* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,654 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JJxvi said:

Since none of you are going to do it....Pefok = Devid Regis!!!!
I wonder if he's still married to her.

jeffk
AG
Fair enough. I just know that I'd put more stock on guys posting here than any of those Twitter accounts you quoted. So yeah, when I said that the only place *I'd* heard it was here, I wasn't including Twitter minnows that aren't on my radar.
deadbq03
AG
PatAg said:

fig96 said:

deadbq03 said:

The issue for me has always been about fit, and I'm absolutely speculating, but I have a hard time believing that guys like Aaronson and Adams who are fired up to be representing the US in Europe are super thrilled working with a guy whose mom didn't want him to raise him here and whose family didn't understand/support his choice to join the USMNT. A guy who's just here because we're way better than Cameroon and a France call-up seemed highly unlikely.
How is that much different than Tillman, Musah, Jedi, etc.?
I would guess there is no difference for him.
Yeah there's really not much difference and I can't wait for the day when we don't have to get guys like this.

But y'all know I'm a moronic body language guy. If guys like Jedi and Musah can come in and give 100% and look like they want to be there - they'll win me over, and those two certainly have.

Pefok and Tillman have looked lost/unmotivated and were fringe call-ups to begin with. I'd even argue that Dest isn't giving 100, but he's so much better than Yedlin, I can hold my nose and accept it. But I do secretly dream of Scally pushing him out of the starting job.
Rudyjax
AG
I can't wait until Pulisic scores the game winner against Wales and England and rips his shirt off post game of course, and points to his American eagle American flag tattoo.

And those garbage Chelsea fans can esad.
OregonAggie
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Ggg had better get out of round play or his ass is fired, especially when he leaves a premier league captain and the leading goal scorer in a top 5 league off the squad.

Not sure how Pepi got a place and Pefok didn't. As far as Ream goes, I've just never been impressed with him. Too slow. His leadership is great but I'd rather see a younger guy get a chance.
He's been poor because Ggg doesn't play to his strengths.

That's fine if it works. If he leaves a PL team captain off the team and we struggle, tons of second guessing from fans to US soccer leadership.

I may have read it here, or twitter, or on the interwebs elsewhere, but Pefok may be a chemistry/coaching issue as he doesn't speak English well and there are no French speakers on the team. Maybe Dest. But that's 1.

But, i'd rather have Pefok over Arriola or Morris, even if we include Pepi.

We for sure agree on Pefok as Arriola and Morris just aren't near his level.

I've seen Ream play a lot, in the EPL and also for the USMNT…never been impressed. To me he's just another guy so it doesn't matter if he's there or not. For the record, I feel that way about most of our CBs. We consistently had really good CBs until 4-6 years ago IMO
Bryan98
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

I can't wait until Pulisic scores the game winner against Wales and England and rips his shirt off post game of course, and points to his American eagle American flag tattoo.

We have more of a rivalry with Wales than Iran?
Rudyjax
AG
Bryan98 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

We have more of a rivalry with Wales than Iran?

No Chelsea fans in Iran.
Furlock Bones
AG
things in Qatar are going great.

tysker
AG
Furlock Bones said:

things in Qatar are going great.

two months out? when do we start getting Fyre Fest comparisons?

PatAg
AG
OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Ggg had better get out of round play or his ass is fired, especially when he leaves a premier league captain and the leading goal scorer in a top 5 league off the squad.

Not sure how Pepi got a place and Pefok didn't. As far as Ream goes, I've just never been impressed with him. Too slow. His leadership is great but I'd rather see a younger guy get a chance.

That's fine if it works. If he leaves a PL team captain off the team and we struggle, tons of second guessing from fans to US soccer leadership.

I may have read it here, or twitter, or on the interwebs elsewhere, but Pefok may be a chemistry/coaching issue as he doesn't speak English well and there are no French speakers on the team. Maybe Dest. But that's 1.

I've seen Ream play a lot, in the EPL and also for the USMNT…never been impressed. To me he's just another guy so it doesn't matter if he's there or not. For the record, I feel that way about most of our CBs. We consistently had really good CBs until 4-6 years ago IMO
I don't believe Pefok is in competition for a spot with Arriola and Morris both.
MAYBE you consider taking a 4th forward and leaving one of Arriola or Morris off, but I dunno about that.
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

I don't believe Pefok is in competition for a spot with Arriola and Morris both.
MAYBE you consider taking a 4th forward and leaving one of Arriola or Morris off, but I dunno about that.

That's what we're saying. Sargent can play the 9 and the 7 or 11.
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
Based on my observations, I fell like I'd rather bring 4 strikers/forwards and leave Morris home. What he provides (bigger and more physical winger off the bench), Sargent can provide as necessary.

I don't consider Ream a snub. He's too slow for elite international competition at this point. If there's going to be a post WC controversy regarding a snubbed CB, it's going to be Brooks, not Ream.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

I agree with what you're saying as Pefok is a forward and not a winger. Then again, Sargent typically plays as a winger for Norwich but plays as a 9 for us…not sure if Berhalter is going to continue that or think of him as a winger.

I would hope that Arriola and Morris aren't even involved in the final roster though as we already have Pulisic, Reyna, Weah, and Aaronson. I'd slot Sargent out there and start Ferreira or Pefok as the 9. Maybe view Sargent as a guy that can play both spots if needed because I think we're in a bad spot if we're depending on him as our starting striker. He just isn't there yet.

