Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,269 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
videoag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks, I guess just wondering about extended outage >24 hrs and wondering if its worth
picking up the generator tomorrow I ordered from Lowes, or just canceling the order. If its just a few hours outage, I wouldn't worry, just don't want it to be like Ike when we were out over a week.

LostInLA07
AG
Watch the wobble. At this point it may barely rain.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Still got 3 weeks of this crap until the peak of the season is over, so not done yet. I'd grab it just to be safe then return it later if you can.
Ag12thman
AG
Agree with 98Ag - pick it up and keep it for at least 3 weeks and then see if they'll take it back if you don't use it. They are great to have in case of hurricanes, but you also have to store them for 3/4 of the year (unless you have an RV and travel a lot).
videoag98
AG
Yea, Think I will do that. I'll just keep it sealed in the box unless the SHTF, and return it in a few weeks.
Seabreeze
Always have one handy. Best investment you can make especially with kids and a wife. This one i can run a window unit to keep a room cool to sleep in, a fridge, ice maker, TV with antenna for weather.
rangerdanger
AG
Most of the impulse generator buys on here are conventional typed right? Depending on your needs I would research buying an inverter generator, especially if you're planning on running "sensitive" equipment like phones and laptops. Should give a cleaner current and reduce the risk of frying stuff.
Buck Turgidson
Willy Wonka said:

Buck Turgidson said:

Premium said:

Cromagnum said:

Yall are welcome. I bought a generator and a portable AC today just in case.

Me too, at least my wife was smart enough to not fill up the 40 gallons of gas cans. Will return all.
My wife bought a generator today and the guy in line behind her (who was also buying one) told her not to take it out of the box unless we had to use it so she could return it later. We live in Houston - there will be a regular stream of these events and other power outages. We don't intend to return it unless we figure out that its not powerful enough.

You can't tell if it's powerful enough unless you take it out of the box and if you take it out of the box you can't return it.

Seabreeze
don't return it. Just treat it like a lawn mower. Keep gas in summer, drain in the winter. Start and run every now and then. These small things look like a waste of money, but you would be surprised how much you use them when you have one outside of power outages
12th Man Ag
AG
If you already bought it, pick it up. You will always be glad to have it and not need it vs. the alternative.
Seabreeze
12th Man Ag said:

If you already bought it, pick it up. You will always be glad to have it and not need it vs. the alternative.

This man knows
Ag12thman
AG
Of course, if you have money and space to spare, keep it as others are encouraging. Next time, you may really need one and they may be sold out before the storm arrives. So, it really just depends on your current situation.
agz win
AG
meatsweats said:

Thanks, I guess just wondering about extended outage >24 hrs and wondering if its worth
picking up the generator tomorrow I ordered from Lowes, or just canceling the order. If its just a few hours outage, I wouldn't worry, just don't want it to be like Ike when we were out over a week.

Whatever you do don't leave gas in it for 11 years And counting having never used it and let it just sit there in the garage while it rusts.
Seabreeze
and buy in the off season if you can. I picked the one pictured up for 399 a few years ago in December.
The one before lasted me 15 years. Its noisy, but low storage space, good gas consumption and does what I need it to do.
videoag98
AG

Well I could pick it up and be out $800 but have some piece of mind.
Not sure if it would it would overkill though 6250 Watts and 8500 starting watts
Guess better to have more power than not enough

or get a smaller (quieter ) inverter generator.
Harbor Freight has a 2000W for $499

Seabreeze
You should hunt, fish more, or join a BBQ team. Your generator will never leave you.
Seabreeze
Do what suits your needs brother. Its never a bad idea to own one whatever type.
LostInLA07
AG
WalMart had 5500W generators for $400 this morning. They all looked like they had been purchased and returned once or twice each year for the last 10 years.
TheVarian
AG
Better safe than sorry, as many found out during Ike, Harvey, Allison, and soon Laura...
BowSowy
AG
gougler08 said:

Crazy how we had the Euro model west of Houston this morning and now everyone is thinking it may land east of Lake Charles. This ***** has been all over the place
But this cone has been far less schizo than our resident cone when it comes to the coronavirus.
AeroAg1
AG
meatsweats said:

Not sure if it would it would overkill though 6250 Watts and 8500 starting watts

Don't go cheap on anything motorized. If it's too good to be true it is. Why buy it three times when you only need one good one.
Ag12thman
AG
Good point. Where'd you buy that one?
aggiedata
AG
gougler08 said:

Crazy how we had the Euro model west of Houston this morning and now everyone is thinking it may land east of Lake Charles. This ***** has been all over the place

Nitro Power
AG
meatsweats said:

Lol at harbor freight...

I bet you can return that piece of **** with an open box...I was told they accept a return on anything
Kenneth_2003
AG
agz win said:

meatsweats said:

Whatever you do don't leave gas in it for 11 years And counting having never used it and let it just sit there in the garage while it rusts.
Mnt father pulls his out about once a month and uses it to power the blower when he cleans the driveway. Fuel doesn't go bad and keeps things oiled.
94chem
rangerdanger said:

Most of the impulse generator buys on here are conventional typed right? Depending on your needs I would research buying an inverter generator, especially if you're planning on running "sensitive" equipment like phones and laptops. Should give a cleaner current and reduce the risk of frying stuff.

Couldn't you just use a surge protector like I use on my RV? My RV is 30 amp, so I plan to just move into there if we had an extended outage. Anything with 3500 running watts would power everything.
Daddy-O5
AG
meatsweats said:

I picked one of these up at Lowe's just in time to get home and find out I wouldn't need it. Was so proud of myself for snagging one too.
V8Aggie
AG
Actually the predator inverter generators at harbor freight are top notch and are recommended by everyone that's used one.
Seabreeze
Lowes I belive.
CFTXAG10
AG
I picked up the Firman H07552 7500 Watt from Lowe's this morning. I might return it and get one I actually want after research if I don't end up using it, but it's nice to have that peace of mind for the next 30 days.
dallasag00
AG
Generac whole home nat gas generator or GTFO. Power goes out, wait 5 seconds and then poof. Power back on, generator humming loudly to shame all neighbors. It is glorious.
Seabreeze
10 PM track. Little more East, but intensity up on Forecast
cone
AG
no I will not go out with you
LostInLA07
AG
Landfall will be Mississippi by morning
CFTXAG10
AG
LostInLA07 said:

Landfall will be Mississippi by morning
You spelled Florida wrong

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.