* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

163,777 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tysker said:

feels like we may be setting up for three man back line during one of the games

Long - Zimmerman - Ream
Dest - Tyler - Musah - Weston
Gio/Weah - Ferriera - CP
You're going to play Tyler as a wingback? If we go with 3 man backline, I think we'd have to sacrifice Weston.

------ CCV - Zimmerman - Ream
------ Dest - Tyler - Musah - Jedi
------------------ Gio - CP
------------------ Sargent

tysker
AG
akm91 said:

tysker said:

feels like we may be setting up for three man back line during one of the games

Long - Zimmerman - Ream
Dest - Tyler - Musah - Weston
Gio/Weah - Ferriera - CP
You're going to play Tyler as a wingback? If we go with 3 man backline, I think we'd have to sacrifice Weston.

CCV - Zimmerman - Ream
Dest - Tyler - Musah - Jedi
Gio - CP
Sargent

Was thinking Tyler still in his defensive midfielder role playing coverage for Dest and Musah when they move up. Sort of a 3-2-2-2-1 That being said I like your setup more, forgot about Jedi. I want to find a way to Weah on the field and I'm still not really sure where to fit Weston into all of this. Totally willing to leave him off. Except for set pieces, I think there are other players that can do what he does and fit better into the system
oh no
AG
Greggg has experimented a couple of times with a 3 man back line and it has gone very poorly .. was it an away loss to El Salvardor in qualifying or something? It's just not what we do.. now is not the time to be ****ing around to find out. Ream is LCB where's been playing the most at Fulham... we're in trouble with Miles and Richards both hurt for Qatar at CB... I thought McKenzie has been better across last years GC and Nations League and WCQs than Long, who was out for all of that and hasn't been good in the couple of friendlies in Sept, but that is Greggg's choice.

also, if we're going to plan on trying a 3 man back line vs Wales or Iran in Qatar, then why not roster more attacking full back to play in the wing back position like Shaq Moore - much better attacker than Cannon or Yedlin.
akm91
AG
I would love to see Weah, Gio and CP as the trident in the 3-4-2-1 but I just dont' see Berhalter doing that.
KCup17
AG
I saw somewhere that he is left off the roster.
deadbq03
AG
It's been a long time (Gold cup, I think) since ggg employed a true 3 man back. This was back when he used Sands as the center CB. That's the last time I recall us employing a "real" 3 man back.

More recently, he's just had systems where 1 FB attacks and the other stays back to defend. He's done this with Cannon staying back on the right, and Vines staying back on the left. I don't count those as being a "3 man back" - I count that as being a 4 man back line, but not wanting to see your mediocre FB get burned on defense so you keep him back.

The difference in formations at the top of this page highlights the difference. A proper 3 man back has 3 CBs and 2 WBs like what akm91 is doing. We haven't seen that in a long time.

We have seen plenty of 4 man backs that look like 3 man backs because one crappy FB has to stay back to not get burned.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

I saw somewhere that he is left off the roster.
Right. i don't understand why people are worried/concerned/upset about him not being rostered.
KCup17
AG
Yeah I'm not too worried. I don't think Steffen has been all that great for the last year or more
aggiephoenix02
Steffen being moved from keeper to left out is no big deal…
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
The Scuffed podcast has been saying for a month or so they wouldn't be surprised for Steffen to be "out with a slight back injury" if he wasn't going to be rostered as the clear cut starter. In other words, if Berhalter told him Turner was the projected starter, Steffen may have opted out. I don't agree with that choice, but backup GKers rarely play, and Steffen may think it's better for his career to take a break and continue on trying to establish himself with his club. I had been assuming for the last several years he was our No. 1 guy for the foreseeable future, but I think he's just a depth guy at this point. Turner is better (currently), and you have a potential star coming up (Gaga).

This reminds me of 94. Keller was one of our best GKs, but young, and didn't see eye to eye w Bora. He wasn't on the WC roster, but obviously still became a mainstay afterwards.
PatAg
AG

Maybe this ends up actually being pretty cool, but this seems like a nightmare scenario on the surface

Positive would be close proximity to a lot of other fans?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
$200/night to live in a completely dry man camp.

