* Official World Cup 2022 Thread *

164,034 Views | 2610 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jeffk
akm91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Arriola not being in the roster is crappy, not as bad as Klinnsman leaving Landon at home, but pretty crappy…
Guess the thinking is Tilman, Roldan and Sargent can all play on the wing in a pinch. Nice to see 5 MF's on the roster with additional 4 that can play there (Reyna, Aaronson, Roldan and Tillman)

Assuming Cannon is there as the 3rd RB and the 5th CB.

There's a lot of flexibility with the roster.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
PatAg
AG
its funny watching all the scum scramble to post 'leaked' rosters on twitter
akm91
AG
oh no said:

roster exclusions due to injury or gregg

GK: Horvath
CB: Miles (injury), Richards (injury?), McKenzie (injury), Brooks, Miazga
LB: Vines (injury?), Bello
RB: Shaq Moore
MF: Busio, Lletget, Sands,
F: Arriola, Morris, Haji Wright, Pefok, Hoppe, Konrad,
Miles, Richards and Vines are definite injury exclusions. Don't think McKenzie is injured so he was left off.
DeangeloVickers
AG
PatAg said:

its funny watching all the scum scramble to post 'leaked' rosters on twitter

A Telemundo journalist who follows us soccer gave an interview on the radio and that's where most of the "leak" stems from
DeangeloVickers
AG

So can we allow Haaland? Lose three points next year and he still play with us?!?!? Because that's what happened at Ecuador
KCup17
AG
akm91 said:

oh no said:

roster exclusions due to injury or gregg

GK: Horvath
CB: Miles (injury), Richards (injury?), McKenzie (injury), Brooks, Miazga
LB: Vines (injury?), Bello
RB: Shaq Moore
MF: Busio, Lletget, Sands,
F: Arriola, Morris, Haji Wright, Pefok, Hoppe, Konrad,
Miles, Richards and Vines are definite injury exclusions. Don't think McKenzie is injured so he was left off.

Haven't seen Konrad feature for Olympiacos in a while so I'm assuming he's injured. Roldan and Long being on the plane is criminal. Neither bring anything to this team.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Roldan and Long being on the plane is criminal. Neither bring anything to this team.
Not too upset at Roldan on the team. You were going to get one of Aariola, Roldan or Morris on the plane. None of the three should see the field unless we get hit by the injury bug.

I personally prefer McKenzie but there isn't significantly much difference between the two when it comes to USMNT play. I'm perfectly happy with the tradeoff of having Ream on the team with Long than with Long and McKenzie on the team and not Ream.
Rudyjax
AG
I'm shocked he took a captain from a top half of the table Premier League team.

oh no
AG
was Ream even in the camp when they had those two intl friendlies? I didn't think greggg liked Ream, but I guess he couldn't deny him any longer.

what did Long show in those friendlies that proved he should be in Qatar?
akm91
AG
Other than Zimmermann, none of our center backs really showed anything when playing with USMNT.

Ream started in the Nations League final against Mexico, Costa Rica friendly right after that and the 1st WCQ against El Salvador. Zimmermann actually got into the squad when Ream pulled out of 2nd round of WCQ for family reasons.
Aston94
AG
Ream makes a lot of sense even if he doesn't fit Gregg's system. What if you have a 1-0 lead on England in the 75th minute and want to bring in a 3rd CD?

I think that is the role he will fill on the team. He is experienced, versatile and playing really well right now. Now, why hasn't he been invited to the team the last few camps? That's another question, but he deserves to go.

I am not sure what role Roldan serves and why we would need him on the roster. But I have never been impressed with his USMNT performances.
KCup17
AG
Roldan doesn't bring anything to the table except leadership. And even that is off field leadership. "Glue guy" or whatever GGG says. He brings very little to the squad and is a wasted roster spot if he is on the plane.
deadbq03
AG
1. Roldan subs on.
2. I never see him again.
fig96
AG
Pleasantly surprised to see Ream if accurate, and I think Cannon is a good depth choice considering how thin we are at fullback.

Little surprised with Tillman, he was a fringe guy that I wasn't sure we'd see.
PatAg
AG
Aston94 said:

Ream makes a lot of sense even if he doesn't fit Gregg's system. What if you have a 1-0 lead on England in the 75th minute and want to bring in a 3rd CD?

I think that is the role he will fill on the team. He is experienced, versatile and playing really well right now. Now, why hasn't he been invited to the team the last few camps? That's another question, but he deserves to go.

