****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,945 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If Croatia gets one more they would finish in 2nd instead of 3rd
I think they might already have it.... down to 5th tiebreaker of goals scored
young eugene
AG
England win the group. As a prize they get to play either Germany, France, or Portugal in the 1st knock out round.
KCup17
AG
Oof. It's not coming home.
deadbq03
AG
young eugene said:

England win the group. As a prize they get to play either Germany, France, or Portugal in the 1st knock out round.
Root for Hungary and France... if they both win Hungary are runner-ups and Portugal stay home.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

young eugene said:

Root for Hungary and France... if they both win Hungary are runner-ups and Portugal stay home.
Can France be eliminated with a loss?
deadbq03
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

deadbq03 said:

young eugene said:

No, they're safe. All 4 pt teams will be in.
Rudyjax
AG
deadbq03 said:

Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

deadbq03 said:

young eugene said:

No, they're safe. All 4 pt teams will be in.
Stupid frogs...i was hoping they'd get eliminated.
cypress-ag
AG
Who will the Czech's face in the next round? It's got to be from the group of death yes?
young eugene
AG
deadbq03 said:

young eugene said:

Eh, Hungary are the least entertaining of the group IMO. There's < 1% chance they beat Germany anyway. And the game is in Munich.
OregonAggie
AG
cypress-ag said:

Who will the Czech's face in the next round? It's got to be from the group of death yes?

I think it's too early to tell. I believe the 3rd place teams get ranked and go to certain matchups based on that. I think. I know nothing hahaha.

Here's a quick read though:

https://dknation.draftkings.com/2021/6/20/22542627/euro-2021-bracket-knockout-stage-italy-wales-belgium-netherlands-france-portugal-germany-england
deadbq03
AG
This is the absolute best explanation I've seen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_knockout_phase

There's a predetermined table of possible outcomes, and there's only 4 possible combos left (rows highlighted in green).

Czech's options are down to the Dutch (winner of C) or the Winner of E... and 3/4 combos pit them against the Dutch... but the one combo left that puts them against the Winner of E is probably the combo that's most likely to occur (that 3rd place teams from B & C don't qualify).
wangus12
AG
wangus12 said:

Here is the current Table

Group A Standings:
-----------------------Pld---W---D---L---GD----Pts
Italy--------------------3----3---0---0___+4----9
Wales-----------------3----1---1---1___+1----4
Switzerland---------3----1---1---1___-1----4
Turkey----------------3----0---0---3___-7----0

Group B Standings:
----------------------Pld---W---D---L---GD----Pts
Belgium-------------3----3---0---0___+6----9
Denmark------------3----1---0---2___+1----3
Finland--------------3----1---0---2___-2----3
Russia---------------3----1---0---2___-5----3

Group C Standings:
-------------------------------Pld---W---D---L---GD----Pts
Netherlands----------------3----3---0---0___+6----9
Austria-----------------------3----2---0---1___+1----6
Ukraine----------------------3----1---0---2___-1----3
North Macedonia---------3----0---0---3___-6----0

Group D Standings:
-----------------------------Pld---W---D---L---GD----Pts
England--------------------3----2---1---0___+2----7
Croatia---------------------3----1---1---1___+1----4
Czech Republic---------3----1---1---1___+1----4
Scotland-------------------3----0---1---2___-4----1

Group E Standings:
Sweden--------------------2----1---1---0___+1----4
Slovakia-------------------2----1---0---1___+0----3
Spain-----------------------2----0---2---0___+0----2
Poland---------------------2----0---1---1___-1----1

Group F Standings:
France---------------------2----1---1---0___+1----4
Portugal-------------------2----1---0---1___+1----3
Germany------------------2----1---0---1___+1----3
Hungary-------------------2----0---1---1___-3----1

3rd Place Table
Czech Republic---------3----1---1---1___+1----4
Switzerland---------------3----1---1---1___-1----4
Portugal-------------------2----1---0---1___+1----3
Ukraine---------------------3----1---0---2___-1----3
Finland---------------------3----1---0---2___-2----3
Spain------------------------2----0---2---0___+0----2
OregonAggie
AG
Awesome thanks!
OregonAggie
AG
So who y'all got for the winner? I think the Netherlands is going to pull this off this year.
deadbq03
AG
Nerd alert. I'm bored and wanted to know what's at stake today and how each team could advance.

Sweden & France are already in, but there's high incentives for both to push to win their group outright because either could fall to 3rd. The winners of both groups face 3rd place teams (TBD based on outcomes).

Winner of E faces Finland/Ukraine/Czech; 2nd place faces Croatia; but the 3rd place E team would face Belgium.

