Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

515,621 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by V8Aggie
Fall92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Zobel said:

Galveston is already under a mandatory evacuation order.

I signed up for the Galveston emergency alert system and received the call at 6:50 am this morning regarding the mandatory evacuation.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Seabreeze
10:03 Pacific 12:03 here
Miles Finch
Anyone remember Hurricane Gilbert in 1988? Similar track as Laura and the models consistently predicted a Houston landfall, however it never turned north and took a straight line to Brownsville.
Nitro Power
AG
Question...What are the consequences of ignoring a mandatory evac order? I have always wondered how that works.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Bregxit said:

Fitch said:

Fitch said:

Got some copied/pasted text messages via my grad school buddy from his cousin who works at the hurricane center in Florida. He's an Ag, so if you're on this thread, thanks for looking out!

In essence says there's a reasonable possibility on the table Laura goes to Cat 4 up Galveston Bay, no necessarily that will happen. Also a fairly good chance Houston will be in the region of tropical storm winds.

Kind of crazy there's that much variability ~48 hours out.

Obligatory:

Update earlier this morning:
  • Situation is as bad as it gets for hurricane landfall.
  • Rapidly intensifying hurricane for next 36 hours very likely making it to category 4. Some guidance suggests cat 5.
  • Best analogy is Hurricane Michael (2018) that did catastrophic tree damage to Georgia.
  • If models verify for intensity and (if) location tracks over Houston metro then we're looking at severe wind damage up to the Woodlands & perhaps Huntsville, extended power outages will be possible as far north as Shreveport.
  • Have not seen something like this before if you live in southeast Texas.

Is your buddy's cousin Frank Billingsley's son or brother? That prediction seems pretty far fetched.

I laughed out loud.
gigemJTH12
AG
Nitro Power said:

Question...What are the consequences of ignoring a mandatory evac order? I have always wondered how that works.
Aggie_3
Detective Jake Peralta said:

Maybe 10:03 Pacific (12:03 central)? The live shot of Galveston is daytime.

I just watched this segment it was at 10:03 pacific time or 12:03 our time
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Miles Finch said:

Anyone remember Hurricane Gilbert in 1988? Similar track as Laura and the models consistently predicted a Houston landfall, however it never turned north and took a straight line to Brownsville.
Yep. And I recall vividly the words from ESPN the following Saturday - you're looking live at Kyle Field in College Station, Texas, where the Aggies will not be playing today.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Nitro Power said:

None.

But if you get stranded in your home, you don't get rescued by city services.
chimpanzee
NHS and Euros don't agree. That's awesome. TV graphic guy is going with Sharknado soon.

SLAM
Nitro Power said:

And Euro is the gold standard right?

It's the best model yes, but still just one model. NHC remains the best overall forecast. The fact that the Euro keeps on putting it over Galveston like that run after run is not a good sign though since it's within the NHC's cone.
Seabreeze
they can threaten with jail or fine, but they won't. The law will just tell you you're own your own dont call them. Durring Ike they were telling people who stayed to write their SS numbers in sharpie on their forearms for ID if they found them dead.
jetch17
AG
Miles Finch said:

i remember that as a kid as the only time my dad boarded our windows up and we bailed for grandparents in Dallas - and all for nothing
Kenneth_2003
AG
JJxvi said:

Seabreeze said:

They just showed this on the weather Channel

Those model tracks appear to have been initialized when the storm hadnt even crossed Cuba yet. Thats the most recent they wanna show us?

Day before last, well at midnight, their supposed live shot was in the daytime
BowSowy
AG
Seabreeze said:

they can threaten with jail or fine, but they won't. The law will just tell you you're own your own dont call them. Durring Ike they were telling people who stayed to write their SS numbers in sharpie on their forearms for ID if they found them dead.
I remember them saying that during Harvey, too. I wonder how many people actually have done that? The types of people who refuse to evacuate don't seem like the types of people who would listen and write their SSN on their arm
Anti-taxxer
AG
jetch17 said:

Miles Finch said:

i remember that as a kid as the only time my dad boarded our windows up and we bailed for grandparents in Dallas - and all for nothing

Every time I think of evacuating, I think of Rita. Tons of prep, and we didn't even get a gust of wind.

And some poor tree had to die to protect the inside of Loupot's windows.
BrazosDog02
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

so basically it all comes down to if you believe the Euro or all the others?
So.....how did the Euro handle Harvey?

Asking for a friend.
Anti-taxxer
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Asking for a friend.

Is your friend Camelclub? Or camelback? Cameltoe? Whatever
Nitro Power
AG
You do not want the answer to that question.
Anti-taxxer
AG
Nitro Power said:

You do not want the answer to that question.

