****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,947 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dre_00 said:

jeffk said:

I've actually attended some really good development sessions on penalty kicks over the years. Confidence is huge but I think a lot hinges on having a plan and then sticking with it regardless of what you see once you approach the ball. And obviously being technically precise enough to execute that plan under pressure.
OK yes but...stutter stepping and trying to get the keeper to commit is in fact a plan. And maybe that's the big disconnect here. It comes off as lacking confidence or it comes off as being nervous. But it absolutely doesn't mean that.

I will concede that Rashford looked nervous last night but my conclusion was reached not from the type of penalty he took but his body language before taking it. Look at Bruno Fernandes or Pogba. They often (in the case of Bruno almost exclusively) use the stutter approach and I'd wager their conversion percentages are high.

Sidenote: no offense intended to those sharing the PK strategies they've employed as players but your "pick a target and hit it as hard as you can strategy" probably works a lot better when you aren't facing world class keepers with a penchant for saving penalties and who have likely reviewed thousands of hours of data to determine players tendencies, tells, etc.
Even the commentator knew the tendencies of players on PKs.

Rashford knew exactly what he was doing. He just hit it too far to the left.

This however only works for those that have taken numerous penalties.

An upper or lower 90 penalty is good 95 out of 100 times.

Dre_00
Tangentially related but my goodness Bruno Fernandes is good at penalties.

In his career, he's taken 44 penalties. He's missed 3. That's a 93% conversion when the average is something like 75% (I think).

I'm not going to pretend that I've seen them all. But I've seen a loooooot of the ones with United and there were a loooooot of stutter steps in those PKs.
gougler08
AG
Jorginho is also very good for his career with that jump thing he does, yet he missed yesterday too
tysker
AG
The stutter step approach takes you out of your normal striking rhythm. And its really hard for most players to get power behind the kick with only one full step so your placement must be perfect. So I guess it can be a plan but it has to be a very well practiced and rehearsed plan.
Dre_00
Agree with all of that. And those capable of hitting the corners consistently should absolutely do that. Harry Kane is a great example. That guy has the exact same run up every time. No stutter step (at least not that I've ever seen). And places it in the corner nearly every time. His conversion rate is 85%. He absolutely should keep doing what he's doing.

Marcus Rashford is nowhere near the finisher that Harry Kane is though. And those that aren't excellent finishers need another tool in their arsenal to increase their chances of success.
PatAg
AG

Would be amazing to be in that crowd celebrating.
Some day we will get to do that for the World Cup. (or an Aggie National Championship in football)
oh no
AG
The greatest players ever have missed Pens before. I've seen Leo Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo miss the whole frame on a PK. You can try to put too much pace on it and miss. You can try to get too fancy and miss. When you're facing the best keepers in the world, and the pressure is immense, and at this level there are scouting reports so you can't take the same shot every time and it becomes a head game, it can happen to the best of them. Look at Jorgino - his take against Spain in the semi-final was outstanding, yet his take against Pickford yesterday was saved. McGuire's take yesterday was outstanding. Because Southgate put them in at 120' just to take the PK, I'm willing to bet that Rashford and Sancho had proven in training to be better takers more consistently than the other players on the pitch at 120' - Grealish, Shaw, Walker, Henderson, Sterling, Phillips, etc. Of course, three young kids, two of them coming on ice cold, Southgate will be questioned for a long time about that.
akm91
AG
Quote:

Of course, three young kids, two of them coming on ice cold, Southgate will be questioned for a long time about that.
Why didn't he get them in the match earlier is one Southgate will have to answer for.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
oh no
AG
and your penalty takers are not about best at "finishing". It's a set piece. The ball isn't moving. A great finisher makes the runs, makes multiple touches when necessary, uses all surfaces on both feet and head on a moving ball- often at pace, to find the net. Jorgino is a defensive holding midfielder and he's the main pen taker for Chelsea. McGuire is a big tall center back. If they were the best "finishers" they'd be playing forward on the pitch. They are good at placing the ball in the net on a pen though. Every player on the pitch at this level can take a pen well and the coaches should know of the 11 left at the end of the match, who the best 5 are or which 5 you're most comfortable with assigning the task.
jeffk
AG
Oh, I know going in slow and reading the keeper is a plan, and many players are really good at it. There's definitely different approaches that can end in a positive result. When it comes down to it, it's a lot tougher than it looks from a spectator's perspective especially when you remember that there's a professional keeper who knows all about these strategies 12 yards away who's pretty good at stopping shots too.
PatAg
AG
oh no said:

and your penalty takers are not about best at "finishing". It's a set piece. The ball isn't moving. A great finisher makes the runs, makes multiple touches when necessary, uses all surfaces on both feet and head on a moving ball- often at pace, to find the net. Jorgino is a defensive holding midfielder and he's the main pen taker for Chelsea. McGuire is a big tall center back. If they were the best "finishers" they'd be playing forward on the pitch. They are good at placing the ball in the net on a pen though. Every player on the pitch at this level can take a pen well and the coaches should know of the 11 left at the end of the match, who the best 5 are or which 5 you're most comfortable with assigning the task.
If anything, your best passers tend to be your best PK takers, imo.

Ultimately, it most likely comes down to who can handle the pressure the best combined with who has proven they can replicate their PKs from training in the game. (both probably related)

I just always disliked relying on the goalkeeper to either make a mistake or show his hand for my PK to go in.
KCup17
AG
I remember saying out loud before Rashford took his pen that "He doesn't miss." Then I stood corrected. And I understand why he was selected to take a pen but what I don't understand is why Saka and Sancho were selected. Sancho didn't even break a sweat and Saka never takes pens for Arsenal. Baffling stuff.
jeffk
AG
So it's your fault then.
Onceaggie2.0
KCup17 said:

I remember saying out loud before Rashford took his pen that "He doesn't miss." Then I stood corrected. And I understand why he was selected to take a pen but what I don't understand is why Saka and Sancho were selected. Sancho didn't even break a sweat and Saka never takes pens for Arsenal. Baffling stuff.
why do you think?
oh no
AG
Grealish is an attacking central midfielder. Skillful with the ball, both passing and shooting. Was a late sub so he was warm but not exhausted. I believe he takes pens for Aston Villa. ...but Southgate put two 120' young ice cold subs to make it 5 guys ahead of him in Southgate's mind.
deadbq03
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

Of course, three young kids, two of them coming on ice cold, Southgate will be questioned for a long time about that.
Why didn't he get them in the match earlier is one Southgate will have to answer for.
No joke. Leaving subs on the bench in extra time is baffling. I could see keeping one sub available, but there's really no excuse to keep fresh legs on the bench, especially when your bench is as deep as England. By 110' for sure I'd have had both of them in there to make one last push.
Dre_00
From Transfermarkt (where I got the other stats in this thread):

Rashford: 17 penalties attempted; 15 made
Sancho: 11 penalties attempted; 10 made
Saka: 3 penalties attempted; 2 made

Those are career stats but don't seem to include PKs taken in penalty shootouts (didn't see Pogba's PKs during the Europa Cup Final or the Euros).

For comparison:

Sterling: 5 penalties attempted; 2 made
Grealish: 1 penalty attempted; 1 made
Maguire: 0 penalties attempted; 0 made

I 100% agree that Saka was put in a nonsensical position but I have to say...I'm not sure there's a statistically obvious candidate to have replaced him. Not unless there was another Harry Maguire lurking on the team who had a fantastic PK in him that nobody knew about it. But even if there wasn't, pick the older guy rather than the 19 year old. Unless that 19 year old has been nailing penalties throughout his career, he should be nowhere near the 5th position of a shootout.
oh no
AG
Dre_00 said:

Those are career stats but don't seem to include PKs taken in penalty shootouts (didn't see Pogba's PKs during the Europa Cup Final or the Euros).

For comparison:

