****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,886 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bad luck for Denmark.

Damn. But they've created some great memories.
PatAg
AG
twilly said:

No contact from the first defender. Sterling was already "falling" down before the 2nd defender made contact
Technically that wouldnt matter if the 2nd defender still runs into him. I dont think he did based on the replays I saw though
Max Power
AG
Ballgame. England/Italy in the final, that should be a fun match.
birdman
Penalty was gutless call from ref.

Denmark brought it on themselves. They decided to bunker with ten minutes remaining in regulation. They struggled after that.

I also didn't under the Denmark substitutions. I think they used all five in first 85 minutes or so. Manager left no bullets in his gun. They played tired. No opportunity to change momentum.
aggiephoenix02
Max Power said:

Go England! Beat those cheaters!
MB19
AG
Seeing Maehle in tears. Tough to watch. Probably blaming himself.
The Shank Ag
Hope the Three Lions roar past Italy... Huge England fan, feel terrible for Denmark though. Hell of a fight by those lads
dmart90
AG
Max Power said:

I hope it is a GREAT final! I have an affinity for both team - not sure who I will root for!
JJxvi
AG
I feel like that penalty by Kane was so bad that Schmeichel should have held it
awall11
AG
Sure looked like he tried to
wangus12
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

Max Power said:

Go England! Beat those cheaters!

Really? We're talking about England winning a match via a Sterling dive and you're calling Italy cheaters?

Legal Custodian
AG
This has the making of a nice 0-0 (5-4) penalty win for Italy.
FILO505
AG
Max Power said:

Hmmm, anyone on that field that isn't Sterling probably doesn't fall down there. I get it, but dang.

Have you EVER seen Grealish and Kane play? Grealish would've looked like they broke his femur
stillmerk
AG
Italy
PatAg
AG
I'm all for common sense overriding strict adherence to rules, but do they always stop play if a 2nd ball is on the field? Or only if it's during a moment of inconseqeuntial possession? Or you ignore it if you want to leave the stadium alive?
oragator
Long rant post.

I've said it before and gotten blasted here, but if you want to see why soccer isn't as popular in the US as many think it should be, look no further than tonight.
Two hours of play and they mustered three goals.
First was a brilliant goal but off a soft penalty.
Second was an own goal.
Third and deciding goal was a joke.

So zero good goals in the run of play in two hours, Denmark bunkered in for the last 45 minutes basically making it like watching paint dry, players acting like they were trying out to play JFK in a Zapruder film remake when they were so much as touched, and again, had the awful call not been made, it would have been decided on 10 one on one plays that involve one tenth of the skill of the game. And this in a tournament where there have already been 11 own goals.

My suggestions for making tournaments like this better:
First have a review of every game for dives to be completed within 24 hours. If someone is found to have dived, yellow for mediocre offense, red for a bad one, Stuff would end tomorrow. It's the worst part of the game.
While it didn't help much this year, keep the allowance of additional subs.
Allow indirect free kicks in the box on those plays at the discretion of the ref.
Get rid of the offsides rule. If a guy is sitting back cherry picking, that's still him and a defender miles from the play, which opens up the field.
Accurately capture extra time, which would seriously curtail time wasting. I saw a study that the average game has 14 minutes, and only about five are added.
Put in a rule for red card offenses that they can be seen off for 20 minutes or some other number depending on the severity of the offense, Because deciding the game on one call ruins it. Ask Sweden. If it's in the first half, the best you can hope for is 70 minutes of "heroic" bunkering, with the team with 11 winning something like 90 percent of the time.

/rant.
ptothemo
AG
Genuine question and not trolling. If you spent two hours watching the game and feel that strongly about so many fundamental or innate parts of the game, why even watch? Or care?
oragator
Because there was some good human interest between England's long drought and Denmark's great run.
And it's European football that bothers me the most, generally I like the sport, and the skill level is really great in the European games which usually keeps me interested or overrides the other stuff, but days like today crush that.
Without getting into my background, I'm not a drive by viewer, it's a sport I I understand, I want to see it be more consistently enjoyable and so many small things they could do seem straight forward to me. But people just accept that a good chunk of the games are decided on borderline calls with no critical thinking to how it could be improved.
But to each their own. I am used to being in the minority on this among fans. And I know none of it will happen, which is why I called it a rant,
AG@RICE
AG
It wouldn't be a major soccer tournament without the traditional "I hate soccer, let's change the rules" post.
AG@RICE
AG
Dp
awall11
AG
All of your complaints are also part of why people can't get enough of the game. The bad calls are infuriating, but they are also part of the human element of the game. I hate the flopping too, but I understand when certain teams are on the field it will be part of the game.