Winner of F faces Switzerland/Ukraine; 2nd place faces England; 3rd place faces Belgium (if E#3 doesn't qualify) or Dutch (if E#3 does qualify).

So in both cases, winning the group provides an easier opponent in the knockout. Also, it's possible that either one could still win their group with a just a draw based on the chaos below them.

Group E:

Poland are simple: Win and In. Anything less and they're out.
Spain - will advance with a win. Will advance with a draw if Poland does not win. Will not advance with a loss.
Slovakia - will advance with a win or draw. Could technically advance on a loss but the options are pretty far-fetched. Most likely scenario in this case would be if they lose by 1pt, but manage to score 2+ goals in the process; worst of all, they need the 3rd place team in Group F to get absolutely rocked (example: if Germany finishes 3rd, they need them to lose by 3 today). These are Dumb and Dumber chances here, but yes, I'm saying there's a chance.

Group F:

Hungary are simple: Win and In. Anything less and they're out.
Portugal & Germany - will advance with a win or draw. They're in pretty good shape on losses too, due to superior GD, but they do need certain things to go their way within the group. If Portugal lose, then they need Germany to win or draw because Germany owns the head-to-head tiebreaker. If Germany lose, then they need Portugal to also lose (again, because they own the tiebreaker).
DeangeloVickers
AG
I dont want the group stage to end!
wangus12
AG
UEFA will be like "Say no more!"

Next Euro's will allow all 55 teams to compete in the group stage
Max Power
AG
Today should be a lot of fun.

Spain might have the chance to advance with a draw, but the pressure is on them today to get a win. They'll be aggressive early and often. My gut tells me Spain wins by a couple, they've got to approach this game like there's no tomorrow. Of the two games at 11:00 this is the one I'll try to watch.

Sweden/Poland I could see any outcome honestly. Sweden already has a spot locked in for the knockout phase, they're just playing for their slot. Poland will need max effort to get the W, perhaps Lewandowski has a monster game.

France/Portugal I'm anticipating as the match of the day. France has their ticket punched, but Portugal needs points to assure moving on. I also think there's more pride on the line with this game for each squad given their world rankings. Portugal will be aggressive like Spain has to be, but the French defense can give anyone a bad day. This will be a day of reckoning for Portugal for better or worse.

Germany/Hungary might be the most interesting match, to me this has the biggest potential to be a bracket buster if you want to use an NCAA analogy. Germany might still be on a high after dismantling Portugal, but Hungary played France to a draw and shouldn't be taken lightly. Germany didn't play particularly well against France in their match. Germany needs at least a draw to get to that much needed 4 points, Hungary needs the win.
akm91
AG
Think France will play Portugal the same way they played against Germany; sit back and hit Portugal on the counter with Mbappe and Benzema. High drama but ugly game (aesthetically) to watch.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
wangus12 said:

UEFA will be like "Say no more!"

Next Euro's will allow all 55 teams to compete in the group stage
they'll at least go to 48 teams and have two group stages.
KCup17
AG
Really hoping Poland can advance out of the group. I just love Lewandowski really want him to do well. Would find it really funny if Spain didn't advance
deadbq03
AG
I wish soccer associations could take a lesson from NCAA baseball and when competitions get down to 8 teams, have double elimination tourneys to get down to the final two.
mrmill3218
AG
Heja Sverige!!
OregonAggie
AG
KCup17 said:

Really hoping Poland can advance out of the group. I just love Lewandowski really want him to do well. Would find it really funny if Spain didn't advance

I feel like Poland always disappoints in tournaments. Not sure why considering Lewandowski plays for them and they have plenty of other good players.
KCup17
AG
I agree. They wildly under perform and I don't understand why.
KCup17
AG
Yeah 2 mins in and Poland already conceded haha
deadbq03
AG
Another saved PK! This tourney is full of PK saves.
Jason_Ag98
AG
What a way for Spain to finally score!
PatAg
AG
Well that just happened to Slovakia
wangus12
AG
Woof
akm91
AG
Another contribution to When Playing It Out of the Back Goes Wrong

Slovakia blunder
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
deadbq03
AG
akm91 said:

Another contribution to When Playing It Out of the Back Goes Wrong

Slovakia blunder
Dang boss in the office again and I missed that.

Looks like me trying to play volleyball.
ptothemo
AG
It appears that Dubravka is trying out for the Slovakia Olympic volleyball team for after the Euros. Pretty impressive spike there.
ptothemo
AG
Damn it, you just beat me to it.
Unemployed
AG
Dammit...I scheduled doctor's appt for 2PM. Lack of foresight on my part.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.