****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,862 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So if i understand they had 3 options....play that day; play the following morning; forfeit.

I am not 100% sure why they did not pick the following morning option....would have given them time to sleep and clear their head a bit more....

Edit: They should have been given the option to play today in my opinion. One full day off...
EconAg18
AG
I saw one of the players said they couldn't imagine having to go to their hotel and then be right back the next day to play. I think your idea would have been the best option, even if it would require adjusting the logistics of scheduling and travel. That's why they get paid the big bucks to do that
Mathguy64
AG
planoaggie123 said:

So if i understand they had 3 options....play that day; play the following morning; forfeit.

I am not 100% sure why they did not pick the following morning option....would have given them time to sleep and clear their head a bit more....

Edit: They should have been given the option to play today in my opinion. One full day off...

I'm not saying it was wrong, but Finland play Wednesday in Russia. That would give them one day of rest and travel. That's not fair to them. So now that game gets pushed back too. It dominoes the schedule in multiple ways.
planoaggie123
AG
EconAg18 said:

I saw one of the players said they couldn't imagine having to go to their hotel and then be right back the next day to play. I think your idea would have been the best option, even if it would require adjusting the logistics of scheduling and travel. That's why they get paid the big bucks to do that

Right. Not sure any more than 1 full day off would have been necessary given the positive news from the hospital. This is one time where they probably should have just said "sorry" to the fans that could not attend the "make-up" but pretty sure anyone from Denmark would be given today off anyways and the number of travelers from Finland were probably minimal....
planoaggie123
AG
Mathguy64 said:

planoaggie123 said:

I'm not saying it was wrong, but Finland play Wednesday in Russia. That would give them one day of rest and travel. That's not fair to them. So now that game gets pushed back too. It dominoes the schedule in multiple ways.

Good point. Tough situation....
wangus12
AG
I'd imagine that Finland wouldn't want to play today. They had to travel to Russia for their next game and if they play today, you lose out on on recovery because you need to get to the next city. Denmark is staying put in Copenhagen + they have an extra day before their next game.

Its a no win situation for UEFA or the teams. The game has to be played. I'm sure if both teams decided they wanted to make it a draw, they could have, but that would greatly jeopardize their chances of advancing and both those teams know it.

Maybe its a bit callous as well, but if Denmark had won the game (they certainly had chances to do so) then we'd be hearing Finland complaining about it instead of the Danes.
Legal Custodian
AG
EconAg18 said:

Wow, what the actual hell.

This is going to be a very heartless take on this, and I'm aware of that.

Sometimes that's the luck of the draw. Denmark had a player go down, Finland didn't. Part of dealing with rosters and sports is dealing with injuries and trauma. This is on the extreme and I understand that, Eriksen going down was terrible, but UEFA is in a pickle trying to get this tournament completed in a short amount of time. The conversation probably went like this:

UEFA: It sounds like he is okay now. What is better for you, finish tonight or tomorrow afternoon?
Denmark: Are there no other options?
UEFA: We can't make anything else work and push other games due to the schedule. If you can't get this to work, we unfortunately will have to mark it as a forfeit.

It's a ****ty situation, and I know it's easy to throw UEFA under the bus here, but I can't completely blame UEFA with their take on this.
heddleston
AG
Yep, sometimes things just stink and you gotta do what you can.
Legal Custodian
AG
Took too long to respond, it looks my take isn't that unpopular based on the the other posts.
bbry81
I don't blame Hera. But as a player I would've chose to play Sunday. By then you really know how he is doing and can concentrate a little more on the game.
wangus12
AG
And Own Goal strikes again
KCup17
AG
Lewandowski has been a little MIA, although the service he has been receiving has been less than ideal.
Legal Custodian
AG
KCup17 said:

Lewandowski has been a little MIA, although the service he has been receiving has been less than ideal.
And one of their midfielder's just got a second yellow. Poland just needs to hold on now.
wangus12
AG
Poland really does seem like one of those teams that can't put it together in major tournaments. Usually find ways to sabotage themselves with red cards and own goals
Legal Custodian
AG
Legal Custodian said:

KCup17 said:

And one of their midfielder's just got a second yellow. Poland just needs to hold on now.
And as soon as I post that, Slovakia scores to make it 2-1 in the 69th
wangus12
AG
Poland just put a great chance wide
gougler08
AG
wangus12 said:

Poland just put a great chance wide
They had 2-3 chances to tie that up...can't believe Lewandoski whiffed that header too
deadbq03
AG
Excited for this next one. Two of my favorite Leipzig players involved: Olmo for Spain and Forsberg for Sweden.

