****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,504 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know about most of the subs, but Mount getting subbed out definitely hurt the penalty kicks.
Jim01
AG
Didn't have time to watch until 8:00 last night. What a game!!

Some highlights:
- The costumes in the stands
- The lady holding up the "Mrs. Grealish 69" jersey
- Both goal keepers. I feel bad for Pickford. Who blocks 2 out of 5 and still losses the shootout?!?! That was rough.
- Felt the end was fitting. Italy was the better team all game minus the first 5-10 minutes.
- I was very curious about Bonucci's goal celebration so had to google it. https://www.juvefc.com/bonuccis-father-reveals-the-meaning-behind-leos-signature-goal-celebration/
joemeister
AG
The fact Italy dominated the game like they did, when you can legitimately argue that the talent favored England (especially England's bench), demonstrates Southgate's failures. He got two major decisions wrong:

(1) setting up to defend deep instead of to press. Spain showed the formula against Italy and England's team is full of players that effectively press high up the pitch for their clubs. England also has proven finishers up front, which Spain don't have. England did press some in the first 30 minutes, but once Italy started dominating the midfield, England parked the bus and kicked it deep to Kane with nobody to support him. Harry Maguire and John Stones are both, arguably, top 20 central defenders in Europe with tons of Champions League experience. Kyle Walker and Luke Shaw are excellent fullbacks. They did not need 3 at the back. All it did was let Italy dominate the midfield, which is where most big games are won.

(2) Zero impact substitutions, especially when Italy took complete control in the 2nd half with their subs. England had tons of speed and skill on the bench and deliberately chose not to use it. They set up and played that game like they were West Brom fighting to survive relegation.
akm91
AG
Southgate has played that way all tournament long. He's very similar to Deschamp in that regards with conservative game plan to not lose the match.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
joemeister
AG
You can be conservative while not parking the bus. France have no problem playing their best attacking players. Heck, part of why they lost to the Swiss was they had players out of their natural position in the back four.

Southgate had exactly one player, Declan Rice, in the group of 11-15 players that saw significant minutes who plays for a club that parks the bus. I understand why you would ask your fullbacks to not take too many risks or not play out from the back every time the GK has the ball, but they were way too negative in that game.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Dre_00
joemeister said:

The fact Italy dominated the game like they did, when you can legitimately argue that the talent favored England (especially England's bench), demonstrates Southgate's failures. He got two major decisions wrong:

(1) setting up to defend deep instead of to press. Spain showed the formula against Italy and England's team is full of players that effectively press high up the pitch for their clubs. England also has proven finishers up front, which Spain don't have. England did press some in the first 30 minutes, but once Italy started dominating the midfield, England parked the bus and kicked it deep to Kane with nobody to support him. Harry Maguire and John Stones are both, arguably, top 20 central defenders in Europe with tons of Champions League experience. Kyle Walker and Luke Shaw are excellent fullbacks. They did not need 3 at the back. All it did was let Italy dominate the midfield, which is where most big games are won.

(2) Zero impact substitutions, especially when Italy took complete control in the 2nd half with their subs. England had tons of speed and skill on the bench and deliberately chose not to use it. They set up and played that game like they were West Brom fighting to survive relegation.

I think Southgate was by in large very good this tournament but agree with this. He often prioritized defensive organization over all else (especially if his side took a lead), which made a lot of sense if we're honest. But in previous games there was enough attacking content to keep the opponent honest. That was certainly not the case against Italy. He followed his same plan but didn't adjust for the fact that his team took the lead extremely early or the fact that Italy were arguably the best team in the world over the last 3 years.
akm91
AG
Italians poking a bit of fun at the English....

"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oragator
I did go low left every time and not worry about the goalie. Having a consistent approach gave me confidence, and not worrying about the goalie took some of the thinking out of it. Just over cooked the angle and missed wide left on that one, thankfully every one else made theirs.
Rudyjax
AG
oragator said:

I did go low left every time and not worry about the goalie. Having a consistent approach gave me confidence, and not worrying about the goalie took some of the thinking out of it. Just over cooked the angle and missed wide left on that one, thankfully every one else made theirs.
Low and in the corner is always a good option. Even if they guess right, it's very hard to save.
fig96
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CRYAGb4D6EJ
stillmerk
AG
Did Italy make that shirt?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.