Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,684 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
Air Force Ags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
98Ag99Grad
AG
Damn- it's going to remain a depression across the eastern US then re-emerge off Canada and be a TS again? F that.
Seabreeze
So what are your realistic thoughts on Houston Neil? Not being a smart ass, I really would like to know..
BrazosDog02
AG
Generally, human beings are TERRIBLE at risk assessment. The fact people are scrambling for generators and lumber is a testament to this. Now, if this ends up being a nothing burger for Houston, you guys should start scouring Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for ALL of these generators that people bought, fired up to test, and then can't return, and decide they don't need anyway. Take advantage of the inability to assess risk after the storm is over and get some good deals.
Jock 07
AG
dallasag00 said:

Generac whole home nat gas generator or GTFO. Power goes out, wait 5 seconds and then poof. Power back on, generator humming loudly to shame all neighbors. It is glorious.

Do all the whole home generators run on natural gas? That's what my folks one runs on; turns on to run a self test once a week from my understanding.
aggiedata
AG
Cajuns got this

Cromagnum
AG
They can run on propane too.
AgLiving06
Then it's gonna loop around for round two
Cromagnum
AG
Recap of Hidalgo and Turners presser on the news. Good lord she sounds like a moron when she talks.
aggiedata
AG
This one is a Rita without the mass evacuation of Houston.

Bonfired
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Damn- it's going to remain a depression across the eastern US then re-emerge off Canada and be a TS again? F that.

Hurricane Ivan did something like that in 2004. Made landfall in Alabama as a strong Cat 3, moved NE, became a remnant low in the Atlantic, looped back around into the Gulf and actually made landfall as tropical depression Ivan near the TX/LA state line about 8 days after its first U.S. landfall.

My sister in Tennessee may end up seeing more rain from this than I do in SW Houston...
Seabreeze
Possible storm surge 30 miles inland
Cromagnum
AG
Oh no, here goes the "dont forget to be terrified of Covid while you are evacuating/ sheltering from the hurricane"...

You know, you need to be afraid of something unlikely to really harm you versus a force of nature that will ruin your *****
Seabreeze
Dora? Are they talking again?
Cromagnum
AG
No, just the local news fear mongering.
Cromagnum
AG
Bonfired said:

98Ag99Grad said:

Hurricane Ivan did something like that in 2004. Made landfall in Alabama as a strong Cat 3, moved NE, became a remnant low in the Atlantic, looped back around into the Gulf and actually made landfall as tropical depression Ivan near the TX/LA state line about 8 days after its first U.S. landfall.

My sister in Tennessee may end up seeing more rain from this than I do in SW Houston...

Just saw the rain forecast if current track holds. Looks like Brazoria County mostly gets 0.1 to 0.25 inches, with points west even less.
Seabreeze
Houston and Galveston even not in the cone anymore.
BCOBQ98
AG
I hope for Rita but is still knocked my power out for four days in Northeast Houston.
Post removed:
by user
Sazerac
AG
Sazerac said:

Still say this is another TX/LA border landfall. At CAT2

Monday 10am. Nailed it.
Faustus
Seabreeze said:

You should hunt, fish more, or join a BBQ team. Your generator will never leave you.

Also get mani/pedi's. Your generator won't be useful there, but grooming is important.
Faustus
aggiedata said:

gougler08 said:

Crazy how we had the Euro model west of Houston this morning and now everyone is thinking it may land east of Lake Charles. This ***** has been all over the place

So apparently it looked like it was coming everywhere at some point.

Seabreeze
Like good golf clubs, you dont spend that kinda coin to sit in the garage or attic.
mm98
AG
J.D. c/o 05 said:

meatsweats said:

Well I could pick it up and be out $800 but have some piece of mind.
Not sure if it would it would overkill though 6250 Watts and 8500 starting watts
Guess better to have more power than not enough

or get a smaller (quieter ) inverter generator.
Harbor Freight has a 2000W for $499

I picked one of these up at Lowe's just in time to get home and find out I wouldn't need it. Was so proud of myself for snagging one too.

You and me both. But we've needed one for a while. I don't regret it. May even inspire me to install a transit switch on my panel.
Ag12thman
AG
My mother-in-law recently had one installed that runs on propane.
cmag
I have an old Coleman 5kw that you could probably hear from where you are. I don't know where you are but it doesn't much matter, you could probably hear it. I'm sure the people on the Surfside jetties love me.
The TC Jester
Generators have become the middle aged male Tine board brag. We are washed up.
Big Al 1992
AG
Looks like Houston may get nothing more than 1-2 inches of rain. Folks in Lake Charles are unfortunately gonna get hammered.
Big Al 1992
AG
Difference between Laura and Harvey

culdeus
AG
Sazerac said:

Sazerac said:

Still say this is another TX/LA border landfall. At CAT2

Monday 10am. Nailed it.

Work on your intensity models imo
Ag_07
AG
Man KPRC is really trying to make this a Houston threat.

They've got live coverage from the seawall and just hammered the point that there a 40-50% chance of TS force winds on the east side of town.
dshedd41
S
http://spacecityweather.com/confidence-high-in-laura-landfall-near-texas-louisiana-border-tonight/
Gig’em Aggies!
Cromagnum
AG
Somebody is gonna get pounded on. Yikes.

SLAM
It's Cat 3 now and all signs point to continued rapid intensification. It's got the classic look of a Gulf monster.
gougler08
AG
Cromagnum said:

Somebody is gonna get pounded on. Yikes.

I'm selfishly really glad those models from yesterday morning were wrong

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.