Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

527,401 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXTransplant said:

LostInLA07 said:

The ISDs are beacons of great decision making this year.

Just got an apology email from the Superintendent taking responsibility for the decision.

Can't be too angry when someone admits to messing up and apologizes.
Good for him/her for doing that
cone
AG
hey lam it's raining again in the 401
OXDL45
AG
Which ISD was that?
K Bo
AG

plain_o_llama
Where is that?
K Bo
AG
The Omni Hotel on Woodway just W of 610. Due to it's lo(w)cation right on the bayou it seems to flood any time there are substantial rains.
AgLiving06
HtownAg92 said:

Bayou level is just one of the problems in Meyerland. Street drainage into the bayou is another. When the water runs to the bayou and cannot through, it fills up the neighborhood even if bayou is in its banks. Houses started flooding during Harvey before bayou topped. It eventually didn't matter because it later topped, but that happened. That's why I live on the Norf-side now.

I agree. This is just one of the issues.

We got what should have been a completely manageable amount of rain. Something like 10 inches in 24 hours should not have the area on the edge of everything being over the banks.

It's already looking like Project Brays is turning out to be insufficient to manage the water.
TXTransplant
OXDL45 said:

Which ISD was that?

Tomball
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Just don't go to the basement/Black Swan
https://abc13.com/jill-renick-omni-houston-hotel-hurricane-harvey-wrongful-death-lawsuit/3561750/
The story isn't that [DeSantis] "couldn't win" the primary. The story is that an overwhelming majority of our population is heinously stupid. 50% of them vote for communists. 75% of the remaining 50% vote for Trump, who cant win. When the majority of the opposition party insists on voting for an opposition candidate who can't win, you get exactly the government you deserve. - Well Endowed Ag
CoachRTM
AG
htxag09 said:

A screenshot from a video someone posted on my Facebook nextdoor. White Oak bayou, the hike and bike bridge just east of tc jester.

This is near us. Just for comparison, that house in the distance had 3-5 feet of water during Harvey.
K Bo
AG
Yep, can't believe they're still in business
jc1402
AG
I just went under contract on a house there. Watching these white oak bayou levels very closely.
cone
AG
sunshining again
RK
AG
raining again
lamivudine
cone said:

sunshining again
nah
Fitch
AG
So what's the deal with the radar futurecast blowing up around sunset? Another band coming or this thing melting away?
htxag09
AG
Just picked up pretty good again in rice military
spadilly
S
spadilly
S
Ag_07
AG
That doesn't look good for White Oak Bayou
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Meyerland update? It's been a couple hours.
lamivudine
Ducks4brkfast said:

Meyerland update? It's been a couple hours.
sunny/cone
Jet Black
Raining pretty good in the heights now.
Jackal99
AG
Space City Update

Quote:

Beta is a messy storm and unpredictable, so this is just one forecast and far from gospel. Still, this model (and others) indicate the heaviest rains during the next 12 hours will probably stay north, and current radar trends support the idea that high rainfall rates will be most prominent across north, northeastern Harris County and into Liberty County.

Were such rain totals to come further south into Harris County they would pose a big risk to areas like Meyerland and Westbury, which have recorded in excess of 10 inches of rain over the last 24 hours. However, we have seen some good falls in Brays Bayou today which are continuing. So a few inches, which is our current expectation, are probably manageable, but 10 inches would be pretty bad.
ETA: Bold is mine, but they did the italics.
wessimo
AG
Dumping in the Cottage Grove again. Have had about 8" since early this morning.
cone
AG
I don't fuxx wit Meyerland

overcast at Newcastle and Bellaire tho. streets are completely clear.
BBRex
AG
I'm in the Hollister-Tidwell area, and we emptied an overflowing 5-inch rain gauge this morning, and we had another two inches of rain by early afternoon today. It's been raining hard and steady for at least an hour now. I bet we fill it up again by tonight if this keeps up. (You can decide if how much you trust a rain gauge that's glass tube being held by a frog with an umbrella.)
Jackal99
AG
Brays Bayou with Atwell bridge. You can see some of the trash marking the higher water line on the far right side. It's gone down quite a bit from a few hours ago, and you can see maybe a foot of concrete.

For comparison, this was around noon. Again, you can see the higher waterline from earlier.

spadilly
S
5:00 pm update from the NWS

Quote:

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
459 PM CDT Tue Sep 22 2020

.SHORT TERM [Tonight through Wednesday Night]...

Tropical Depression Beta, currently over southwestern portions of the CWA, has produced some very healthy rounds of heavy rain over portions of SE TX overnight/early this morning. There have been a lot of reports of flooded roadways, overtopping of bayous/creeks, and water rescues through early this afternoon. We did have a bit of a break this afternoon, but there is concern that this heating (albeit short) will help to fuel another round of heavy rains for this late afternoon through tonight. Near-term models (especially HRRR/NAM) have verified rather well of late, and if going forward with this line of thinking, we could see another band of rains develop close to where the earlier one set up this morning.

Rainfall totals so far today have averaged from 5 to 10 inches with isolated amounts up to 15 inches. Unfortunately, we are still going with these same numbers for this evening. And so depending on where these bands set up...we could see an *additional* 5 to 10 inches of rain with isolated amounts up to 15 inches possible tonight. Bayous and drainage systems are expected to be quickly overwhelmed if this forecast verifies. Please exercise extreme caution if traveling out on the roadways tonight and tomorrow morning. As Beta moves further east tomorrow, rain chances will be slowly decreasing from the west to east.
BQ_90
AG

Saw this on another board, it might be shopped but it's still funny
plain_o_llama
I foresee a financial setback.
BQ_90
AG
plain_o_llama said:

I foresee a financial setback.
I foresee somebody upside down on a truck note
Cromagnum
AG
Its TWC, so grain of salt, but all hell breaks loose on their future radar.

https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/29.78,-95.38
Fitch
AG
Yeah, that's what I was watching earlier. Basically everything north of downtown and out to Beaumont going red around sunset.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
The Weather Channel is garbage. Their website is just as bad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.