****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,954 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's almost like some of you have never watched soccer before. It's good that you are, but those trackers are very common.

And yes, removing your shirt is in the LoTG as an automatic booking which makes him doing it in this case ridiculous.
jeffk
AG
Lol. First major tournament around here?
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Lol. First major tournament around here?

Maybe so.
PatAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Thunder18 said:

I get it, it looks awful and was unfortunate but what was Danielson supposed to do there?

Not launch himself leg locked and engender parallel to the ground. Seriously. Dude was an unguided missile.
I'll give him credit that he was attempting to volley the ball mid-air, but you don't have to intend harm to get a red card.
aTmAg
AG
So I was scrolling quickly through this thread. Did I see a picture of a dudes leg getting bent the wrong way?

If so I think I will stay avoid this thread for a while.
Rudyjax
AG
aTmAg said:

So I was scrolling quickly through this thread. Did I see a picture of a dudes leg getting bent the wrong way?

Apparently he was disrespectful to America and that was punishment.
gougler08
AG
aTmAg said:

I mean it was the pivotal moment of the match, probably worth showing
aTmAg
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

aTmAg said:

Apparently he was disrespectful to America and that was punishment.
Well then that mofo deserved it.
Thunder18
AG
PatAg said:

Mathguy64 said:

Thunder18 said:

I get it, it looks awful and was unfortunate but what was Danielson supposed to do there?

Not launch himself leg locked and engender parallel to the ground. Seriously. Dude was an unguided missile.
I'll give him credit that he was attempting to volley the ball mid-air, but you don't have to intend harm to get a red card.

This is a much more reasonable take than "unguided missile launch"
Mathguy64
AG
I wrote this on my ref board in response to someone who questioned why it was a red card.

" Danielson launched himself in the air with a locked leg parallel to the ground 2 feet in the air. The moment he did that he became an unguided missile and when you do that you are responsible for anything and everything that happens next. In this case that means he is responsible for crashing into his opponent with excessive force endangering the safety of his opponent. It's really no more complicated than that."
MookieBlaylock
AG
You realize you dont need to quote yourself
You can just say it again

Rudyjax
AG
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdmu9nAU/
PatAg
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I wrote this on my ref board in response to someone who questioned why it was a red card.

" Danielson launched himself in the air with a locked leg parallel to the ground 2 feet in the air. The moment he did that he became an unguided missile and when you do that you are responsible for anything and everything that happens next. In this case that means he is responsible for crashing into his opponent with excessive force endangering the safety of his opponent. It's really no more complicated than that."
This is a good way to phrase it. If he makes that play with no one within 10 yards, it's fine. I do think the fact that the guys leg hyperextended made it seem a lot worse, and I don't think the severity of an injury should impact what color card you get. The play itself is either dangerous or it isnt.

I do think sometimes there are plays where someone reaches out to trap a falling ball with their instep, and the refs hands out a card incorrectly.
Yes, technically your studs are exposed, but thats how you trap that ball.
oh no
AG
Good luck if you had to go to work today. Between Euros and Copa America, there are four quarter finals match ups today

11a, 2p, 4p, and 7p
Jason_Ag98
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Both teams are pressing and neither is defensively very comfortable. I'm predicting an epic playing out of the back goal
La Bamba
AG
Spain defense is a long way from those 08 - 12 teams. Man, they are shaky.
akm91
AG
Another deflected goal. I guess that's not considered an OG.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
KCup17
AG
If the shot was on target before the deflection then I think it counts as a goal and not an OG. Someone can correct me if that's not the case but I think that's how I've heard it described.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

If the shot was on target before the deflection then I think it counts as a goal and not an OG. Someone can correct me if that's not the case but I think that's how I've heard it described.
You are correct. If on target it's not an own goal.
Mathguy64
AG
The Kosovonian-Albanians are putting up a decent fight but it's not like Spain is world beaters.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The Kosovonian-Albanians are putting up a decent fight but it's not like Spain is world beaters.

What does this mean?
Mathguy64
AG
Switzerland isn't really a home grown team. They are mostly players from Kosovo or Albania with some FIFA derived Swiss nationality.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Switzerland isn't really a home grown team. They are mostly players from Kosovo or Albania with some FIFA derived Swiss nationality.
Well you can't be neutral on a moving train.
Mathguy64
AG
Oops.
OregonAggie
AG
POWERCUBE ENGAGED
Mathguy64
AG
Interesting call. I think at this level that's yellow.
gougler08
AG
Mathguy64 said:

No way it should be red
Max Power
AG
Red? Really? That's a little much.
Mathguy64
AG
gougler08 said:

Mathguy64 said:

No way it should be red

The only real issue is it was a scissor tackle. It's more harsh than wrong for me.
snowdog90
Terrible call. So tired of these new rules that make it dangerous to try your hardest.

Swiss player gets ball, Spanish player fakes injury, red card.

Bull*****
gougler08
AG
Mathguy64 said:

gougler08 said:

Mathguy64 said:

No way it should be red

The only real issue is it was a scissor tackle. It's more harsh than wrong for me.
Incredibly harsh since he really caught him with the trail leg and won the ball
ryanhnc10
AG
Red cards are far too punitive for them to ever be awarded for anything that is remotely boderline, especially at this level and this type of game. It better be super obvious for a straight red and this one was not
bagger05
AG
Especially with VAR. You can always upgrade it to red if it warrants it.
ptothemo
AG
I should know the answer to this, but I don't guess I do. Can VAR not review the red and/or ask the center ref to review it? I know that a yellow can be upgraded to red, but can red be downgraded to yellow? Logically, they should be able to, but I know better than think there's actual logic in these things.

ETA - I am 99% sure I've seen red downgraded by VAR in the EPL, so my question is more pertaining to whatever VAR guidelines the EUROS are under.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.