Well now I do. What did the Euro say?
BowSowy
AG
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/at-times-during-harvey-the-european-model-outperformed-humans/
Fitch
AG
edit: see above

Blog post from Eric Berger of Space City Weather, btw...
zgood10
AG
BowSowy said:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/at-times-during-harvey-the-european-model-outperformed-humans/
FML
Nitro Power
AG
TommyBrady
AG
Breggy Popup
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

jetch17 said:

Miles Finch said:

Every time I think of evacuating, I think of Rita. Tons of prep, and we didn't even get a gust of wind.

Rita straight pissed me off. My wife and I had just moved back to Houston from BCS. Her family lived in Katy so she headed out there and I went to various friends' homes to help them board up. After 13 hours of that and finishing up in Sugar Land, I pointed the car up 99 toward Katy around 1am. I got there at 4am exhausted. Then nothing happened.
Charpie
AG
jetch17 said:

Miles Finch said:

I was in high school in the Valley. They let us out of school saying, "go help your families get ready for the storm. See you on Monday..hopefully." We boarded up, got a little bit of rain, and it hit La Pesca Mexico instead of Brownsville. LOL
BrazosDog02
AG
Anti-taxxer said:

BrazosDog02 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Asking for a friend.

I can assure you I have no idea who you are talking about, but these are solid texags handles if thats what these are.
Anti-taxxer
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Anti-taxxer said:

BrazosDog02 said:

gigemJTH12 said:

Asking for a friend.

I can assure you I have no idea who you are talking about, but these are solid texags handles if thats what these are.

Hahahahaha

It's someone who keeps coronabombing the thread; asking if Fauci predicted Harvey, if the hurricane is gonna stir up Covid particles, and if we are as scared as we were before Harvey.
Fitch
AG
Interesting note on the euro model from the above link:
Quote:

The European model is the best forecasting system in the world for several reasons, most notably because the European modeling center has invested heavily in their model. It has the most advanced computer hardware and has devised the best system to assimilate real-time meteorological observations into its model for future runs. This means the model runs start with the most accurate initial conditions.

When looking at the data, we see several interesting trends. Among the global models, through a 72-hour forecast, the UK model is generally a little bit more accurate than the European model. However at longer time frames, four- and five-day forecasts, the European model shows its class. In fact, the four-day forecasts of the European model were more accurate than the consensus model or even the human forecasters at the National Hurricane Center who weigh all of this data to make their five-day forecasts and draw the cone of uncertainty.

Also of note? NOAA's new hurricane model, the HMON, performed terribly.
Premium
AG
Fitch said:

Interesting note on the euro model from the above link:
Quote:

The European model is the best forecasting system in the world for several reasons, most notably because the European modeling center has invested heavily in their model. It has the most advanced computer hardware and has devised the best system to assimilate real-time meteorological observations into its model for future runs. This means the model runs start with the most accurate initial conditions.

When looking at the data, we see several interesting trends. Among the global models, through a 72-hour forecast, the UK model is generally a little bit more accurate than the European model. However at longer time frames, four- and five-day forecasts, the European model shows its class. In fact, the four-day forecasts of the European model were more accurate than the consensus model or even the human forecasters at the National Hurricane Center who weigh all of this data to make their five-day forecasts and draw the cone of uncertainty.

Also of note? NOAA's new hurricane model, the HMON, performed terribly.

Since we are two days out, sounds like Euro is less accurate than the UK
plain_o_llama
Anti-taxxer said:

jetch17 said:

Miles Finch said:

People forget that the context for Rita was a few weeks after Katrina and it had reached a lower pressure than Katrina while out in the Caribbean. After watching the utter chaos of New Orleans people totally freaked out. Knew a couple of people in west Houston that were told by their spouse "we are leaving with or without you." Another told me about relatives calling from the Northeast sobbing on the phone, "you and the kids have to leave."

The other side effect of the Katrina coverage was a fear of looting. It may have been silly for Loupots to worry about looting but I figured that was their thinking when they realized how difficult it was to mount plywood on their brick exterior.

YMMV
BowSowy
AG
Keep in mind - just because the Euro handled Harvey very well, it doesn't necessarily mean it will/has handled Laura well. Using the same Albany Mean Absolute Error thing that Berger used in that blog post, it looks like UKX has been handling Laura the best so far (I assume UKX is the UK Met model?)

Still concerning to see the Euro's prediction, though.

BusinessAg
The newest UKMET just shifted south and west 70 miles.
JYDog90
AG
Nitro Power said:

Death...or if you survive, the news crew interviews you as you're standing in the middle of rubble with your clothes all tattered talking about how "Me and Verleen were holdin' onto the water heater for dear life as it sounded like a freight train was coming through our livin' room..." and someone on Texags recognizes you and plasters you all over this thread, kinda like the moron who drove his Camry into the high water and had to be rescued on live TV.

That's about all that'll happen to you.
Formerly Willy Wonka

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.