****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,921 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes but it has to be a clear and obvious error. Like you gave a red for a handball and it actually hit his chest or something.

This case it was probably harsh but not clear and obvious error.
snowdog90
ryanhnc10 said:

Red cards are far too punitive for them to ever be awarded for anything that is remotely boderline, especially at this level and this type of game. It better be super obvious for a straight red and this one was not

This has been my stance for years, very well said. We were set up for a great finish to this game, and now the Swiss have to defend. Anything can still happen, but the ref should never change the game like that wrongly. And I get that refs are human and make mistakes, but var should overturn that, or the ref should have given yellow and taken a closer look before giving red.
gougler08
AG
ptothemo said:

I should know the answer to this, but I don't guess I do. Can VAR not review the red and/or ask the center ref to review it? I know that a yellow can be upgraded to red, but can red be downgraded to yellow? Logically, they should be able to, but I know better than think there's actual logic in these things.

ETA - I am 99% sure I've seen red downgraded by VAR in the EPL, so my question is more pertaining to whatever VAR guidelines the EUROS are under.
VAR confirmed it and they won't overturn anything unless it's a blatant mistake / rule application (red card to wrong person, handball that didn't hit a hand, etc.)
Rudyjax
AG
Sweden match. Center gives the yellow and then upgrades it after watching the video.

That's how you do it.
Mathguy64
AG
Scissor tackles from tue side or behind are nasty things and endanger the safety of a player. This is pretty close to the tackle that just took out KdB. In any match below a professional one that's a red all day long.
OregonAggie
AG
Kevin the 3-legged dog said:

Sweden match. Center gives the yellow and then upgrades it after watching the video.

That's how you do it.

Absolutely. That wasn't a damn straight red
OregonAggie
AG
Sommer has been amazing for Switzerland during this tournament. I feel like he is quite underrated.
snowdog90
Mathguy64 said:

Scissor tackles from tue side or behind are nasty things and endanger the safety of a player. This is pretty close to the tackle that just took out KdB. In any match below a professional one that's a red all day long.

It was not a scissor tackle. It shouldn't have been a red card in any league.
wangus12
AG
Xhaka leading the huddle again.
PatAg
AG
Audio just cut out for anyone?
gougler08
AG
What a block by the Swiss defender
Rudyjax
AG
PatAg said:

Audio just cut out for anyone?

No. You should get your hearing checked ASAP.
Rudyjax
AG
So at risk of jinxing the Swiss, if they advance is Freuler suspended? Or as in league play, can they rescind the red card?
KCup17
AG
Spain would be lethal if they had a true scoring threat in the no. 9 spot. I mean Sommer is good but these forwards arent even putting shots on target from inside the 18.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

Spain would be lethal if they had a true scoring threat in the no. 9 spot. I mean Sommer is good but these forwards arent even putting shots on target from inside the 18.

Just goes to show how few true good 9s there really are.
PatAg
AG
I finally found a decent replay of it online. From the refs initial angle I could see why he'd give a straight red, as it looks like he just comes in studes up right below the knee.

This is kind of similar to the other day, where the player swings through the ball and then his studs are exposed, imo. However, he does end up getting him with both legs, even if its not what normally looks like a scissor tackle.
Mathguy64
AG
snowdog90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

It was not a scissor tackle. It shouldn't have been a red card in any league.

So you are ok if someone tackles you like that? Not just once but twice? Because a yellow says "you did it once but don't do that again" and it tells every other player they can do that too and stay on the field.

It wasn't a pretty tackle. In an adult league there would be punches thrown over that kind of tackle more often than not. We just aren't used to it being shown red especially if you watch EPL where anything short of a broken leg or torn ligaments is mostly ignored.
PatAg
AG
I think a lot of teams would benefit from going back to a 2 striker system.
Mathguy64
AG

So at risk of jinxing the Swiss, if they advance is Freuler suspended? Or as in league play, can they rescind the red card?

Can they? In theory. Will they? No chance. Not after VAR affirmed the card.
KCup17
AG
Suisse have got to be gassed. Back to Back extra time games going to PK's. Wonder if it will effect the kick takers. If it ends up going to PK's
gougler08
AG
Spain have to be worried now with how good the Swiss took penalties against France
Rudyjax
AG
KFTM!
Rudyjax
AG
Will he be out the next match if they win?
Mathguy64
AG

KFTM!

And the ever popular "reduce to equate".
Mathguy64
AG

Will he be out the next match if they win?

Yes. And the Swiss just lost a second to accumulation.
Max Power
AG
Switzerland is playing with house money. All the pressure is on Spain.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

KFTM!

And the ever popular "reduce to equate".

Keeper or someone else?
La Bamba
AG
Spain - how many chances do you need to put it away. Ugh. No finishers.
wangus12
AG
C'mon Switzerland
wangus12
AG
Holy hell Busquets
Max Power
AG
Post!
Mathguy64
AG
You get to choose who you take off. You have to have a GK so if you take yours to "reduce" you still have to put someone in gloves.
Rudyjax
AG
Yikes. That's no how you start it.
La Bamba
AG
What. In. The. F
PatAg
AG
Im not rooting for the Swiss, and I don't hate Spain...but I like it when the traditional teams in Europe lose.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.