I 100% agree that Saka was put in a nonsensical position but I have to say...I'm not sure there's a statistically obvious candidate to have replaced him. Not unless there was another Harry Maguire lurking on the team who had a fantastic PK in him that nobody knew about it. But even if there wasn't, pick the older guy rather than the 19 year old. Unless that 19 year old has been nailing penalties throughout his career, he should be nowhere near the 5th position of a shootout.
Interesting. I thought Grealish took pens for Aston Villa. How about Kyle Walker, Jordan Henderson, Luke Shaw, Kalvin Phillips (I think everyone knew Sterling and Stones and Pickford weren't in the top 5 choices).
wangus12
AG
That's the thing for me with Saka. He's a great young talent, he takes set pieces for Arsenal. But he has never taken a professional senior level penalty in his life (the 3 listed above are all at the U18 level with Arsenal/England). Why on Earth would you let a 19 year old take his first senior level penalty as #5 when it must go in, playing in a final, in a 100% packed Wembley with 55 years of national frustration on your shoulders. Imo, that should have 100% been Kane's spot, but I understand having your best go first. You just can't put that on a teenage with less than 10 caps for his country
akm91
AG
Totally agree. I really felt for Saka after his penalty was saved.
birdman
Grealish took a pretty hard foul not long before the end of game. That might of had something to do with his exclusion.
KCup17
AG
I honestly don't know. I would have put Grealish and Sterling in both their spots.
KCup17
AG
I saw a interview he did after the game saying that he had told Southgate he wanted to take a pen but Southgate decided otherwise.
AG@RICE
AG
oh no said:

Dre_00 said:

For comparison:

Interesting. I thought Grealish took pens for Aston Villa. How about Kyle Walker, Jordan Henderson, Luke Shaw, Kalvin Phillips (I think everyone knew Sterling and Stones and Pickford weren't in the top 5 choices).

Hendo never takes penalties for Liverpool. It's either Milner or Mo.

In retrospect they probably should have taken Milly. He is basically automatic.
JJxvi
AG
Apparently from some of the TV footage has a shot of Southgate going around to each taker in order, #3) Rashford #4) Sancho #5) Saka #6) Pickford #7) Phillips, #8) Grealish

So amazingly, after those three, the next up was the goalkeeper.
planoaggie123
AG
That is shocking....
wangus12
AG
Again, Southgate is a jackass and England's current success is in spite of him rather than because of him
oh no
AG
Nothing stopping a GK from being a great PK taker. I've seen it before.
Rudyjax
AG
oh no said:

GKs are sometimes really good at PKs. Keepers take PKs against each other in training. You don't have a field player out there doing it, so the other keepers take them. They may have more experience than field players, at least in training.
akm91
AG
wangus12 said:

Again, Southgate is a jackass and England's current success is in spite of him rather than because of him
Southgate is the Deschamp of England
oh no
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

oh no said:

GKs are sometimes really good at PKs. Keepers take PKs against each other in training. You don't have a field player out there doing it, so the other keepers take them. They may have more experience than field players, at least in training.
Yep. and, there may be zero or very limited scouting reports on them. they have power and are likely to put pace on the ball on frame rather than finesse.
birdman

oh no said:

Managers are typically reluctant to have goalies take penalty kicks because of mental aspect.

If goalie puts his shot into the bleachers, it could put him in a funk and negatively effect his goaltending.
Rudyjax
AG
birdman said:

oh no said:

Managers are typically reluctant to have goalies take penalty kicks because of mental aspect.

If goalie puts his shot into the bleachers, it could put him in a funk and negatively effect his goaltending.
Very good point. That's typically why they go last when necessary.
JJxvi
AG
Here's the decisions for all of Southgates penalty shootouts with England

World Cup 2018 Round of 16
#1 Kane - Made
#2 Rashford - Made
#3 Henderson - Missed
#4 Trippier - Made
#5 Dier - Made

Did not kick- Pickford, Stones, Maguire, Lingard, Vardy, Rose (Taker Rashford subbed in at 113th minute)

Nations League 2019 3rd Place
#1 Maguire - Made
#2 Barkley - Made
#3 Sancho - Made
#4 Sterling - Made
#5 Pickford - Made
#6 Dier - Made

Did not kick - Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Alli, Walker, Wilson (Takers Sancho and Barkley were subbed on in the 106th minute)

Euro 2020 Final
#1 Kane - Made
#2 Maguire - Made
#3 Rashford - Missed
#4 Sancho - Missed
#5 Saka - Missed

Did not kick - Pickford, Stones, Shaw, Phillips, Sterling, Grealish (Takers Sancho and Rashford subbed on in 120th minute)

The decisions dont seem that out of the ordinary in hindsight from Southgate's previous victories in the penalty shootout (although waiting until the 120th minute for takers to come in cold still seems like not a good idea). Sancho doesnt seem as weird knowing now that he actually did have experience (although granted in not nearly the same high pressure situation) of being called upon and converting before.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
oh no said:

I recall Neuer being a good penalty taker for some reason.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.