* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,627 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I guess if we really want to expose the world to somewhere that adequately represents American culture, Arlington fits that bill.
tysker
AG
There is a Hooters, BWW, Chik fila,Wingstop, and Popeyes within walking distance
akm91
AG
If true, surprised they didn't put it in LA in the new SoFi stadium.
Dre_00
I agree. The concept of the rule is pretty solid. Ultimately, as long as there isn't money changing hands and some minimum residency requirement is fulfilled, I think having greater choice of who you can represent at the international level is better than less.
PatAg
AG
Lets all agree to try to reset our mentals before the end of October, we know we will all be excited when the World Cup actually starts. No point in spending a month being miserable, lol
PatAg
AG
PatAg said:

Lets all agree to try to reset our mentals before the end of October, we know we will all be excited when the World Cup actually starts. No point in spending a month being miserable, lol
On that note of being positive, I am looking forward to Gregg not being the manager anymore.
OregonAggie
AG
PatAg said:

PatAg said:

On that note of being positive, I am looking forward to Gregg not being the manager anymore.

Congratulations on overreacting to 2 games.
tysker
AG
PatAg said:

PatAg said:

I too look forward to complaining about the incompetency of the next guy
PatAg
AG
tysker said:

PatAg said:

PatAg said:

I too look forward to complaining about the incompetency of the next guy
It's similar to the A&M backup QB being the solution.
The next USMNT manager will always fall short
PatAg
AG

If they aren't confident and tentative, its because you are trying to play a system taht doesnt work
PatAg
AG
I have to believe that when we get to the World Cup, one way or another, we wont be attempting this possession based build out of the back at all costs. These players have proven they can win ugly, and I think/hope there is a chance we will rely on that. Or at least fall back on that.
Play direct when you need to or the other team dares you too. Use our youth and athleticism, our tenacity. Win free kicks and execute on set pieces. Choose the right players (uh oh)

Gregg just has to get out of his own way
jeffk
AG
Do we have the talent to do well in the WC? Yes!
Did these two friendlies undermine my confidence that they'll do that? Definitely!
Will I talk myself back into optimism sometime between now and the opening match? Absolutely!
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Did these two friendlies undermine my confidence that they'll do that? Definitely!
Will I talk myself back into optimism sometime between now and the opening match? Absolutely!
Optimist point, this is a VERY young team with no world cup experience. Young teams are inconistent by nature, and maybe they were all really feeling the looming roster cuts (even if some must know they are locks)
So we could see a MUCH different team in the WC, which often happend during qualifying.
jeffk
AG
I sort of understand guys not on the roster cut line not getting jazzed about these two friendlies at neutral sites in front of almost no fans. I don't necessarily like it, but I understand it. Fingers crossed there'll be some extra energy and more sharp execution in Qatar.
texagbeliever
PatAg said:

jeffk said:

Optimist point, this is a VERY young team with no world cup experience. Young teams are inconistent by nature, and maybe they were all really feeling the looming roster cuts (even if some must know they are locks)
So we could see a MUCH different team in the WC, which often happend during qualifying.
A surprise twist the USMNT is just like the Texas A&M! replace WC with MNC. And friendlies with non-SEC games. Sigh.
Bryan98
AG
I got an email from the new US Soccer CEO/ Secretary General today. I told him to fix the damn jerseys.
schmendeler
AG
wangus12
AG
CD always shoots straight
PatAg
AG

I think we talked about this earlier, but Pefok definitely doesn't speak English and it seems like he needs translation to understand it fully as well.
I'm not sure if that is enough reason to leave a player off, but I don't thik its entirely unreasonable either. You have to be able to communicate to some degree.

For someone who is pouring in goals in the Bundesliga, I might consider hiring a translator at this point.
PatAg
AG
https://halfspaces.com/hello-darkness-my-old-friend/

Good read
PatAg
AG
Has anyone found a good article, or explanation, for why so few teams run 2 strikers anymore?
I believe there is an aspect of losing the numbers game in the midfield, but I'm not convinced it would just lose out automatically.
Dre_00
JJxvi
AG
OregonAggie
AG
JJxvi said:

That's a great video.
deadbq03
AG
Thanks for sharing, that's an awesome video. I've suggested that we need to stop trying to have a proper 9, but I've always said it in the context of staying in our 4-3-3.

I'm now convinced we're not even using the best formation. We need to do the 4-4-2 variant that he talks about around 1:50. Put CP and Weah up top and then Reyna and Aaronson as the wingers. Let them be fluid and create.

Adams/McKennie in the middle when we need to be balanced. Adams/Acosta if we need to be defensive and playing for set pieces (Acosta) might be the only way to score.

Musah/McKennie tandem when we need to be positive and break a team down.

I know I'm a moron so it probably wouldn't work, and I know it doesn't matter what I want anyways because ggg gonna ggg, but this is what I'd do.
tysker
AG
deadbq03 said:

I'm now convinced we're not even using the best formation. We need to do the 4-4-2 variant that he talks about around 1:50. Put CP and Weah up top and then Reyna and Aaronson as the wingers. Let them be fluid and create.
More like a 4222 that can transition to a 352
The problem is, imo, that we dont have the defenders to play a three man back line the way I think both the fans and GGG want
jeffk
AG
Great breakdown on what we're seeing or not seeing with the USMNT currently. In particular, I agree with his points 1-2: we need Good Weston back for the WC and we *may* have already gotten peak Pulisic (which is sad).

