Houston
Sponsored by

******CITY UNDER SIEGE 2022*****

334,682 Views | 2650 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Diggity
Marvin_Zindler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

She's a mother f****** moron.

The fact that anyone in Houston (or on the Tine Board) could cover for her ridiculous ass as doing anything but a complete sh***y job is laughable.
MarathonAg12
Daddy-O5
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

I can smell that photo.
RC_57
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

I can smell that photo.
"I can smell that photo."

Think I just threw-up in my mouth...
MarathonAg12
RC_57 said:

Daddy-O5 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

I can smell that photo.
"I can smell that photo."

Think I just threw-up in my mouth...

You don't like fermented cabbage? Kimchi?
BarryProfit
HOUSTON The recommendation of the Harris County Commissioners Court to require that bonding companies collect a minimum percentage of bail before posting a surety bond was voted down Wednesday night.

The breakdown of votes was 4-4. Five votes were needed to pass the proposal.

Harris County Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia joined the Harris County Bail Bond Board meeting Wednesday evening to discuss a proposal requiring 10% minimum of assessed bail to be paid down for certain people accused of violent crimes.

The proposal was made to help mitigate the rise of crime over the past years in the city of Houston and Harris County.

Supporters of the proposal said a standard percentage of what needs to be required by bail bond companies should be at least 10% of the bail. They believe this would stop the undercutting of the high bails being set by judges in violent cases, making it a little harder.

The opponents argued that the move was politically motivated and maintained that the bail bond board lacks the authority to implement such a rule change, saying that doing so would violate existing statutes or constitutional provisions.

Commissioner Rodney Ellis also spoke in favor of the plan, and representatives of Mayor Sylvester Turner and Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said the two high-ranking officials are in support as well.

During her opening statement, Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said the nation is experiencing a gun violence pandemic and is alarmed this proposal is being pushed off. She said the board has the opportunity today to make a difference.

Garcia urged the board to do the right thing, stating it's not about politics but families impacted by this. He said the loved ones of the victims are put in a state of fear when the suspects are back on the streets after they were given a 1% to 2% minimum bond. He said enforcing a 10% standard should be a no-brainer to help protect victims and keep neighborhoods safe.

Families of victims also spoke at the board meeting, including the family of Diamond Alvarez, a 16-year-old girl who was killed after police say her boyfriend shot her 22 times on Feb. 11. The boyfriend, Frank Deleon Jr., 17, was taken into custody and charged with murder but bonded out of jail after a $250,000 bond was set, according to court records. The family said since Deleon's release, they have been receiving threats and are scared for their lives.

"I think it's unfair, my family has been harassed, threatened continuously since Jan. 11. Since this happened, they've been ran off from the field and harassed in their homes. think its unfair that this man is out free," Alvarez's aunt said.

READ: Inside the Houston area's violent year: 12 stories offer a glimpse into trauma, loss experienced in our area in 2021

A family member of David Castro, a teen who was killed after leaving an Astros game with his family during a road rage incident in July, was also in attendance. They, too, support the proposal. The suspect, Gerald Wayne Williams, the man accused in David's death, turned himself into police after a month-long manhunt. Two months later, Williams made bail.

Many lawmakers in attendance said that there are many other additional improvements that need to be made to the criminal justice system but this would definitely be a good starting point.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said the meeting is just the beginning of change in the community but that it also starts with accountability in the community.

"In my opinion, bail bond companies shouldn't be used as a scapegoat, it's an entire system," Gonzalez said. "We have to be sure that we don't have tunnel vision on this meeting and think this will solve everything ... we can't paint everyone with a broad brush and say it's the entire industry cause it's not."

The board went into a close session to review the matter further before taking a final note of the decision.
MarathonAg12

Jackal99
AG
Am I reading that right? Garcia, Ellis, and Hidalgo were in favor of it and it didn't pass? Who TF is voting against it?
Ciboag96
****ing communist
BBRex
AG
Jackal99 said:

Am I reading that right? Garcia, Ellis, and Hidalgo were in favor of it and it didn't pass? Who TF is voting against it?
Activist idiots.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I really don't understand the situation here. My experience with bail bonds is bailing friends out for MIPs and such, and probably not in the last 15-20 years. But from what I recall, JP or judge sets bail at $2k, you go to the bondsman and give him $200, dumbass gets out of jail and bondsman gets to keep your $200 as a payment for the risk he took in vouch ing for said dumbass.

Are these people not putting down anywhere near 10% for their $75k bond?

I think I will enjoy the intra-left fight between bail reformers and democrats trying to get re-elected in the middle of a crime wave.
Sea Speed
AG
They are putting up 1-2% and then when they skip, the bonds aren't even being revoked so the bind companies have no incentive to really do anything besides collect that 1-2% premium. They aren't out anything when their clients skip so why do they care?
ChipFTAC01
AG
So who makes the decision about not revoking the bonds? Dumb judges?
Sea Speed
AG
From what others have said previously, it is kind of a process to revoke so they just don't. I'm sure there is some activism waited with laziness and ineptitude in there. Others here can give you more thorough insight.
TJaggie14
AG
Quote:

Bail bondsman Ken Good argued Harris County doesn't have the authority to make that change.

