****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,933 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That save from Donnarumma
oh no
AG
yeah, but pretty soon, they won't consistently year after year be FIFA ranked ahead of all of brazil, france, italy, spain, germany, etc.
Max Power
AG
So the guy rolling around in agony in the box didn't have much pain after his team scored, shocking.
zgood10
AG
Max Power said:

So the guy rolling around in agony in the box didn't have much pain after his team scored, shocking.
that was hilarious
also the replay of the goal and he's rolling around in slo-mo, like Scott Sterling
oh no
AG
he was faking in injury in an offside position. If they had deemed it a distraction to the keeper/ part of the play, that goal could have been disallowed, right?
Mathguy64
AG
For the record I don't just referee tons of games at all ages and levels but I am an instructor and referee mentor/coach. It's not a non call play on. "Getting the ball" has literally nothing to do with a foul. Not here or any more in the Danielson play earlier. That defender got the ball first too. And he may have destroyed someone's knee in the process.

We can argue over the color and I said up front I thought at this level it's yellow (and thought Oliver should have gone yellow and then have the chance to upgrade if needed) but it's definitely a foul and card and in every instruction clinic that kind of video is shown for teaching purposes to break down the parts of serious foul play.
Mathguy64
AG
Italy is on a mission and not playing like your father's Italy.
oh no
AG
great goal
Mathguy64
AG
Foul and PK
Thunder18
AG
Utterly stupid foul to give there
oh no
AG
lukaku needs to hit this
Max Power
AG
Is Chellini 57 years old?
Max Power
AG
oh no said:

he was faking in injury in an offside position. If they had deemed it a distraction to the keeper/ part of the play, that goal could have been disallowed, right?
If he was doing something like this...

La Bamba
AG
oh no said:

this is Belgium's golden generation. Once a couple of these guys age out, they may not be FIFA ranked #1 again for a long, long time.

I don't know but had Lukaku been born in SEC country he'd be an SEC linebacker. I can't help but think if we'd put our top athletes on a football pitch it'd be like 11 Lukakus.
gougler08
AG
Thunder18 said:

Utterly stupid foul to give there
Such a needless lifeline for Belgium
La Bamba
AG
For Italy to miss the 18 WC to look like the best team in Europe 2 years later is a heck of a turnaround. Still think France is Europe's most talented team but Italy is playing on quite the level right now.
Rudyjax
AG
La Bamba said:

oh no said:

this is Belgium's golden generation. Once a couple of these guys age out, they may not be FIFA ranked #1 again for a long, long time.

I don't know but had Lukaku been born in SEC country he'd be an SEC linebacker. I can't help but think if we'd put our top athletes on a football pitch it'd be like 11 Lukakus.

I agreee. Imagine Jaylon Waddle and Davonte Smith or even in our backyard Johnny Manziel dedicating themselves to soccer.
snowdog90
Mathguy64 said:

For the record I don't just referee tons of games at all ages and levels but I am an instructor and referee mentor/coach. It's not a non call play on. "Getting the ball" has literally nothing to do with a foul. Not here or any more in the Danielson play earlier. That defender got the ball first too. And he may have destroyed someone's knee in the process.

We can argue over the color and I said up front I thought at this level it's yellow (and thought Oliver should have gone yellow and then have the chance to upgrade if needed) but it's definitely a foul and card and in every instruction clinic that kind of video is shown for teaching purposes to break down the parts of serious foul play.

Cool. As I said, in the 70s 80s early 90s, I'm not sure the whistle is blown. Today, I'm fine with that being a yellow. I just hate penalizing players who are playing hard and win the ball. Collisions will always happen in competitive sports. I just get so tired of players making meals out of every time they get touched.

Switzerland had their chance to win, cannot blame that call for their loss. I'm a little ticked, though, cuz they were my upset pick.
Mathguy64
AG
I absolutely agree that in the past that was not red or even called. In the EPL today that's a standard yellow and no one questions it.

The game is changing.
Mathguy64
AG
Wow. What a pass by KdB and that close to a tie
Mathguy64
AG
Oof. Not a foul and Belgium would have had a massive 3 v2 break.
Max Power
AG
When Italy plays aggressive they are just a ton of fun to watch. They are the anti-French in that regard. Doesn't matter how talented France is, their style of play is generally boring by comparison. Belgium is playing on their heels right now, Italy is really working them.
snowdog90
Mathguy64 said:

I absolutely agree that in the past that was not red or even called. In the EPL today that's a standard yellow and no one questions it.

The game is changing.

Yep, and I admit I'm a fossil/grumpy old man yelling at clouds. And maybe all in all the changes are for the better. I hate seeing guys get hurt, but I also hate the flops...

Meanwhile... LUKAKU!!! OMG!!! FINISH THAT!!!

Sheesh!!
Mathguy64
AG
Lukaku mistimed his jump or he's got a second crack at tying it.
Mathguy64
AG
Injuries are piling up.
snowdog90
Max Power said:

When Italy plays aggressive they are just a ton of fun to watch. They are the anti-French in that regard. Doesn't matter how talented France is, their style of play is generally boring by comparison. Belgium is playing on their heels right now, Italy is really working them.

Yep. I just texted my kid that Italy are the best team/system I've seen in this tourney. Defend well as a team, always have guys making runs at the right times in the right spots.
gougler08
AG
How has Belgium not tied this yet?
OneBlitzer
AG
Poor guy. Real emotion.
Mathguy64
AG
Italy just made their last sub. Rolling the dice a bit.
PatAg
AG
I think they had their hand forced by the injured player right? Don't you only have 3 sub windows now to make 5 subs?
PatAg
AG
That was almost an insane goal
Mathguy64
AG
PatAg said:

I think they had their hand forced by the injured player right? Don't you only have 3 sub windows now to make 5 subs?

Correct.
Mathguy64
AG
Italy going into full on embellishment mode.
boogieman
AG
Whaddya mean? That's legal in CONCACAF.
Mathguy64
AG
The hell??? I could have sworn they had 5?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.