****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,961 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man the sub has come in and been everywhere for the Czechs
snowdog90
PatAg said:

Putting players on the post doesn't guarantee you stop the goal and it also means you are generally at a disadvantage marking the attacking players in the box. I would say more impactful moment on that goal was not communicating who was going to go with who by the Czech Republic players

So they'd have scored on you too. I would defend all corners with all 11, 2 on the post, leaving 8 guys to defend the box. 2 goals in 2 days saved by this setup. It doesn't always work, but the Germans beat the Americans in the quarters of the world cup because they had a guy on the post on a corner kick.
MB19
AG
snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

Putting players on the post doesn't guarantee you stop the goal and it also means you are generally at a disadvantage marking the attacking players in the box. I would say more impactful moment on that goal was not communicating who was going to go with who by the Czech Republic players

So they'd have scored on you too. I would defend all corners with all 11, 2 on the post, leaving 8 guys to defend the box. 2 goals in 2 days saved by this setup. It doesn't always work, but the Germans beat the Americans in the quarters of the world cup because they had a guy on the post on a corner kick.
Yep. Plus handling the ball on the line and getting away with it also helps a great deal.
snowdog90
MB19 said:

snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

Yep. Plus handling the ball on the line and getting away with it also helps a great deal.

Yep. I was livid. But if he's not there, it's a goal.
Mathguy64
AG
Czechs have had at least 3 great chances to tie. Danes will be defending for their lives now and could pick up a cheap counter
byfLuger41
gougler08
AG
Ref missed that one. That was a clear foul
deadbq03
AG
I didn't want this game to end. It was a refreshingly clean game as opposed to watching Italians roll in the grass and time-waste yesterday.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Headed to a bar to watch a live sporting event I think for the first time since 2019 Champions League Final!
jeffk
AG
Putting players on posts on corners is a safety net strategy. If you need to do it, do it. If your defense is good enough to man mark and win the ball, it's a serious advantage to have an extra player or two out of the area to help break on the counter.
La Bamba
AG
I mean this is pretty cool and heartwarming but kinda ghey....and guys mind the rona please
snowdog90
jeffk said:

Putting players on posts on corners is a safety net strategy. If you need to do it, do it. If your defense is good enough to man mark and win the ball, it's a serious advantage to have an extra player or two out of the area to help break on the counter.

It seems like a no-brainer to me. 8 guys defending the box is plenty. Put your 2 shortest guys on the posts, they're not winning headers anyway. It's not like it's some crazy idea, many teams do it, and the teams that don't look stupid when a headed corner kick trickles inside the post.
PatAg
AG
snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

I actually wasn't disagreeing with putting players on the post, I would also do it.
I just disagree that it immediately saves the goal. You don't know what effect having 2 less defenders has on the play, the person with the header might end up with more freedom to place their header. There's also countless times the ball still ends up sneaking by the person on the post.
PatAg
AG
This England game is going to be a fun watch
wangus12
AG
Please give me an upset. Listening to some of these pundits you'd think England have already won the whole thing
MB19
AG
snowdog90 said:

MB19 said:

snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

Yep. I was livid. But if he's not there, it's a goal.
You, me and every other USMNT fan. When you rewatch the game, Oliver Kahn had a blinder in goal and saved the Germans.
snowdog90
PatAg said:

snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

I actually wasn't disagreeing with putting players on the post, I would also do it.
I just disagree that it immediately saves the goal. You don't know what effect having 2 less defenders has on the play, the person with the header might end up with more freedom to place their header. There's also countless times the ball still ends up sneaking by the person on the post.

Gotcha. Defending corners well can save so many goals. Just switch off for a second and the ball is in the net. Used to piss me off big time. I guess it still does...
ptothemo
AG
They know what their doing when they do that. I am certain that England games get the highest ratings here in the States, so them being in and propped up is good for business. Some people in the US love England and the rest hate England, but everyone cares.
PatAg
AG
LAND WHERE MY FATHERS DIED
PatAg
AG
snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

Gotcha. Defending corners well can save so many goals. Just switch off for a second and the ball is in the net. Used to piss me off big time. I guess it still does...
I think it's because, in a game where so much is out of your control, why not do a simple thing you CAN control
PatAg
AG
I think anytime we play England, we should play My Country 'Tis of Thee instead of the national anthem...but only if we have an equal number of fans in attendance (or more)
byfLuger41
AG
PatAg said:

I think anytime we play England, we should play My Country 'Tis of Thee instead of the national anthem...but only if we have an equal number of fans in attendance (or more)

I would support this.
PatAg
AG
I feel like this is actually GREAT for how entertaining this game wll be. It seemed likely Ukraine were going to try to park the bus and the game would end up being dull. Now they should be forced to come out of their shell some
byfLuger41
AG
Kane!
Furlock Bones
AG
That was fast.
gougler08
AG
That was fast
Rudyjax
AG
Furlock Bones said:

That was fast.

Mathguy64
AG
snowdog90 said:

jeffk said:

It seems like a no-brainer to me. 8 guys defending the box is plenty. Put your 2 shortest guys on the posts, they're not winning headers anyway. It's not like it's some crazy idea, many teams do it, and the teams that don't look stupid when a headed corner kick trickles inside the post.

Several years ago I asked Coach G about a tactical choice for putting players in the goal for corners. He had a very tall player (in fact his tallest) on a post. I asked him why and his response was "she can't head a ball". He always puts his worst headers there.
ptothemo
AG
The shot of those two young girls from Ukraine after Kane scored was gif-worthy.
wangus12
AG
Ukraine have responded well
snowdog90
PatAg said:

snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

snowdog90 said:

PatAg said:

I think it's because, in a game where so much is out of your control, why not do a simple thing you CAN control

Yes!! My thoughts exactly. One reason I really like Alexi Lalas, he's always harping on the importance of set pieces.
snowdog90
Is there a better candidate so far for player of the tournament than Sterling? That guy has carried England so far.
jay07ag
AG
snowdog90 said:

Is there a better candidate so far for player of the tournament than Sterling? That guy has carried England so far.

He's certainly shown up for country this tournament. Man City fans are wondering where this guy was last season
Rudyjax
AG
I wonder how many people worldwide are watching.
Mathguy64
AG
That was bizarre.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.