* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,648 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Forum Troll said:

RIP Italy, 6th ranked team, doesn't qualify.

That's just ****ty luck.
PatAg
AG
https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4769547/qatar-to-send-drunk-fans-to-sobering-up-areas-during-world-cup

"There are plans in place for people to sober up if they've been drinking excessively,"It's a place to make sure that they keep themselves safe, they're not harmful to anybody else."
It has been reported that fans who end up in a so-called "sobering tent" will remain there until they are sufficiently clearheaded to be released with a warning.

Sounds like jail
tysker
AG
Will they be collected in paddy wagons or is that too offensive for the Qataris?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
PatAg said:

Sounds like jail

I have a not so small suspicion that the World Cup is going to turn out to be a PR nightmare for the Qataris when they figure out that they can't very carefully control every last morsel of the narrative in the media and more importantly, social media.

Also, their government reminds me of:

Paul Dirac
Gig 'Em!
jeffk
AG
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Setting a count down and already planning my outrage.

No Sargent!
No Pefok!

Arriola??
Morris?
Long? ?
Llleget?

jeffk
AG
I mean, I think those first three ???s are all roster locks.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

And I'm prepared to be angry about it.
carl spacklers hat
Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

Setting a count down and already planning my outrage.

No Sargent!
No Pefok!

Arriola??
Morris?
Long? ?
Llleget?

Don't sleep on Zardes!
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
OregonAggie
AG
jeffk said:

Including Sargent and Pefok? I could see Pefok not being invited just because he wasn't there during the last window but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't mind Arriola being there but I don't want to see him on the field…
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
No Nipple.
Bryan98
AG
PatAg said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4769547/qatar-to-send-drunk-fans-to-sobering-up-areas-during-world-cup

"There are plans in place for people to sober up if they've been drinking excessively,"It's a place to make sure that they keep themselves safe, they're not harmful to anybody else."
It has been reported that fans who end up in a so-called "sobering tent" will remain there until they are sufficiently clearheaded to be released with a warning.

Sounds like jail

I just read they're gonna make people install some kind of watchdog app on their phones. Never even heard of such a thing.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, it's being marketed as a ticketless entry but you have to upload a ton of personal data as well as your tickets. Stu Holden was tweeting about how he'd already signed up (since he's traveling for Fox) and it was a bit concerning.
jeffk
AG
Reece James is likely going to miss the WC now.
DeangeloVickers
AG
jeffk said:

Yeah, it's being marketed as a ticketless entry but you have to upload a ton of personal data as well as your tickets. Stu Holden was tweeting about how he'd already signed up (since he's traveling for Fox) and it was a bit concerning.
I'm going. Just had to upload my passport, picture, and DOB. That's not any different than any other visa for countries.

Im sure this will be a **** show, but the mantra in the middle east is "inshallah" ---if Allah wills it

I'm staying in one of those "sheds"...should be entertaining if nothing else
Seven Costanza
AG
If nothing else, the experience will be a good story to tell.
PatAg
AG
couldnt pay me to attend this World Cup
jeffk
AG
Interesting. That's less intrusive than what I saw the other day, but I don't doubt you.

I look forward to hearing your updates.
PatAg
AG
Our starting CBs, as of right now, won't be playing from today until the start of the World Cup

not great
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatAg said:

couldnt pay me to attend this World Cup

I have an extra bed if you want to go! (Seriously)

It's definitely weird, but Im excited. I'll get to see multiple games in one day with the setup. Stadiums look incredible. England vs USA will be amazing
mrmill3218
AG
How long is a flight to Qatar and how much does it cost?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Qatar flights are insane. I'm flying to Bahrain (close friends live there) then driving with them to Qatar through Saudi.

I bought a long time ago. Austin to London, London to Bahrain and it was $1600 round trip. Not sure what it is now.
PatAg
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

Qatar flights are insane. I'm flying to Bahrain (close friends live there) then driving with them to Qatar through Saudi.

I bought a long time ago. Austin to London, London to Bahrain and it was $1600 round trip. Not sure what it is now.
Hope you have a good time, sing the anthem loudly and proudly
Pahdz
Jesus had a Wondo like flub this evening, can't wait to see that in Qatar
Rudyjax
AG
Pahdz said:

It looked bad live. Was it that bad in person?

Was that when he completely missed the ball?
Pahdz
I am a Minnesota fan so was watching from home also but it might have been worse than Wondo.

I'm sure PatAg will come here to tell us how he was amazing to be in that spot and the ball was covered in Vaseline or something (I kid, just have to poke the resident FC Dallas apologist )
DeangeloVickers
AG
Meanwhile Pefok just keeps scoring. I hope he's on the roster
PatAg
AG
Every striker that has ever lived misses goals. No one converts chances at a high rate, it's all about how many you create.
If someone is converting at a high rate, or outperforming their expected goals, you can expect them to have a down period to return to the mean.

It's a bad miss on a reaction to a rebound in front of him. You want your strikers to be clinical in that moment.
I give him a lot of credit for having the composure to put his PK away later in the game, and I think he took WAY too much pressure onto himself to perform in the game. He was constantly dropping back into the midfield and almost playing like an 8, as opposed to occassionaly doing it to drag the defense around.
That's why its important for players to get these sort of games, and imo, try to move to Europe for a team that will actually play them. They have to expose themselves to truly pressure filled situations.

I also think its idiotic to only look at "this striker scored and this didn't", as that is not the only way to evaluate players.
I do think Pefok is playing very well, and it was very dumb to not have him at those two friendlies. To me, that means Gregg had already decided he isn't bringing him. It could be as simple as the dude does not really speak any English, along with a couple other on the field issues. Gregg has a couple big flaws, and I think his biggest one is not adapting his system to the player pool we havee.
PatAg
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Pahdz said:

It looked bad live. Was it that bad in person?

Was that when he completely missed the ball?
Essentially the cross came in, and he had a moment to see it deflect toward him on a bounce with some backspin.
We would literally do drills for this, so in this moment it should be a simple side footed finish and a celebration.
He topped it instead.

At least he will have another game on Sunday to improve upon this showwing, and ideally play more within the team and 'do less' while actually providing more in doing so.

Minnesota can go work on their fishing form.
Rudyjax
AG
Yeah, I watched it this morning. I couldn't tell if he missed it or if he got a foot on it.

We thought for sure too llegets backheel was in live.

Pahdz
PatAg said:

Minnesota can go work on their fishing form.
had to get that jab in butthole

edit - at first I read it as "finishing form" which would also be appropriate
fig96
AG
Quote:

At least he will have another game on Sunday to improve upon this showwing, and ideally play more within the team and 'do less' while actually providing more in doing so.

I hope to see him shank every shot he takes on Sunday (though I do hope he plays well at the WC)
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

Starting to see additional players that are going to miss the WC now.
OregonAggie
AG
akm91 said:

jeffk said:

Starting to see additional players that are going to miss the WC now.

Diogo Jota's calf injury from Sunday will keep him out of the World Cup

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.