Added bonus: with Sergio Ramos and Zlatan out I won't feel compelled to actively root against either team.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Excited for this next one. Two of my favorite Leipzig players involved: Olmo for Spain and Forsberg for Sweden.

Added bonus: with Sergio Ramos and Zlatan out I won't feel compelled to actively root against either team.
There are few human beings that I hate more than Sergio Ramos. Maybe Alec Baldwin.

Zlatan being out is disappointing. He's fun to watch.

akm91
AG
You have to give Zlatan his dues because he backs up his schtick with performance on the field.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
planoaggie123
AG
Sweden is miserable right now....they can't get or hold on to the ball...
deadbq03
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Luckily for them, Spain can't seem to find the net. So many quality chances for Spain but the score is still 0-0.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

planoaggie123 said:

Luckily for them, Spain can't seem to find the net. So many quality chances for Spain but the score is still 0-0.
And Sweden misses an empty net.
KCup17
AG
Spain doesn't look like the Spain of old.
Mathguy64
AG
That was a lot of generational talent packed onto one team. They were never going to replicate that, at least not quickly.
Mathguy64
AG
Sweden with 16% possession. I'm not sure I have ever seen it that lopsided before.

I'm also reminded of the old quote. Possession without penetration is masturbation. And Spain ain't penetrating.
KCup17
AG
Oh for sure but I'm still surprised that with all this talent they are wildly under performing.
Mathguy64
AG
6 minutes for what???
Mathguy64
AG
The Swedish GK has stood on his head today.
deadbq03
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Sweden with 16% possession. I'm not sure I have ever seen it that lopsided before.

I'm also reminded of the old quote. Possession without penetration is masturbation. And Spain ain't penetrating.
917 passes with 90% accuracy.

Maybe if they were less accurate with their passes, one of them would've slipped into the goal.
Max Power
AG
Didn't catch the Scotland/CR game this morning, Schick 50 yard score, ridiculous, kept showing it all day.

Poland/Slovakia, pretty ugly game, Krychowiak didn't deserve both of those cards in my opinion, but Poland was getting away with hard hits all game long. Kudos to Slovakia for staying with it, they were getting hammered on the field. They are sitting solo with 3 points at the top of the group.

Spain/Sweden, that's a really nice point for Sweden. Statistically Spain dominated but Swedish keeper was out of his mind today, what a game by him!

Tomorrow's a big day. Germany/France and Portugal/Hungary.
gougler08
AG
Max Power said:

Didn't catch the Scotland/CR game this morning, Schick 50 yard score, ridiculous, kept showing it all day.

Poland/Slovakia, pretty ugly game, Krychowiak didn't deserve both of those cards in my opinion, but Poland was getting away with hard hits all game long. Kudos to Slovakia for staying with it, they were getting hammered on the field. They are sitting solo with 3 points at the top of the group.

Spain/Sweden, that's a really nice point for Sweden. Statistically Spain dominated but Swedish keeper was out of his mind today, what a game by him!

Tomorrow's a big day. Germany/France and Portugal/Hungary.

Ugh, all day meetings tomorrow so guess I'll just have the matches on mute
heddleston
AG
wangus12
AG
Matches today:

Hungary v. Portugal
Puskas Arena, Budapest
Time: 11:00 AM CT

France v. Germany
Allianz Arena
Time: 2:00 PM CT
planoaggie123
AG
Leaving for vacation today....got everything done last week....looking forward to another day of games at the office.

I do wish the games were flipped as I may need to leave before Ger / Fra is over but looking forward to watching Portugal....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.