONNA BE TOUGH FOR ANYONE TO CATCH CR -
Bryan98
AG
Chris Wondolowski thinks Hwang should have scored that.
La Bamba
AG
Good morning to you, Hazard.
NE PA Ag
It just gets better and better for World Cup fans in Qatar

https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/23/now-qatar-has-banned-fans-from-playing-football-outside-stadiums-17815768/
Rudyjax
AG
Those sweaters the NFL guys were wearing were awesome.
I wish they'd sell them.
gougler08
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Those sweaters the NFL guys were wearing were awesome.
I wish they'd sell them.

They do!

https://store.ussoccer.com/products/usasms2220-mens-foco-u-s-soccer-ugly-sweater
Bryan98
AG
They literally came out today. I'm getting one fa sho.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The ugly sweater looks amazing meanwhile the jerseys that were supposed to be amazing look ugly

deadbq03
AG
Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Edit to add - I hope he has different goals, but man, Tyler would crush it on TV after he retires.
Bryan98
AG
I assume you've listened to all the podcasts Tyler has been doing with Men in Blazers this year?
Rudyjax
AG
If A&M were playing during the US/England match (like bu/tu were), would you watch the US or A&M?

*Assuming it's a typical season and not this abortion.
Pahdz
US
JJxvi
AG
Dumb question. You can watch an entire soccer game and only miss 10:00 of a college football gameclock time.
Rudyjax
AG
JJxvi said:

Dumb question. You can watch an entire soccer game and only miss 10:00 of a college football gameclock time.

That's true. My Baylor fan friend went radio silent and is watching right now.
OregonAggie
AG
I'd watch the Aggies instead. Now if it were Liverpool vs USMNT vs Ags?

Liverpool without a doubt

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.