"You are acting as the Texas legislature," Good said, "If you want to set what we should charge that should be done, if it can, at the Texas legislature, not here."

Bondsmen argue whether they collect 1 percent or 10 percent, they forfeit the entire bond if the defendant doesn't show. They point out they are extremely motivated to get the suspect to appear for court dates.
Here is the breakdown:

Quote:

Of the eight members present on the 11-person board, four Kathryn Kase, legal counsel for Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo; Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez; Harris County Treasurer Dylan Osborne; and Wes McCoy, representing Harris County District Clerk Marilyn Burgess voted in favor of the minimum fee.

Defense attorney Troy McKinney and Mario Garza, president of the Harris County Professional Bonding Association, voted against the measure, while Judge Angela Rodriguez and Michael Butera, a representative for the Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg, abstained. Judges Amy Martin, Shannon Baldwin and J. Elaine Marshall were not present for the vote.
Sea Speed
AG
Pathetic that Oggs minions abstained, at her direction no doubt.
TJaggie14
AG
For sure they abstained on Boss Oggs orders.

Also, I agree with Chip
Quote:

I think I will enjoy the intra-left fight between bail reformers and democrats trying to get re-elected in the middle of a crime wave.
txags92
AG
The problem as I understand it is not that they are not revoking the bonds. That happens pretty easily when the criminal fails to appear. But they are not attempting to collect the value of the revoked bonds from the bail bond companies. Since the bail bond companies are not forced to fork over anything when somebody skips town, they have 1) no incentive to keep an eye on the people they bond out to make sure they appear, and 2) no incentive to go find the criminal that skipped, because they won't have to pay any financial penalty for their lack of appearance.

If the process is too difficult to go get their money, then we need to simplify that process. Make it so the bail bond companies have to put up financial assurance documents for the size bonds they want to insure, and then give the city/county a direct withdrawal capability on whatever accounts they use for financial assurance. When somebody doesn't show up, the bail company gets a week or so to arrange a different date for their appearance, and if they don't respond or the perp doesn't show up, direct withdraw the full bond amount. Put all the money they collect from skipped bonds into a crime victim's fund.
Boo Weekley
MarathonAg12 said:

A new way to imagine hell. Seriously, spending any amount of time with those women would be pure torture and agony.
Diggity
AG
Boo Weekley said:

MarathonAg12 said:

A new way to imagine hell. Seriously, spending any amount of time with those women would be pure torture and agony.
why do you hate strong, opinionated women Boo?
jh0400
AG
Diggity said:

Boo Weekley said:

MarathonAg12 said:

I could come up with a few ways to pass the time with Debra Messing that wouldn't be torture for me.
Valtrex11
Diggity said:

Boo Weekley said:

MarathonAg12 said:

That room most smell like queefs and dirty underwear.
Boo Weekley
jh0400 said:

Diggity said:

Boo Weekley said:

MarathonAg12 said:

I could come up with a few ways to pass the time with Debra Messing that wouldn't be torture for me.
She's a rabid leftist with stage 5 brain rot and crazy eyes. Not the same person physically or mentally that she was decades ago. She'd probably somehow manage to find a way to make it an unpleasant experience. Plot her out on the crazy hot matrix and you'll see that you are playing with fire.

Ag_07
AG
So you mean to tell me this young upstanding gentleman committed additional felonies while out on bond? No way

Smeghead4761
Gotta love the Everlasting Jobstopper tattoos.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

those are so pervasive that even the lucrative profession of bicycle shop mechanic is off the table.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The minimum bond initiative was just window dressing, of dubious legality at that.

As has been pointed out, the origin of the problem is the bench- (1) low bonds, (2) no bond forfeitures, and (3) few/no trials forcing bail reductions and/or release. Passing that initiative would have given the democrat judges and commissioners court cover without fixing the underlying root problems, all while inviting a suit against the County.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Ag_07 said:

So you mean to tell me this young upstanding gentleman committed additional felonies while out on bond? No way

At least he's reppin' for the Astros.
Al Bula
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

i have not heard this one before.

maroon barchetta
Oh dear. Sad story. Very very sad.

This should not go into the murder numbers, correct?

https://abc13.com/car-burglary-shooting-southwest-houston-shots-fired-man-run-over-burglar-killed/11642342/
Diggity
AG
Quote:

"So my brother calls, and he's like, 'What are you doing?' And then he calls my other brothers for backup, so that's when everything else happened," Ulysses said. "And I hear my brothers, and I see that it's my brothers, so they are telling me, 'Call 911. Call 911. He just got ran over.' And I'm like, 'Who?'"
maroon barchetta
Ulysses was hard to follow.
Jackal99
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Sounds like ol' Ulysses was on a crazy odyssey of dialogue.
MAROON
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Oh dear. Sad story. Very very sad.

This should not go into the murder numbers, correct?

https://abc13.com/car-burglary-shooting-southwest-houston-shots-fired-man-run-over-burglar-killed/11642342/
I would classify that as a job related fatality. Call OSHA.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
maroon barchetta
Jackal99 said:

maroon barchetta said:

Sounds like ol' Ulysses was on a crazy odyssey of dialogue.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.