Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,670 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
AgCPA95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
gougler08 said:

Need Laura to catch a lot of Cuba, if not i bet that track moves over Houston tomorrow

Yes we do. 24 hours from now we should a MUCH better picture about Laura is going to do. That seems to be a consistent message from all the meteorologists
bluefire579
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm literally only following this thread to Guage how worried I should be but I can't tell who is sarcastically talking about stocking up on water and stuff and who is serious.
Whether there's reason to worry or not, I'd recommend having a small stock just to be safe. Worst case, you have some food that doesn't spoil easily and extra batteries lying around. Just basic hurricane prepardness.
rancher1953
Look at the map of the 1900 hurricane that hit and destroyed Galveston, looks like the same track.
AgLiving06
Channel 2 said both the european and american models are both converging on slicing between Texas and Louisiana. said their in house model had it going more towards corpus though.

I have to wonder if Marco comes hard west as they now said if that won't push Laura east.
Anti-taxxer
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Channel 2 said both the european and american models are both converging on slicing between Texas and Louisiana. said their in house model had it going more towards corpus though.

I have to wonder if Marco comes hard west as they now said if that won't push Laura east.

What does their model know that the others don't, I wonder? Corpus isn't even close to the others.
BMX Bandit
rancher1953 said:

Look at the map of the 1900 hurricane that hit and destroyed Galveston, looks like the same track.

How many storms over past 120 years have taken similar path and not touched Houston with anything more than rain? Over 80?
Anti-taxxer
AG
BMX Bandit said:

rancher1953 said:

How many storms over past 120 years have taken similar path and not touched Houston with anything more than rain? Over 80?

True. There are thousands of factors that determine every wobble.

In looking at the 1900 map, it seems to have gone over most of Cuba. Laura is grazing it, correct?
htxag09
AG
bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm literally only following this thread to Guage how worried I should be but I can't tell who is sarcastically talking about stocking up on water and stuff and who is serious.
Whether there's reason to worry or not, I'd recommend having a small stock just to be safe. Worst case, you have some food that doesn't spoil easily and extra batteries lying around. Just basic hurricane prepardness.

This. And because of these storms i went ahead and bought two extra cases of bottled water at H-E-B When I was there last Wednesday. If it's nothing, just wont have to buy water for a couple months. We stocked up on non perishables in February/March due to Covid.
Chewy
AG
When is Rick Perry gonna declare all of 290 is outbound lanes to Hempstead?
AgLiving06
htxag09 said:

bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

This. And because of these storms i went ahead and bought two extra cases of bottled water at H-E-B When I was there last Wednesday. If it's nothing, just wont have to buy water for a couple months. We stocked up on non perishables in February/March due to Covid.

My wife reminded me that we stocked up on some water when we had that major water main break and all the water was suspect...because that happened in 2020 of course.
AgLiving06
Anti-taxxer said:

AgLiving06 said:

What does their model know that the others don't, I wonder? Corpus isn't even close to the others.

Probably nothing.

As everyone meteorologist will tell you, the NHC is the best there is. Whatever is guiding their forecast is probably the best we have right now.
Anti-taxxer
AG
AgLiving06 said:

htxag09 said:

bluefire579 said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

My wife reminded me that we stocked up on some water when we had that major water main break and all the water was suspect...because that happened in 2020 of course.

Jeez. That seems like seven years ago.
Seabreeze
Just a blob from the left overs of Marco comming off the Yucatan. But a few models are starting to pick up on it. Probably nothing but it is 2020.
jetch17
AG
Marco looks like a b***h
Seabreeze
Marco to the top, the left overs just East over the Yucatan trying to develop a low pressure center.
Anti-taxxer
AG
What does that mean? In very simple terms.
jefe95
AG
Marco left enough low pressure in his wake that another mass of storms is forming. May never actually develop a center. But if it starts churning. What is the next storm that begins with the letter N?
Anti-taxxer
AG
Nana
Ag_07
AG
Whats the thought process behind buying water?

When was the last time a storm knocked out the municipal water system?
jetch17
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

Nana

what was the meme I saw ... nana is gonna show up and make you pick your own switch for the whippin

Sounds about right
Anti-taxxer
AG
After Ike, we had to dump buckets of well water to get the toilets to flush.

I don't imagine the steady stream from a bottle of Ozarka would help with that, though.
htxag09
AG
Personally, I think it's something that is highly unlikely. I'd also guess some kind of contamination issue would be more likely than knocking out the water supply, but again highly unlikely. But it's just one of those risk vs reward things. If something does happen and we don't have water, I'd rather have some than have to worry about it at that point, fighting the rest of houston. When nothing does happen, I'll just keep it in the garage and won't have to buy water for the next couple months.
terradactylexpress
Ag_07 said:

Whats the thought process behind buying water?

When was the last time a storm knocked out the municipal water system?

Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think the issue is with power outages knocking pumps offline. But Centerpoint really does some phenomenal work during emergencies.
Cromagnum
AG
jetch17 said:

Anti-taxxer said:

Nana

what was the meme I saw ... nana is gonna show up and make you pick your own switch for the whippin

Sounds about right

terradactylexpress
Or if you have a treatment station flood etc. I don't recall exactly but I want to say it was really close to the station at TCJ&11th flooding and that would have put the heights area into a boil notice
AgLA06
AG
Lots of areas were under boil water restrictions during Ike.
Seabreeze
00Z runs. Marco path at the bottom more Westward but shear will, and is tearing it apart. Middle and top Laura track, little more East with intensity forecast staying about the same Cat 2 to 3

AgLiving06
Which models are these?
cone
AG
prepper 101

secure your water supply
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Tropical Tidbits
gougler08
AG
Sorry for our Cajun friends but would be happy for Laura to just head east. I think the key run will be tomorrow though once we figure out how Cuba impacted her
aggiedrew08
AG
https://spacecityweather.com/laura-now-grazing-cuba-set-to-threaten-texas-and-louisiana-by-mid-week/
Al Bula
AG
Seabreeze said:

Marco path at the bottom more Westward but shear will, and is tearing it apart.
Nice pun! Good work. When I read this, I was like

gougler08
AG
aggiedrew08 said:

https://spacecityweather.com/laura-now-grazing-cuba-set-to-threaten-texas-and-louisiana-by-mid-week/

30% chance...guess it could be way worse

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.