****Official Euros 2020 (2021) Tournament Thread****

90,864 Views | 2215 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by stillmerk
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was freaking awesome
Mathguy64
AG
Scotland v Croatia tomorrow is set for a winner take all match. The winner gets 4 points and is on to R16. A tie leaves both at 2 points and DOA.
DeangeloVickers
AG
For those that missed it

PatAg
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

For those that missed it

First 2 responses on that tweet are great, and sum it up.

First person is complaining about the call, the 2nd person rightfully points out the announcer let the crowd do the speaking. Something hardly any American announcers do.
deadbq03
AG
So the benchmark to guarantee the knockout round is 3 pts, 0 GD, right?
ptothemo
AG
Just getting caught up this evening and all I have to say is T&P to the net in Copenhagen.
Mathguy64
AG
Of the 3rd place teams: Switz is at 4 and in. Ukraine is 3 and -1, Finland is 3 and -2. Spain could get 3 and 0 with a tie and Slovakia is already at 3 and 0 and they play each other so at worst someone is at 3 and 0. Ij that same group is Poland beats Sweden they get to 4 and are in. The winner of Croat/Scot is in at 4. Group F is a cluster and all 4 teams are alive.

So yes. I think 3 and 0 for a 3rd place team is the cut line.
deadbq03
AG
Oh man, I didn't look hard. Group E and F are hot messes. If Poland or Hungary wins, then 3 pts might not be good enough for either of those groups.

This 24 team format has really amped up the drama in the group stage. Might make for some really lopsided knockout games, but presently it's awesome how literally everyone has a chance going in to the last match day.
KCup17
AG
Was re-watching the highlights this morning and I get chills each time Christensen scores.
oh no
AG
I can't decide which match to watch today.
PatAg
AG
Wow, Scotland was ALL over Croatia to start the game with no goals to show for it. Croatia just took the lead
oh no
AG
Scots and Checks have both conceded already

Looking good for England and Croatia
KCup17
AG
Sterling opens the scoring for England. Was just about to make a joke about how Sterling doesn't score in big games too.
Furlock Bones
AG
Scotland will actually need to score not 1 but at least 2 goals.

The magic 8 ball says...

Not likely
oh no
AG
Scot - Croatia is the more exciting match so far

Wouldn't mind seeing the Scots score one or two more and the three lions with all their superstars Southgate themselves
Furlock Bones
AG
Scotland actually scored! Still need at least 1 more. Probably 2.
deadbq03
AG
Furlock Bones said:

The magic 8 ball says...

Not likely
All they need to do is win, and they are guaranteed to be one of the 3rd place teams that advance.
oh no
AG
Quote:

Scotland can secure second place if they beat Croatia and England lose against the Czech Republic.
However, it would require a sizeable swing in goal difference, since England are currently three goals better off.

If Scotland fail to beat Croatia (who also have just one point so far) they will be eliminated.

Should England and the Czech Republic draw and move up to five points, then Scotland can't finish in the top two automatic qualification places.

The most likely way for Scotland to qualify would be as one of the four best third-placed teams in the six groups. Four points would be enough.
Scotland needs 3 pts for the win.

Meanwhile for the other match on ESPN:
Quote:

While England and Czech Republic have already qualified, there's the question of who will win the group as their finish will determine who will face in the last 16.

If England finish top of Group D they will play the runners-up of Group F - that could be France, Germany, Portugal or Hungary.

If England are runners-up in Group D they will play the runners-up from Group E - one of Sweden, Slovakia, Spain or Poland.
Furlock Bones
AG
deadbq03 said:

Furlock Bones said:

The magic 8 ball says...

Not likely
All they need to do is win, and they are guaranteed to be one of the 3rd place teams that advance.
i wrote this before they equalized.but, they have to not let another goal in. i think they'll need 3 to win this match.
deadbq03
AG
My bad. I read your comments from a lens of playing the GD game. Didn't dawn on me that you simply meant it'll probably take a couple more goals to secure a win today.
oh no
AG
Right. We don't yet know what GD it will take for a 3rd place team on 4 points to advance, but Scotland started the day with 1 pt and -1 GD. If they win 2-1 today, they'd be at 4 pts and 0 GD, which may not be enough.
deadbq03
AG
oh no said:

Right. We don't yet know what GD it will take for a 3rd place team on 4 points to advance, but Scotland started the day with 1 pt and -1 GD. If they win 2-1 today, they'd be at 4 pts and 0 GD, which may not be enough.
4 pts is in no matter what since there are already 2 3rd place teams on 3 pts.
Bryan98
AG
A winner between Scotland and Croatia will advance, period, because any winner will be on 4 points, which we already know will be enough. So both teams should be going at it hammer and tongs.
oh no
AG
then let's go get one more goal, Scotland!

oh no
AG
I only love Croatia when they're wearing their black shirts and when they're not playing v Scotland!
oh no
AG
Damn modric is good.
Mathguy64
AG
Scotland had an uphill climb now.
Mathguy64
AG
The fighting Ic's can't afford to give up anything either.
KCup17
AG
Looks like curtains for Scotland. McGinn missed an absolute sitter. only downhill after that.
Mathguy64
AG
That should do it. I can't see as Scotland getting 3 more.
TRM
AG
Yup. Don't see Scotland scoring 3 more here.
deadbq03
AG
Seems like the keeper should've been able to take a stab at that. I'm not sure what he thought was gonna happen but he could see the ball the whole way.
Mathguy64
AG
If Croatia gets one more they would finish in 2nd instead of 3rd
Rudyjax
AG
I still don't understand why no one was contact traced with Scotland but 2 English players were. Makes no sense.

Anyone?
oh no
AG
Glancing header. Keeper couldn't react. Great goal by Croatia

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.