* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,621 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sure they announced years ago the final is in NY.
Aston94
AG
akm91 said:

Hard to imagine LA not getting the final given how successful it was back in '94.
Problem with LA (and they will be a host) is that the new SoFi Stadium is not wide enough for WC Field, so the games will need to be at the Rose Bowl. Rose Bowl is a lovely venue, but if you have been there you know it is an old stadium lacking in luxury boxes and amenities, which WC sponsors want for a final.

So the final will be at one of three venues in myopinion: NY-Metlife (most likely), Jerry World, or in Atlanta at Mercedes Benz Stadium
The Pilot
AG
I would think LA would get the final over NY.

Edit - didn't realize there was a field issue. How does that happen with a new stadium???? One would think they would have wanted soccer games there.
bagger05
AG
I read that about SoFi. But I also saw that both stadiums were in the bid book for LA.

Not sure what's going on with LA.
wangus12
AG
Final in NYC is gross. That venue has been god awful when used for soccer
wangus12
AG
The Pilot said:

I would think LA would get the final over NY.

Edit - didn't realize there was a field issue. How does that happen with a new stadium???? One would think they would have wanted soccer games there.
Especially since it was built by the guy who owns Arsenal FC
AgGrad99
AG
bagger05 said:

Soccer has flexible dimensions for the size of the field but I think for the World Cup it's a much tighter tolerance. So whatever they can normally do is probably fine for regular tournaments but maybe it needs to be bigger for the WC?
interesting. I know about flexible dims, but you'd think all FIFA intl games would have the same as WC, but maybe not.

Or...maybe they did this previously.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
AgGrad99 said:

bagger05 said:

Soccer has flexible dimensions for the size of the field but I think for the World Cup it's a much tighter tolerance. So whatever they can normally do is probably fine for regular tournaments but maybe it needs to be bigger for the WC?
interesting. I know about flexible dims, but you'd think all FIFA intl games would have the same as WC, but maybe not.
Long story short, the higher level the match, the less flexible the dimensions get.

UEFA stadium categories

UEFA Champions league pitches must be 115 yards by 74 yards.
PatAg
AG
bagger05 said:

Mathguy64 said:

FIFA allows for artificial surfaces but I cannot imagine they would select host sites with them for the Mens WC. Places like Houston or Dallas will need to bring in grass on top of the artificial. They do have restrictions on seating. Each seat must be individual and benches are not allowed. For those hoping Kyle Field gets a host I'm afraid without tearing out the bleachers it's impossible.

Dallas is going to also have to raise the level of the playing surface to make it wide enough.
I'll see if I can find the link, but they had two different plans in place when the stadium was built for specifically this purpose.

Two different heights and widths they can raise the field too, and a plan to bring the natural grass and sod in much further in advance than they do for friendlies

Twitter thread summary
PatAg
AG

Also pretty neat, they can essentially slide the seats closer together and gain about 15,000 more seats
wangus12
AG
PatAg said:

bagger05 said:

Mathguy64 said:

FIFA allows for artificial surfaces but I cannot imagine they would select host sites with them for the Mens WC. Places like Houston or Dallas will need to bring in grass on top of the artificial. They do have restrictions on seating. Each seat must be individual and benches are not allowed. For those hoping Kyle Field gets a host I'm afraid without tearing out the bleachers it's impossible.

Dallas is going to also have to raise the level of the playing surface to make it wide enough.
I'll see if I can find the link, but they had two different plans in place when the stadium was built for specifically this purpose.

Two different heights and widths they can raise the field too, and a plan to bring the natural grass and sod in much further in advance than they do for friendlies

Twitter thread summary

Very few pitches ever have an 80 yard wide field. In fact, every stadium in the last 2 World Cups went 105m (115yd) x 68m (74yds).
PatAg
AG
bagger05
AG
Announcement coming up after the break on FS1.
PatAg
AG
At least the long intro this has a lot of cool highlights
PatAg
AG
Always interesting that they just go with Dallas, when its really DFW when you look at the bid
KCup17
AG
Quit blabbing and just announce the cities
Mathguy64
AG
FIFA makes the IOC look like naive children when it comes to shaking people down. I wonder what these cities have to fork over.
PatAg
AG
I've heard Seattle has plans to install natural grass as well.

Going to be interesting to see these stadiums actually have no events in the 1-2 months before the World Cup that year
bagger05
AG
WEST:
Vancouver
Seattle
San Francisco Bay Area
Los Angeles (SoFi)
Guadalajara
bagger05
AG
No mention of the Rose Bowl
PatAg
AG
It's actually kind of cool that we did this bid as North America.
PatAg
AG

This is a wild statistic
Mathguy64
AG
Triple the countries and you triple the vig.
bagger05
AG
CENTRAL:
Kansas City
Dallas
Atlanta
Houston
Monterrey
Mexico City
PatAg
AG
Texas deserved both cities
Mathguy64
AG
Central and Atlanta go together like… yeah no they don't.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Houston and Dallas
RebAg13
AG
Boom
We are the Aggies, The Aggies are We
PatAg
AG
DIRK !
Texaggie7nine
Ok so how do I get my Houston tix?
7nine
Mathguy64
AG
Man I really was hoping Deshaun had prefilmed a spot 4 months ago.
Rudyjax
AG
Y'all realize they showed the cities on that preview before the announcement.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Dallas with Dirk, Luca, Clint Dempsey, and Dak was awesome

(for reference Atlanta had Brad Guzan)
Jim01
AG
Yeah what the hell is that? Atlanta is central?

Also where is Becky G come from? Neither me nor my kids really know her from much other than Encanto, but sometime in the last year she struck a deal with the devil and is every commercial under the planet and just appears as a personality on everything!
DeangeloVickers
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Man I really was hoping Deshaun had prefilmed a spot 4 months ago.
Great place for a massage

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.