I think we often forget about the fact that it is a global game. Which means different styles of play, and different cultures bleeding into those styles. Which yes, even means certain teams are going to roll around for awhile. I guess I just don't know why we always have to have the attitude of "If they would just play like the Americans it would be even better." Enjoy it for what it is. And yes, that means mocking the guys that feign death when they feel a breath on them.
jeffk
AG
Soccer is doing fine.
oragator
I am all for different styles. I am all for missed calls being debated incessantly. Heck I am still mad about the unsportsmanlike on Dallas Baker against UT in 2003. That cost us that game.
The problem is that flopping is dishonest, that's not sport, and it's not cultural. You can't tell me anyone in the world actually WANTS to watch people roll around like idiots every two minutes. And the way the sport is currently constructed, one missed call completely changes a game, and can even decide it, because everything is designed to limit scoring. Even the red card rules limit it because whomever gets it bunkers, A game where one missed call or lucky break decides it (like tonight) is deflating.
But my point was made for better or worse, as I said to each their own.
aggiephoenix02
Keep in mind that a lot of the exaggeration and flops in soccer ARE in fact fouls, the player just embellishes to make sure the ref sees it or calls it...
AG@RICE
AG
Basketball players flop, football players embellish PI calls and baseball players constantly find ways to cheat. It's all the same.
sir charles
With respect to this game, Denmark held their own for 70 minutes or so. But then it was England making all the positive moves and controlling the possession. Denmark was good, but England deserved the win. Ref missed an earlier penalty for Kane in the 1st extra period, so to me it balanced out with calling the "flop" for Sterling.

Just look at the stats - 60/40 possession and 21/6 shots. England was the better team.

Good call PatAg. What do the TexAgs refs have to say about the 2nd ball on the field? Couldn't believe it when I saw it during the play.
bagger05
AG
Just got done watching.

Denmark had a few stretches where they looked like the better team, but overall England looked in control most of the game.

Penalty was questionable, but Denmark was kinda asking for it. As Ian Darke said, "they were inviting England to run at them" and it felt like it was only a matter of time.

I didn't like Denmark's decision to sit back in extra time, but after seeing how dead they looked when they tried to press I understand. They just looked completely exhausted, and that being the case I can see how maybe defending for 30 minutes and trying for KFTM is a decent strategy.

Doesn't feel like it's often that the best two teams end up in the final of a tournament but in my opinion that's what we have here. England and Italy have both had a couple shaky moments but overall I think they have looked the best.

Hoping for a great final. Would be cool to see England exercise the demons.
Rudyjax
AG
So from the referees angle, it looked like a penalty.

It wasn't egregious enough to overturn.

England finally got their act together and let youth teams train together.

I predicted a WC for them in 2022 and they're on the right track. Too many things have to go your way, but I called the last 2 WC champs prior.

Mathguy64
AG
sir charles said:

What do the TexAgs refs have to say about the 2nd ball on the field? Couldn't believe it when I saw it during the play.

Extra balls come on fields all the time even in the pros. Unless it impacts play ignore it. If it does, the restart is a dropped ball for the team last in possession or the GK if in the area.
aTmAg
AG
I agree on doing something to reduce flops. Though it wouldn't have helped the England flop, I think that if a player has stopped play by rolling around on the ground in either real or fake pain, then it should be an automatic 2 or 3 minutes rest on the sidelines. The team can either sub the guy out or play down a man for those few minutes.

Also every foul should be reviewed and if the person was not touched then it should be an automatic yellow card. No exceptions.
Mike Elko
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

...but I called the last 2 WC champs prior.
Wow, you actually predicted two of the prohibitive favorites (Germany/France) would win the WC?! Bravo, man... Bravo!
jeffk
AG
Pshh... I've correctly predicted every WC winner since 1930.
oh no
AG
I'm going to correctly predict more simulation dives from Raheem Sterling and Harry Kane going to the ground multiple times as if he got hit by a truck, both them only to be outdone by several Air Italia crashes and rolls.
TRM
AG
Quote:

England have been charged by UEFA after Denmark goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel was targeted with a laser during the deciding moment of their Euro 2020 semifinal victory at Wembley on Wednesday.

The laser was pointed at Schmeichel as England captain Harry Kane stepped up to take a penalty in extra time. The Leicester City goalkeeper initially saved Kane's spot kick, despite the green light on his face, but Kane tapped in the rebound to send England into Sunday's final against Italy.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/england-eng/story/4429423/euro-2020-england-charged-after-kasper-schmeichel-lasered-before-harry-kane-penalty
deadbq03
AG
aTmAg said:

Also every foul should be reviewed and if the person was not touched then it should be an automatic yellow card. No exceptions.
I like the notion but I wouldn't want these kinds of stoppages during the game. Too much VAR as it is (actually I like all the VAR except the ridiculous lines for offside).

It would be great if everything was reviewed after the game and players were slapped with a card for each incident. I'd like to think that professional refs are already reviewing their own tapes to see what they need to get better at, so this wouldn't be that much more work.

Having it happen after the game means it counts toward yellow card suspension limits. If you wanted to be super strict, you could treat multiple infractions the same game as being shown yellow twice, and therefore red and therefore an automatic ban the next game. I think that'd be a bit harsh because the player would've never had the opportunity to be warned about it during the game but getting 2+ yellows in one match puts a player well on his way to getting a suspension for the yellow card limit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.