We're so bad as far as forwards go this time around. Ferreira is the top guy IMO but he plays in a lower league, Pefok hasn't impressed with a USMNT jersey on but he's doing great right now, Sargent hasn't ever been consistent enough even though we've desperately wanted him to be, Haji Wright is ok, and Pepi has been in no man's land since his move to Europe…bottom line is that Pefok has to be on the team in Qatar.
PatAg
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Sargent is not getting playing time at the 7 or 11 at the international level. He may play it at his club sometimes, but not well.
My opinion of course, and for the record I would have Pefok on the roster easily.
deadbq03
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

Based on my observations, I fell like I'd rather bring 4 strikers/forwards and leave Morris home. What he provides (bigger and more physical winger off the bench), Sargent can provide as necessary.

I don't consider Ream a snub. He's too slow for elite international competition at this point. If there's going to be a post WC controversy regarding a snubbed CB, it's going to be Brooks, not Ream.
I'm obviously very biased here in light of my Pefok rants, but I don't understand the angst over John Brooks.

His dip in form at age 29 makes no sense, but it's undeniable. His ratings for Wolfsburg were bad last year. He got a lot of starts still because they lacked better options due to injury, and the proof came clear in them having their worst table finish in many years and Wolfsburg didn't want to renew his contract.

He was available for free and spent the whole summer looking for a team. He found a good team in Benfica, but he's clearly just a backup for them. Early days so I'll admit that could change, but he's got 1 appearance for them so far and that's as an 89' sub. We would need to see a lot more playing time pretty soon before we should even entertain the idea of including him in the WC.

Ggg gets a lot wrong, and leaving John Brooks out seemed like a mistake this time last year… but I think JB's club circumstances over the past year are revealing that ggg got it right. For whatever reason, it seems like his best footballing days are behind him, which is truly sad and confusing considering he's just 29.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I think it's time to move on here.
jeffk
AG
Interesting read from Pulisic on a couple of experiences playing under TT at Chelsea:

https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/2022/09/20/pulisic-claims-tuchel-misled-him-about-starting-champions-league-game-vs-real-madrid/
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Ken Scarborough said:

PatAg said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

OregonAggie said:

Ken Scarborough said:

Sargent is not getting playing time at the 7 or 11 at the international level. He may play it at his club sometimes, but not well.
My opinion of course, and for the record I would have Pefok on the roster easily.

He played on the outside in the best league in the world. He can play there in a pinch.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Interesting read from Pulisic on a couple of experiences playing under TT at Chelsea:

https://prosoccerwire.usatoday.com/2022/09/20/pulisic-claims-tuchel-misled-him-about-starting-champions-league-game-vs-real-madrid/

He keeps bagging on Tuchel the Chelsea fans may hate him more.
Rudyjax
AG
I know we're talkin practice, but this was nice.

deadbq03
AG
Man I need your kind of luck… Come on here and assert that Sargent can play the 11 and then they drop that sweet video for you.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Man I need your kind of luck… Come on here and assert that Sargent can play the 11 and then they drop that sweet video for you.

To be fair, I've been saying this since the foster dropped.
deadbq03
AG
I wasn't criticizing if that's what you think. I probably got it wrong based on time zones but my interpretation was entirely positive… you posted, and then twitter gave an example that supported what you said.

I genuinely wish that would happen to me. Probably doesn't cause I'd have to start with a reasonable assertion, and most of mine are hot garbage.
Rudyjax
AG
Oh I know! No worries.
KCup17
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

I honestly think Chelsea fans feel the same way as Pulisic. Tuchel consistently made strange and irrational tactical changes. I have a couple friends that support Chelsea heavily and they agreed that Tuchel's undoing was his incessant tinkering.

Now Chelsea fans seem to always find non-English players as scapegoats so regardless I think they will find and issue with Pulisic. But that sums up how English fans feel about non-english/non-academy products.
Hey...so.. um
KCup17 said:

Ken Scarborough said:

jeffk said:

I honestly think Chelsea fans feel the same way as Pulisic. Tuchel consistently made strange and irrational tactical changes. I have a couple friends that support Chelsea heavily and they agreed that Tuchel's undoing was his incessant tinkering.

Now Chelsea fans seem to always find non-English players as scapegoats so regardless I think they will find and issue with Pulisic. But that sums up how English fans feel about non-english/non-academy products.

I could have misread the initial post here, but I thought he was saying Chelsea fans may hate Tuchel worse if CP keeps bagging on him. Could be wrong.
Dre_00
If Sargent is playing on the wings, then we aren't in a pinch...we're in a full-on vise and our eyes are popping out.
Rudyjax
AG
Dre_00 said:

If Sargent is playing on the wings, then we aren't in a pinch...we're in a full-on vise and our eyes are popping out.

I'd rather have him out there than Morris or Arriola.
OregonAggie
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

Dre_00 said:

I'd rather have him out there than Morris or Arriola.

I'll second that notion.
PatAg
AG

While this is wild, this could have been a bold Home jersey.
PatAg
AG

Excellent interview, cool to learn more about Luca's life
KCup17
AG
You may be right... I read it as the fans would hate CP more after his comments. And I do know that Chelsea fans aren't too impressed with CP this season.
jeffk
AG
Japan game thread is up.
jeffk
AG
If you need some more clothing to critique, here's a summary of all the pre-match warm-up shirts that have been released so far. Croatia's is probably my favorite of the bunch.

https://www.soccerbible.com/performance/football-apparel/2022/09/all-2022-world-cup-pre-match-jerseys-released-so-far/
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

You may be right... I read it as the fans would hate CP more after his comments. And I do know that Chelsea fans aren't too impressed with CP this season.
I was being sarcastic. Many many fans are blaming CP for Tuchel's sacking.

tysker
AG
PatAg said:

Excellent interview, cool to learn more about Luca's life
"I have resting ***** face i guess.... I do have emotions though"

With Luca, Gio, CP and even guys like Weah and Aaronson its so amazing we have this many players that can beat you off the dribble. These guys would have been so dangerous in the the Arena/Bradley counterattacking style

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.