I am not sure what role Roldan serves and why we would need him on the roster. But I have never been impressed with his USMNT performances.
Roldan is one of those guys that is pretty good at his club, but just not quite good enough for the international level.
jeffk
AG
Happy Roster Release Day
OregonAggie
AG
It's being reported that Steffen didn't make the roster. I think a CBS guy said that and damn that would be hard to believe. I want Turner to start because he's looked the best to me but I didn't see Steffen getting left out.
Rudyjax
AG
OregonAggie said:

It's being reported that Steffen didn't make the roster. I think a CBS guy said that and damn that would be hard to believe. I want Turner to start because he's looked the best to me but I didn't see Steffen getting left out.

He may have opted out when he wasn't the starter.
Or conspiracy theory, they used the last keeper spot to help fil the MLS quota.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Pleasantly surprised to see Ream if accurate, and I think Cannon is a good depth choice considering how thin we are at fullback.
We're thin at left back and Cannon doesn't solve that.
deadbq03
AG
He doesn't provide depth at RB either IMO.

I can tolerate Roldan as a safe, boring depth choice.

Cannon is a liability.
tysker
AG
jeffk said:

Happy Roster Release Day
For those interested, Best Soccer Show having a Live show today at 4:30 CT to discuss the selection
Any other podcasts doing something similar?
oh no
AG
OregonAggie said:

that would be interesting... Steffen has been starting regularly at Middlesborough, while Matt Turner hasn't played much at Arsenal. I'd think these are our top two and both need to be in the squad in Qatar.
Rudyjax
AG
Personally, Steffan and his distribution scares the crap out of me.

I don't get it with him.

oh no
AG
RB: Dest, Yedlin, Cannon, Scalley,

LB: Jedi, ____ Dest or Scalley playing in their less natural position, Ream (LCB/LB too slow but at least can play out with his left foot well).

Where are all the left backs? Other than Jedi, we've been in LB purgatory since Demarcus Beasley aged out. Villafana didn't work out. I guess Vines is injured for Qatar but he's not the answer either. ..I think we need Jedi to be prepared to go full-90 in every match in Qatar. That's a lot to ask.
oh no
AG
Ken Scarborough said:

his distribution scares the crap out of me.

same.. but he's still in our top 3 and should be rostered, right?

Sean Johnson would not give me more confidence.
jeffk
AG
I've been in the "invade Canada to secure Alphonso Davies" train for a while.
tysker
AG
feels like we may be setting up for three man back line during one of the games

Long - Zimmerman - Ream
Dest - Tyler - Musah - Weston
Gio/Weah - Ferriera - CP
fig96
AG
oh no said:

RB: Dest, Yedlin, Cannon, Scalley,

LB: Jedi, ____ Dest or Scalley playing in their less natural position, Ream (LCB/LB too slow but at least can play out with his left foot well).

Where are all the left backs? Other than Jedi, we've been in LB purgatory since Demarcus Beasley aged out. Villafana didn't work out. I guess Vines is injured for Qatar but he's not the answer either. ..I think we need Jedi to be prepared to go full-90 in every match in Qatar. That's a lot to ask.
This is the actual answer. It's not like there's solid left backs we're not bringing. Worth the injuries Cannon is probably our next best choice.
akm91
AG
He's at best 3rd choice (maybe 4th) on this roster in my opinion. Think he provides emergency centerback and rightback depth.
deadbq03
AG
I'm putting my jump-to-conclusions-based-on-body-language hat on here, so this definitely just my dumb opinion - but Steffin strikes me as a guy who could potentially be a team cancer.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

Ken Scarborough said:

his distribution scares the crap out of me.

same.. but he's still in our top 3 and should be rostered, right?

Sean Johnson would not give me more confidence.
Yeah. But what're the odds we get to our third keeper?

Especially since we're only playing 3 matches.
akm91
AG
Scally should be Robinson's backup at LB. No sense having backups at both RB and LB having Dest slot into LB if Jedi can't go. Then you end up with suboptimal output at both positions. I'd rather have Scally at LB than Yedlin at RB if that's the choice.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

I'm putting my jump-to-conclusions-based-on-body-language hat on here, so this definitely just my dumb opinion - but Steffin strikes me as a guy who could potentially be a team cancer.
My theory is they used the 3rd keeper for an MLS player.
deadbq03
AG
akm91 said:

He's at best 3rd choice (maybe 4th) on this roster in my opinion. Think he provides emergency centerback and rightback depth.
I think he's clearly 4th.

I suppose at this point, he's a guy who knows the system and that counts for something. I have a feeling if we had one or two fewer injuries at CB, he wouldn't make the cut.
deadbq03
AG
akm91 said:

Scally should be Robinson's backup at LB. No sense having backups at both RB and LB having Dest slot into LB if Jedi can't go. Then you end up with suboptimal output at both positions. I'd rather have Scally at LB than Yedlin at RB if that's the choice.
Agree 100%. Scally has played LB against Bayern and didn't get destroyed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.