Houston
Sponsored by

Tropical two-fer

521,650 Views | 3418 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by V8Aggie
gigemJTH12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For what it's worth that guy predicted Harvey better than any national service
JobSecurity
AG
Radar clearly shows movement already toward the border. It's not coming to Houston stop freaking people out.
Dr. Doctor
AG
I cannot imagine the storm surge and LC and the LNG plants.

I was designing for Trunkline and I don't think they were ever planning on a 15-20 ft surge. That would put most of the major equipment, barring the compressors, under water by a lot. And before you can turn it on, you have to make sure it is all dry inside. Any leaks, especially if the equipment is moved/damaged by the water, means that site is out of service for a while. Not just in fixing equipment, but commissioning and starting up again.

I think there are like 5 LNG facilities over there. Hope the control room is elevated...

~egon
jetch17
AG
LOOK OUT AUSTIN!
gougler08
cmag
UncleNateFitch said:

Nagler said:

lawless89 said:

I sure hope the fact that the weather channel and all other news station are correct in not even mentioning Houston anymore...because it seems like a lot of us here think differently! Hope we are wrong! Would be absolutely catastrophic if it didn't turn.

I'm choosing to believe the pros and not a bunch of fandoms on the internet that just started staring at spinning clouds.

I with you, but not all the experts agree.

LOL. One of those is the extrapolation model dude. So there's one outlier.
Fitch
AG
Indianola is also a great restaurant on the other side of 69.
HossAg
AG
I'm on a pipeline project for an LNG facility that's currently in construction down there in Cameron. No telling how far this is gonna set back the facility and line construction. No one really started thinking it could be bad till around Sunday.
schmendeler
AG
bearkatag15
AG
schmendeler
AG
HossAg said:

I'm on a pipeline project for an LNG facility that's currently in construction down there in Cameron. No telling how far this is gonna set back the facility and line construction. No one really started thinking it could be bad till around Sunday.
are there two Camerons in texas?
V8Aggie
AG
Cart update @ Sea Isle.

There is a slight breeze via the palm leaves I can see. The water you see on the concrete is just where there is a deck above and prior rain. House lot elevation is about 5 feet.

Will keep posting as storm continues.
Dr. Doctor
AG
HossAg said:

If they have plans in place, Sunday till now gives them some time. You should be able to secure the equipment and some materials. I was just thinking about how do you get that stuff back online; I know pipeline guys just totes love having excess capacity with no where to put it.

I think you'll see at least 3 months, if not more, before those get back up and running. Construction might be faster, assuming materials and equipment don't float away...

~egon
HossAg
AG
Cameron LA. Southwest corner of LA.
schmendeler
AG
HossAg said:

Cameron LA. Southwest corner of LA.
ah ok.
cone
AG
our tank guys were saying the LNG tanks are designed for 150 mph gusts

no clue if that's really true or where and how it shows up on the design documents, but i'm pretty curious as to what those roofs are going to look like in the morning

also, what are the flare stacks designed for? i assume all the boil off gas from the tanks is getting flared during this event. it's got no place to go and the atmosphere is going below normal pressure. that's no big deal, but still this is something that only gets discussed in HAZOP rabbit holes in my experience.
HossAg
AG
Yeah the start up is gonna take forever for the facilities m in operation. I'm halfway expecting our pipeline to just pop out of the ground.
HelloUncleNateFitch
cmag said:

UncleNateFitch said:

Nagler said:

lawless89 said:

I sure hope the fact that the weather channel and all other news station are correct in not even mentioning Houston anymore...because it seems like a lot of us here think differently! Hope we are wrong! Would be absolutely catastrophic if it didn't turn.

I'm choosing to believe the pros and not a bunch of fandoms on the internet that just started staring at spinning clouds.

I with you, but not all the experts agree.

LOL. One of those is the extrapolation model dude. So there's one outlier.

There's one that shows movement west toward Houston before going north, wise guy.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
JobSecurity said:

Radar clearly shows movement already toward the border. It's not coming to Houston stop freaking people out.
user name
JJxvi
AG
I like cyclocane.com to follow when landfall is imminent because you can see whether the most recent NHC position is compared to where the spaghetti models were mostly going.
HotardAg07
AG
European

UK
tk for tu juan
cone said:

our tank guys were saying the LNG tanks are designed for 150 mph gusts

no clue if that's really true

Yes, minimum required wind design is typically 3 second gusts, and where it is located determines the the design wind speed to use. There is a conversion factor to relate it to the wind speeds used in hurricane classifications
Cromagnum
AG
I'm not sure where the stream will be posted but this is the Harvey (blue shed) chaser.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski?s=04
BowSowy
AG
Not sure when they were built, but current ASCE guidance has design 3-sec gust speeds of 140-170ish mph for the texas coast, depending on the risk category for buildings and other structures. I'm not sure if petro facilities have their own design criteria. I know offshore facilities typically use metocean data for their specific locations to develop design wind speeds. The project i'm working on now has 3-sec gust speeds of 155mph at 130' above sea level and 1 minute sustained wind speeds of 172mph.
JD Shellnut
AG
I just left the trans-Cameron line myself. WHC's yard over in Grand Chenier is gonna be gone!
cone
AG
maybe it's designed for 150

but good for 200?

like piping design vs burst *looks for a silver lining*
Oh Four Five
AG
HossAg said:

If you're working the project I'm thinking of, they have a massive ~30' storm wall that's supposed to be able to withstand this. I'd be more concerned about the levee breaking. I suppose it's going to be a good pre-production test.
Onceaggie2.0
So we are getting or not this thread is confusing?
Motis B Totis
AG
can you add a time stamp to you cam screen?
cone
AG
Quote:

The project i'm working on now has 3-sec gust speeds of 155mph at 130' above sea level and 1 minute sustained wind speeds of 172mph.
just curious how this works

what's more robust? a design for sustained speed higher than a 3-sec gust?

i was just thinking that the gust speed would generally be higher than sustained (i.e. a storm with 172 mph winds is going to have gusts higher than that), but i have no idea.
CW Griswold
V8Aggie said:

Cart update @ Sea Isle.

There is a slight breeze via the palm leaves I can see. The water you see on the concrete is just where there is a deck above and prior rain. House lot elevation is about 5 feet.

Will keep posting as storm continues.

The devastation is ghastly. I am surprised KHOU is not covering it.
-
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG

Fall92
AG
A friend of mine riding out the storm at Pointe West sent this pic from around Redfish Cove on the bayside. It's already up 15-20 ft From where the water is normally, which is right around where the fire pit rocks are.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
spadilly
S
Marked the eye at 1:20 and went to the latest radar scan (1:57) to check the movement:

1:20
spadilly
S
1:57

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.