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/the-fundamental-questions-the-usmnt-must-answer-before-the-world-cup
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

Thanks for sharing, that's an awesome video. I've suggested that we need to stop trying to have a proper 9, but I've always said it in the context of staying in our 4-3-3.

Adams/McKennie in the middle when we need to be balanced. Adams/Acosta if we need to be defensive and playing for set pieces (Acosta) might be the only way to score.

Musah/McKennie tandem when we need to be positive and break a team down.

I know I'm a moron so it probably wouldn't work, and I know it doesn't matter what I want anyways because ggg gonna ggg, but this is what I'd do.
I do think, currently, our wingers dont really consistently play the way they need to with a false 9
They arent really often making runs into the space Jesus, or whoever is up there, is providing as they move around and drag the CBs.
Pulisic has this tendency to try to get on the ball too often, and Aaronson does this as well but it suits his strengths more.
Weah is much more effective, because he will make his own runs off of what the 9 is doing, and honestly so does Arriola (just less skilled with the ball)
Reyna is also not going to be consistently making those runs in behind, its just not his strengths as a player.

All of this is just square pegs round hole Berhalter ball, as we have seen it so far.

Its frustrating, because then you watch the U20s play, and its just so much more fluid..and its not like they are somehow magically better players than our national team.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Great breakdown on what we're seeing or not seeing with the USMNT currently. In particular, I agree with his points 1-2: we need Good Weston back for the WC and we *may* have already gotten peak Pulisic (which is sad).

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/the-fundamental-questions-the-usmnt-must-answer-before-the-world-cup
I do like Doyle's writings, though like anything I dont always agree with everything he says. He does often include a bit of trolling of parts of the fanbase when it comes to MLS vs Europe, and he has always seemed to have something against Pulisic beyond just his form on the field. So I have always taken any criticism there with a grain of salt.
Pulisic was going by people on the ball in the first 15-20 minutes of the game, from what I remember at least.
deadbq03
AG
I don't disagree with you overall given the current state of how they play for the US, but I think if ggg had given up on finding a proper 9 months ago that we might have the requisite fluidity/creativity to make such a scheme work if we trained for it.

Aaronson is all over the pitch for Leeds. Reyna (when healthy) is for Dortmund. CP has shined in his limited false-9 play for Chelsea. And as you mention, Weah is just a stud (I don't watch his club ever so I can't comment there).

I think if we'd been working on it, it would be our best system. Switching now would be stupid, so this is more of a lament than a suggestion.
jeffk
AG
His main gig is writing about MLS, so yeah, he definitely enjoys teasing the anti-MLS contingent of the USMNT fanbase, but I think it's mostly in good fun.

If he has some ax to grind against Pulisic, I haven't seen it come across in his tweets or writings. I think he's critical of his play, but some of that is deserved. I did like what I saw from him and Weston in particular during the first 15 minutes yesterday. They took people on, got into good spaces and forced duels with their dribbling... but also, CP seems hesitant and goes missing for long stretches of matches too. Some of that could be that these friendlies were largely meaningless to him (and some of the other stars on the squad) and hopefully that disappears as we play in Qatar. I do wonder how his mentality is lately - the Chelsea situation seems to have worn on him in a way. IDK, it's easy to get lost in the body language "analysis" so I try to avoid it altogether. He has a tendency to drop too deep and miss out on attacking situations, but some of that could be due to trying to help out a struggling midfield or a lack of real definition of roles in GB's all-important SYSTEM(!!!!).
PatAg
AG
deadbq03 said:

I don't disagree with you overall given the current state of how they play for the US, but I think if ggg had given up on finding a proper 9 months ago that we might have the requisite fluidity/creativity to make such a scheme work if we trained for it.

Aaronson is all over the pitch for Leeds. Reyna (when healthy) is for Dortmund. CP has shined in his limited false-9 play for Chelsea. And as you mention, Weah is just a stud (I don't watch his club ever so I can't comment there).

I think if we'd been working on it, it would be our best system. Switching now would be stupid, so this is more of a lament than a suggestion.
I thought that Pulisic had struggled as a false 9, but to be fair to him, Chelsea as a whole has struggled.
I feel like Pulisic is at his best when they get him the ball in pockets of space and he has the ability to either run at defenders or find open players.
my comments about players were more in the context of how gregg currently tries to play...I dont think our winger pool's strengths play to it..and same with our central midfield.

It's hard to have much optimism about the World Cup unless Gregg makes some adaptations. He doesnt even have to make wholesale changes, which I would have preferred a year ago but is probably too late to do now. But he can definitely tweak it quite a bit and we could expect results
PatAg
AG
I see it more in his tweets, which could just be mostly intended to troll the trolls
deadbq03
AG
Good points.

I do like Pulisic better when he cuts inside and beats people. Crossing doesn't seem to be a strength (nor set pieces and the two are correlated IMO). I wonder how he'd be as a 10?
PatAg
AG
I may not be a premier league manager, but it seems to me like we should have two central midfielders dropping deeper to provide options for our backline, and to get on the ball.
Then you'd have a more attacking minded central midfield, the 9, and both wingers for them to have as options, in addition to the outside backs moving forward.

There is not enough interplay or variety in what our team tries to do, and so often the ball goes to a midfielder whos only real option is to just play it back to the CB. Everything is too static, or seemingly dependent on specific passing sequences happening.
I feel like oftentimes we have too many players occupying the same space, and making it easy for one player to defend them.

To me all of the issues we all complain about primarily go back to the manager, which is tough at this point in the cycle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.