Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,698 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
Post removed:
by user
Big Cat `93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just hope they stay off my girlfriend's house. And my parents' house. And my sister's house. And my GF's parents' house. And...

Thankfully...sort of...not as many to knock over after Rita and Ike.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Harvey was a Cat 4 at landfall. It went from a Cat 1 at 6 pm on 8/24 to a Cat 4 by 12 am 8/26.
Gig-Em2003
AG
third coast.. said:

And ikes storm surge was much larger than anticipated. Will the fact that we just had another storm in the gulf make the surge act wonky?
Ike was a huge storm - much bigger than Laura looks like it will be. That's why it was such a shock for everyone in Galveston to wake up that morning to storm surge before it was even windy/raining. It impacted the coast for ~18 hours before landfall if I recall.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

third coast.. said:

And ikes storm surge was much larger than anticipated. Will the fact that we just had another storm in the gulf make the surge act wonky?
Ike was a huge storm - much bigger than Laura looks like it will be. That's why it was such a shock for everyone in Galveston to wake up that morning to storm surge before it was even windy/raining. It impacted the coast for ~18 hours before landfall if I recall.
Best part of the pre-storm surge of Ike:

Bassmaster
AG
West Texas Lawyer said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

third coast.. said:

Best part of the pre-storm surge of Ike:

Still gets me every time all these years later!
Scientific
AG

Edit: beat me to it. Classic moment that's neck and neck with the prius.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
third coast.. said:

I thought boat people would know this...

I am disappoint.
Bigballin
AG
4pm forecast is holding to a Sabine Pass landfall
Premium
AG
Bigballin said:

4pm forecast is holding to a Sabine Pass landfall
wind speeds ?
Aggie71013
AG
RebelE Infantry
AG
115mph sustained I think
TXAG14
Houston looking safer and safer with each update.
TarponChaser
Gig-Em2003 said:

third coast.. said:

IIRC, that was the big issue with Ike along the coast. It was extremely slow moving and had a huge circumference (that's what she said).

So a CAT1 storm pushed a CAT4 surge.
Fitch
AG
Sticking to their guns on the track alignment, but hedging somewhat.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT3+shtml/232055.shtml
Quote:

The new forecast track has a slight eastward nudge during the first 12-24 h, but the landfall position is almost unchanged from that of the previous forecast. It should the be noted that the current forecast track lies to the east of the ECMWF and UKMET models, so it is still possible that the forecast track could nudge westward in later advisories.

All indications are that the hurricane should steadily to rapidly intensify during the next 24 h, with the only negative factor being the possibility of more dry air entrainment. The intensity forecast will go with the scenario that the dry air will not significantly hinder strengthening. The global models are in good agreement that Laura will encounter increasing southwesterly shear in the last 6-12 h before landfall, so the intensity forecast shows slower strengthening during that time. With all that said, the landfall intensity of 100 kt is unchanged from the previous advisory. (i.e. category 3)

Users are again reminded not to focus on the exact details of the track or intensity forecasts as the average NHC track error at 36 h is around 60 miles and the average intensity error is close to 10
mph. In addition, wind, storm surge, and rainfall hazards will extend far from the center.
Bigballin
AG
TXAG14 said:

Houston looking safer and safer with each update.

Houston is looking better but my butthole is still puckered up a little. That's not because I live in Montrose.
Martin Q. Blank
Houston is completely out of the cone now.
crougar10
AG
Check out Alan Lammey on Facebook for what I believe is the most accurate updates!
Seabreeze
With every run its looking better. The Euro falling in line now with a East Texas, Border landfall.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG

Have you ever been on a Ferris Wheel during a Hurricane?
cwpaggie07
AG
rilloaggie said:

Briar Forest Kroger! I filled up there about an hour ago, really makes you think.
gougler08
AG
crougar10 said:

Check out Alan Lammey on Facebook for what I believe is the most accurate updates!

And what does he say?
Agman
AG
cwpaggie07 said:

rilloaggie said:

Briar Forest Kroger! I filled up there about an hour ago, really makes you think.
Lame, was hoping for a Zoolander type scene.
BearJew13
AG
Thanks Alan
Anti-taxxer
AG
gougler08 said:

crougar10 said:

And what does he say?

An hour ago he said he predicts a Houston/Galveston landfall.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
i-10 westbound is fubar from Hankamer to downtown.

90 and 105 westbound is effed too

i-10 east is wide open

pretty much tells the tell
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Who is this guy lol?
94chem
Looking a lot like Rita at this point. Terrible for PA and Beaumont if that's the case. Galveston maybe okay, but Bolivar gotta be sweating bullets.
Big Cat `93
AG
I remember dropping off my sister at SFA the day before Hurricane Andrew was supposed to hit the Triangle. Northbound traffic was gridlocked from Lufkin to Kountze, which is where I turned to get to our house. I told my parents to come to my apartment in CS, but my dad said it would turn toward Louisiana, which of course it did. Rained at the house for about 5 minutes.
rangerdanger
AG
Just looking at the latest radar, and Frank on NBC said the same, I'm wondering when the push westward will happen. Looking at it now seems like the High pressure system is steering it to Louisiana.
herb96
AG
94chem said:

Looking a lot like Rita at this point. Terrible for PA and Beaumont if that's the case. Galveston maybe okay, but Bolivar gotta be sweating bullets.
Yup, Bolivar got KO during Ike.
BPCAg05
AG
It seems like the NHC model is the most eastern of most of them but all of the models are at least showing East of Houston
Seabreeze
Why i haven't pulled the trigger on leaving in the past and now, and probably never will until the last minute. Just to much uncertainty with this stuff.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
What are the odds the models completely **** this up and it comes up 288 via Freeport
2-5%?
Cromagnum
AG
I45 northbound near League City is a ****show. Mandatory evacuation from Galveston and then a cement truck causes a huge wreck and knocks things down to 1 lane.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.