Hard pass.
Rudyjax
AG
WTF is he on top of the Empire State Building?

oh no
AG
they must be filming or shooting some promotion/advertisement that features some patriotic/famous USA landmarks
deadbq03
AG
Good lord, it's a dressed-up FOB. You can even see the concrete security walls in the background.

As someone who's been in a FOB twice, I don't know why anyone would want to travel there.

This ought to be the easiest travel boycott ever. Watch the matches on TV and don't give Qatar your money.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I am staying in those sheds for two nights. I will report after it's over.
My price was $USD 414.73 for the two nights. There is really not any other options. The hotels are going for 1000s of dollars a night. The first 5 days I'm in a cruise ship, but even that seems like it will be interesting.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

WTF is he on top of the Empire State Building?

he comes off as less likable each time I see him.
Rudyjax
AG
Meh...it's how you feel about him. It's like Jimbo. The way he acts now was nice when we were winning. Now it's maddening.
jeffk
AG
Eh, like 95% of professional coaches come across as mostly arrogant ******s. The 5% who don't are just really good actors.
jeffk
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

I am staying in those sheds for two nights. I will report after it's over.
My price was $USD 414.73 for the two nights. There is really not any other options. The hotels are going for 1000s of dollars a night. The first 5 days I'm in a cruise ship, but even that seems like it will be interesting.

When you get conscripted into the Russian army and sent to Ukraine, don't come crying to us.
OregonAggie
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

Pleasantly surprised to see Ream if accurate, and I think Cannon is a good depth choice considering how thin we are at fullback.
We're thin at left back and Cannon doesn't solve that.

Can't Scally play both LB and RB? I thought I read that somewhere but I'll admit to not knowing this to be the truth.

If Jedi went down to injury, I'd be completely fine with Dest over there.
oh no
AG
OregonAggie said:

akm91 said:

Quote:

Pleasantly surprised to see Ream if accurate, and I think Cannon is a good depth choice considering how thin we are at fullback.
We're thin at left back and Cannon doesn't solve that.

Can't Scally play both LB and RB? I thought I read that somewhere but I'll admit to not knowing this to be the truth.

If Jedi went down to injury, I'd be completely fine with Dest over there.
Yes. Scally is naturally a RB, but has presented himself well at LB in the Bundesliga at times. Can play both. Dest is also most comfortable naturally at RB, plays some winger and wing-back on the right side sometimes too, but has played a bit of LB for USMNT when needed and presented himself well. With Vines injured, these two are the only options behind Jedi expected on the Qatar roster.. Not bad, but no other natural regular left backs. Well, Ream has played some LB in his career and would be the LCB in a three-man back line if we use it, but he mostly plays LCB in a four man back line at Fulham.
akm91
AG
With Dest, Yedlin and Scally you have 3 natural RB with Dest and Scally capable to deputize at LB as depth behind Jedi. My comment was that Cannon can't play LB so he doesn't really do much for overall FB depth since we're talking 4th RB.

You're absolutely correct that Scally is capable and has played LB with his club.
PatAg
AG
We only have one true LB on the team, and no one that can really recreate what he provides specifically.
Not that he is world class by any means.
jeffk
AG
Richard's just scored again.
Dre_00
I'm far from a construction expert but it doesn't appear those "rooms" have any sort of plumbing or cooling mechanism.

I'm guessing mostly on the plumbing based on the temporary nature of...the entire fan village. And I don't see any signs of A/C units. It's going to be 90 degrees in the day time and 75 at night. In a metal box.
PatAg
AG
jeffk said:

Richard's just scored again.
?
akm91
AG
Richards isn't even on the bench for the match. I'm confused as well
OregonAggie
AG
Is Jeff day drinking again???
jeffk
AG
Ugh, sorry. Meant Tillman, typed Richards.

jeffk
AG
OregonAggie said:

Is Jeff day drinking again???

I wish that was my excuse. Helping with math homework.
PatAg
AG
Already tired of hearing Jack Harlow talk, but I get thats its to appeal to young kids
PatAg
AG
Why is a british person hosting this...
PatAg
AG
Steffen officially off
Out in Left Field
AG
Wow really no Zach Steffen

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.